[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Probiotic treatment?
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Probiotic treatment?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:09 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi there.

What do you think of probiotic treatments? I'm thinking it may help Dexter with his TF. Possibly build up some good bacteria and settle him a little?

I've found this online and have ordered it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004 ... ge_o00_s00

What do you think? It won't cause any difficulties if he takes this with his TF treatment will it?

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie

Post subject: Re: Probiotic treatment?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:50 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I have been giving my cats Holistic Select Digestive Remedies, Holistic Transition since September. They both had soft BM and Blondie really had a problem. She was tested 3 times and the vet gave her a 2 week prescription just because the symptoms did not go away. She is much better now but I see a relapse when I stop the probiotic so I just keep giving it to them as advised by the vet. It is so much better than her suffering with messy poo. Blondie is prone to sensitivities if not allergies. She gets red itchy eyes when she is outside a lot. She seems to be growing out of her delicate condition finally at 9 months old.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:13 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thank you. I've heard good things about Probiotics so might get some to sprinkle in his food.

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:56 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

It can't hurt thats for sure, Prokolin is a good one that you have bought. Another which I think is great is Forti flora - I get mine from Fetch.co.uk and comes the next day :smile:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:11 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

We have a friend with a Siberian that gets Forti Flora daily with her food. The cat loves it and it keeps her from being gassy (that's why the vet recommended it).

Clyde, Bleu & Coal - Great Danes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:51 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thanks for replies. Started both cats on pro kilin and TF treatment today.

Have them separated (vet didn't say I had to but thought I would) in different rooms with litter trays. They are both screaming their heads off and making a huge fuss as they are inseparable despite one being 14 years old and the other 8 months.

I'm thinking of keeping them separate for a week and if poop is better putting them together again.

I really hope this works.

Debbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:00 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Debbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:03 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Just to let you know the Forti Flora is a bit cheaper on Amazon than Fetch, here's the link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/FortiFlora-Feli ... orti+flora

Debbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:19 pm 
Bengal Cat

When I rescued my first cat she came with roundworms, hookworms, and giardia among other things. She was super sickly and stunted.

Treatment worked right away (she tested clean on multiple tests) but it took quite some time to get her stomach back in line. I didn't feel like fortiflora helped her a whole lot, but it's really hard to tell with these things. I will say that shortly (a weeks worth maybe) after I started giving her benebac, her stomach finally settled down (about 3 months after treatment so it was still loose for quite a while). I had also been feeding her raw for about a month at that time, which naturally hardened things up because of the bone, but I did feel like I probably got results from the benebac.... probably, because even though the raw made things a little harder it seemed (by the texture and consistancy) that it was just masking the diarrhea.

That said, Ive been using a little fortiflora for the bengal and his TF every few days and benebac also every few days. I actually continue to buy the fortiflora for my first cat because she is a super picky eater and sometimes she will snub her food, it gets her interested. Fortiflora has got some kind of flavoring in it that must be like seasoning. careful though I think the flavor is a little addictive for them if they are picky eaters.

I have no idea if it's really helping as the TF medicine clears up the symptoms when he's on it on it's own. Like I mentioned in the other post I think this second treatment is working better than the first. Anyway I like to think that benebac and fortiflora are helping him, but it's so hard to really know whether it's coincidence or not that I couldn't say positively that either is.

I've also found natures variety limited turkey and duck seem to be easier on his stomach as far as food goes. Kind of pricey though. When I try to mix in a little evo chicken+turkey (goto when I run out of raw for my other cat because while it's far from my favorite, it's decent and fairly reasonably priced in the large cans) or wellness core beef and lamb grain free, they upset his tummy even in small amounts. He hasnt had raw just yet. I hope to switch him over to raw and evo some day but I didn't want to make any big changes since his stomach was in such a really bad bad state from this TF and he seemed to do the best on those two limited ingredient ones, better than what the breeder had him on as well. Honestly I would feed all raw for both of them once he gets better but it's hard to make time to make it. I have a smallish freezer and it goes fast. Just biting the bullet on price of those canned ones for a couple months.

Anyway I know were kind of in the same boat right now. Hope things are going well for dex.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:10 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thanks so much for your reply on both my posts I appreciate it as it's interesting to hear how you are getting on too. I really hope the second treatment clears it up completely for you.

I am treating both of my cats even though we only had one tested (Dexter). Muskey also had loose stools and as they are inseparable I am pretty sure he has it too as beforehand we had never had any problems with Muskey at all. They have both been separated for now.

We have both of them on the TF treatment and Pro Kolin so it's interesting comparing how they are both coming along.

Musky did his second lovely (never thought I'd ever describe poop as lovely!) poop today. He looks very well and even his coat which has always been a little thin near the back is starting to grow back. Can't see the TF treatment healing his coat and think that may be down to the Pro Kolin. I have read that elderly cats can benefit from Pro Kolin as they can't absorb nutrients as well when they get older.

Dexter on the other hand is still quiet and not himself. His poop is very bad although today was the first day he didn't pass lots of mucus and it seemed a tiny bit better but I am thinking this is more hope on my part than anything else.

Apart from a small amount of cat food he has in the morning mixed with the Probiotic I have fed him on poached chicken for the last couple of days so I'm hoping this will help settle his tum. I'm also going to get some white fish in for him too.

Debbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:45 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Debbie,
Have you tried chicken and rice? It's not a permanent fix but when Blondie was having issues, my vet suggested giving her chicken and rice once or twice a week and it worked nicely. It didn't solve the runny poo problem, she needed medicine and probiotics for that, but it gave her some relief for a few days poor baby. I used brown rice and chicken, 50/50 and pulsed it in the food processor. It took her a while to eat it, she usually inhales her food.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:34 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Pumpkin is often recommended for runny poo problems. Weruva even has a chicken and pumpkin formula. They also sell pumpkin in some pet stores (I think it's in the dog section :rolleyes: ) and in whole foods. You need to make sure that it is unsweetened kind, then you can just mix a little bit in with their normal food.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:47 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Didn't know that about pumpkin!

Debbie, Applaws do chicken and pumpkin, it's not a complete food but may be worth a try if you can get to a pet shop. My two pick the pumpkin out and leave unfortunately though, so be warned!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:54 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

He's no better today unfortunately this is the 7th day now :sad:

I tried him with some chicken and brown rice yesterday but he looked at me as if I'd gone mad. Does the same look when I try to give him dry food. I haven't got a blender but tried to mush it up together but of course he turned his nose up at it!

Might have a go at the pumpkin with him although imagine he'd do exactly the same. He sniffs and sniffs everything before he eats it and is such a fussy little git.

I was supposed to ring the Vet today as she asked me to give her a ring if there was no improvement after a week but can't face it to be honest with you. Might ring her tomorrow.

Many thanks for all the suggestions I appreciate it.

Debbie