It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: urinating problem
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:04 am 
Bengal Kitten

hi , i have a male bengal his name is pup a year and a half old . neutered . and a himilayan female 14 yrs old . spayed . they get along very well most of the time . pup likes to groom her and wants to play but the himilayan is old and wants no part of it !! the problem is pup has his own large litter box in a secluded area but he prefers to pee on the floors . we have moved the box several times to see if it would work , changed litter frequently . but still pees where he wants. there are no cats or dogs in our neighbourhood . any suggestions on what to do ????????????

Post subject: Re: urinating problem
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:24 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Does Pup use the litter box to poop in? Add more litter boxes. If you have two cats, you need at least three. Location is also important. You've moved the litter box around and changed the type of litter. Moving an existing box around only confuses the cat as to where he needs to go to the bathroom. The key is to add two more litter boxes to the mix. Also, the type of litter box is important. Some cats want an open litter box, some don't mind a covered litter box. The box has to be large enough for the cat. If Pup has a favorite place he likes to go, put a new litter box there and see if he will use it. You need to also make sure you clean up the urine with an enzyme cleaner that can get rid of any odor as a cat will return again and again.

Of course, you need to rule out anything health-wise that could be causing this. A urinary tract infection could be the culprit. It would seem to me your older kitty (who is probably getting stressed out by your bengal) would have the problem and not the younger one.

There are thousands of websites that talk about this problem. Google is your friend! I know this is a horrible problem to have, but it can be solved. Good luck.

Post subject: Re: urinating problem
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:36 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Sherry nailed it.

Kai started peeing ON TOP of his litterbox, and then on the carpet right beside it. I found out it was too small for him.

What I did was buy a new, larger box as well as different litter and i literally couldn't even get it set up before he was peeing in it. Haven't had a problem since.

But make sure you do rule out medical issues...because you never know.

I recently made a large litterbox out of a tupperware with a circle cut out the top so Kai climbs in and out through the top. Its a great big box with LOTS of litter to dig in and his own privacy...and its super easy to move, clean, etc. I really recommend trying this out.

Good luck!