It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:55 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

As it comes closer to the date of bringing home our little guy i have found myself once again religiously on the computer reading all the bengal cat forums that i can lay my eyes on.
It's been a long time coming waiting for our little man Luca (over a year now) and I have been able to do a lot of thorough research on the breed and feel like i have spoken to every breeder in Canada, USA and even the UK and my boyfriend and I are very happy to be getting our f1 in a few weeks.
Despite all of the horror stories I have read on here and elsewhere, i feel that raising any animal mostly comes down to nurture more than nature. Thats not to say nature doesn't play a huge roll though and we are well prepared to handle whatever Luca throws at us. We realize what a big commitment this is and how lucky we are to be in the position of be able to get an f1 and we do not take it lightly.
Our little man will have full one of the house (along with our 4 year old male) as we do not feel it is ethical for him to spend his life living in a cage...i read a lot of forums and see lots of youtube videos where owner/breeders say that these animals belong in cages as she are hostile and do not make good pets. all i have to say to that is if you put any animal in a cage, of course they will become timid and shy!
Nope, Luca will be part of the family and we embrace all the quirks that go along with owning these bengals.
We will be bringing him home i think late april (he is coming form USA so still waiting for a few pieces of paper work) when he is about 12 weeks old. I will post pictures once i have him;i don't want to post the ones the breeder has send me as that would seem not right as i don not have ownership of them. but i can tell you he is really gorgeous :)

i am curious to hear about other peoples experiences with introducing a bengal kitten to an adult cat so i will open up a thread for that too :)

i look forward to getting to know you all as we watch our babies progress!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:30 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I just commented on your other post! I do think every situation is different as all cats and owners are different. There is a YouTube video on Jean Mill, who pretty much started the bengal breed. She is seen holding and handling these EG cats. She treated them like children. While an F1 is not for everyone, you seem to understand that the EGs need specialized care. You have another cat (non-bengal) and the key to your happy household is if these two can get along. With Luca being the kitten, it may work out, however both of your cats are males. I don't know how easy it is to get an F1 to use a litter box and you probably need at least 3 boxes.

I don't like to see cats caged either and I know you want Luca to become a real member of your family. Please post pictures when you get a chance as I know we would all love to see Luca and Avi.