It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:16 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:32 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi there.

As some of you know Dexter has TF and we are treating both of our cats. Dexter's poo is very bad and watery whereas Muskey's is still loose but not as bad as Dexter's.

We now have both cats separate. Dexter in back room where I spend most of my day ironing etc so he has lots of company and Muskey in our bedroom (dh for now is sleeping in the spare room!) so that he can spend sleepy time with me. There's nothing like your cat scraping around in the litter tray and then jumping back under the covers with you :rolleyes:

Every time I turn over he does too which at least brings a smile to my face and he is loving the company at night time.

Anyway, Muskey is definitely improving poop wise and did a beautifully solid poop the other day the first in a long time. Dexter is exactly the same with no improvement at all. This is day 5 of a two week treatment course and I am getting extremely downhearted and worried.

Can anyone advise whether I should have seen an improvement by now? The Vet has asked me to contact them after 7 days which will be on Weds if there is no improvement. I think they may try a combination of the TF treatment with another drug.

I so much want Dexter to be well and healthy. I know he is not happy and I feel his quality of life at the moment is very poor :sad:

Many thanks.

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:46 pm 
Bengal Cat

To go into more detail with mine.

The first treatment of 30MG per kg per day, I saw some improvement after about a week. It went from water to where it looked formed coming out but kinda settled into a pile. Most of the blood and mucous was gone but it still had a wet look. The last couple days of the treatment it looked about 80% normal, and I figured that last bit was just his inflamed digestive system. About 3 or 4 days later it started to slowly slip back into how it was before and about 8 days after treatment it was completely back with the rotten smell and shiny and everything. So basically I didn't see results until about a week into the first treatment myself.

Second treatment about two weeks after stopping the first of 30mg per kg now at TWICE a day and about 48 hours in, his poop looked and smelled completely normal and firm enough to call normal.

So... Either the higher dose was necessary, or the first dose gave him some room to heal enough that he's responding better to the second dose.

I've read many people saying their cat responded right away. Mine definitely didn't. I do think you will see improvement at some point even if you haven't seen it yet at a week in. ...but you might be like me to where it just didn't knock it out. I didn't need a test to tell me that it didnt. It was obvious by a week after treatment. I've also read a few people on the internet saying they didn't see any improvement but it tested good after, and eventually (a few weeks after the fact) the diarrhea cleared up. Given how mine looks and smells, it was fairly obvious it didn't clear up. It looked like more than the runs. The surface has a sort of petrolium jelly / Vaseline look to it, there's strings of thick mucous, a moderate amount of blood, and the smell reminds me of sulfur / rotten eggs. One thing I did notice the first time around was that the sulfur smell cleared up right away even though the diarrhea didn't. It just smelled like normal really terrible diarrhea smell instead of rotten chemical diarrhea.

I guess it was easier for me to scrutinize because he seems to hold it until I come home from work (probably sleeping), and the second I walk in he would go and explode out of excitement. I would move him out of the box to wipe him and so he wouldn't try to bury it because he's not very good at not stepping it it. I was pretty much able to see every time he goes without litter on it right when he did it, which made it a lot easier to track results with.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:04 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thank you for replying that's really helpful.

Your experiences sound very similar to what is happening here.

I too have noticed although the diarrhoea is still the same the smell doesn't appear to be as bad although as soon as I catch him doing anything I usually try and clean the tray immediately afterwards.

Do you have to change the litter every single time they poop? If it was one big poop wouldn't be a problem but he is doing so little at a time, tiny tiny drops of poop and is in and out of the litter tray a lot. I would literally have to stand there all day and night long filling and emptying the litter tray.

I'm just praying that the TF is getting killed off and that it's possibly just his gut recovering now or maybe a little of both?

Did you have your cats on cooked chicken throughout treatment or just their regular cat food? I have been doing both as not sure I should change over completely just to poached chicken and fish in case he is missing out on essential vitamins. What do you do?

Dexter is on the same treatment of 30mg/kg so maybe that's just not enough and he needs a higher dose. Will be speaking to the Vet anyway on Weds.

Many thanks again.

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:12 am 
Bengal Cat

I don't think you need to be super crazy about litter changing. From what I heard it's not very lively outside of the cat (15 minutes to a half hour) as long as you scoop it regularly .

Unlike Tf's cousin Giardia... which can go into armor mode and stay alive on surfaces for a long time apparently.

Still though, I changed the litter about halfway and near the end of treatment for good measure. Rinsed off the hard toys and clean out the food and water bowls with soapy water every night, but I do that anyway.

I gave him some rabbit that I had for a few days that aggreed with him but for the most part I haven't been doing the chicken thing for him. My last cat got boiled chicken and overcooked/extra watered white rice with a spot of pumpkin mixed in on occasion when dealing with giardia when she was a kitten, it helped her a little but not as much as I'd hoped. One food I liked a lot is the natures instinct limited duck, it's expensive though. . It seems to agree with both of my cats. Not a fan of science diet but they make one that I think is called I/D gastrointestinal health that vets carry and it's better than you know... fancy feast or whatever, and it's a lot more affordable than the natures variety instinct one. Be careful messing with the food too much though, you dont want to make the situation worse with a bunch of dietary changes.

My cats TF seems to be gone on tests now, but is now showing campylobacter on the full panel I ran. Weird, I guess he maybe had it all along.
I'm treating him for that now (it takes a whole different class of antibiotics and the one for TF doesn't help it) so I'm thinking he'll be okay after this last treatment.

He is gaining a lot of weight now so clearly the TF seems like it's resolved.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:39 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thanks for that really interesting.

I've jotted down the name of the food you mentioned although won't be doing any drastic changes until I talk to the vet as like you said don't want to upset his tum again.

Dexter was on that I/d Gastro food for quite some time and it didn't make any difference at all which is strange as just giving him the minced lamb seems to have cleared his diarrhoea? I would have thought the I/d food wouldn't have cleared the problem up too? Strange.

It's really annoying that you have to keep giving different antibiotics. I've lost track of what Dexter has been given so far.

Debbie