It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Spay complications
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:57 pm 
Bengal Kitten

So Luna went in for her spay on Friday. She did well and everything looked fine. She was a bit wired on Friday night but finally went to sleep at 3am. Saturday she slept all day. She had a bit of diarrhea with bloody mucous. I didn't give her the NDSAID the next day because I know it can be hard on the digestive system. On Monday morning I called the vet. She gave me some sulcrate to coat Luna's stomach before giving her the NSAID.

Now my concern is that she has developed a large lump under her incision. First though seroma. My vet is great and asked me to send her pictures before stressing Luna out with another vet trip. I sent pictures this morning and she did ask me to bring her in for an X-ray. So now she's with the vet and I'm nervous. I know there have been other spay threads but not much about Seromas or other complications. The other possibility the vet mentioned is a reaction to the sutures.

Anyone experience something similar? She had a midline spay which is common practice in Canada. It has been a huge struggle to keep her from jumping and I think that might be the cause for a seroma.

Post subject: Re: Spay complications
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:37 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Not a cat but our dog had a big lump, the size of an apple, develop at the top part of his incision after he had stomach surgery. I had the vet check just to be safe but they were confident it would resolve once the stitches came out and they were right. Basically the stitches were irritating the tissue in that spot and causing fluid to build up.

Hopefully the vet has some good news for you soon.

Clyde, Bleu & Coal - Great Danes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:52 pm 
Bengal Kitten

The vet confirmed that it is a build up of fluid. Her internal sutures all still look good. She mentioned that she had success draining seromas in the past but Luna's isn't big enough yet for her to want to do that. She said we could also do a wrap around her belly to apply some pressure but neither of us think Luna will keep that on for long. She really doesn't like having anything on her.

After getting her home though I noticed some bruising had started. I think this happened while she was struggling to get into the carrier. I was avoiding holding her around her belly but she was squirming so much who knows what happened. I feel awful though. The vet asked me to send update pictures over the weekend and she will take a look next week.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:36 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

If it doesn't get too much bigger you may want to leave it until it's time for her sutures to come out. Good luck!

Clyde, Bleu & Coal - Great Danes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:38 pm 
Bengal Cat

One of mine had a Seroma, the internal stitches felt pretty in tact when i kind of moved the fluid to the side, so I wasn't too concerned, although it did get as big as a golf boll (maybe even two side by side it was pretty big).

It took about 3 weeks to go down, she still has a flappy skin area there, and as she's gaining some extra wait recently (she's about 15 months old now) its started to build up fat in the flap for some reason, kind of weird but no big.

I did take her in for a check up at one week after the spay and the doc did an ultrasound or something. She asked me if I wanted to drain it and I ended up not draining it because she was on the fence and I just decided to give it some time.

She never had any kind of bleeding or weird looking stitches or vomiting or any other complications though.
She seemed totally fine and bouncy same day she got out of surgery