[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Bella and her diarrhoea problems
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:23 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:45 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hello everybody,
I am new here and I have problem with my kitten. I will start from the beginning with details, so will be very long. Sorry ;)
On 31 October me and my girlfriend bought a Bengal kitten Bella (she was 12 weeks old at that time, breeder said she had all her vaccinations and other things done and ready for new home) and since we had her, she is having diarrhea. She had it since we took her, the breeder told us that her kids were feeding other cat with wet food and my Bella had some, so it upset her tummy. She assured me that it will come down in couple days and gave me Pro Kolin Plus to help out with diarrhea. When we had her in our house, she was very scared, hiding under sofa and meowing all the time - through all night ( was very hard to sleep for us) she did not go to the litter box or had any food. In the morning I finally got her out and fed, she also used a litter box but she had diarrhea, I though it was normal, but that continued for a week. And she was meowing a lot especially asking for more food - constantly hungry we were giving her about 5g of dry food at the time and limiting to about 30g/day of Hill's Science Plan Kitten Healthy Development - Chicken (that was what the breeder was feeding her with). So I took Bella to the vet. The vet said that it could be the stress of new home or the food, so we been told to give her Hill's Prescription Diet Feline I/D Wet Pouches (1 pouch / day) also give Panacur Wormer Paste and keep using Pro Kolin. After 4 days she got even worse. She started having watery bum, leaving drops all over the ground floor (we lucky that its tiles and laminate everywhere) and her meowing asking for food were giving us headaches. So another trip to the vet. I also took the stool samples with me (no blood visible). The vet said that she looks healthy, but little bit dehydrated (she weren't drinking much water since we switched to wet pouched). I've explained my vet that I suspect TF as I was reading about it on forums, and he said that he never heard of any cases in local areas, just some in Scotland and south region, he also said that it was more common in Italy for some reason. I've asked him to test the stool for TF as well, he agreed and gave us Metronidazole Susp 200MG/5ML (even though I knew it wasn't the right drug to treat it with, but I did not wanted to argue with him). So he told us to give Bella more food and stick with I/D for couple months, make her drink more water, 0.5ml of Metronidazole per day for 10 days, keep giving 0.5ml of dewormer and 1ml of Pro Kolin 3 times a day. After maybe 3-4 days she had her first firm stool, and thats when I received a call from the vet, that they did not find anything suspicious in the stool samples I gave them ( according to my bill they run - Faecal - Comprehensive Screen IDEXX (Basicm + Yersinia and Crypto)) no TF as well. I said that Bella was improving, so he suggested me to buy dry Hill's Prescription Diet Feline I/D Dry to mix it up little bit that it should help her out. Even before i bought it she started having diarrhea again. After I bought dry I/D we were giving Bella 1 wet pouch (65g) and 15g of dry I/D per day. She was still asking more food whenever we come to kitchen (it became very difficult to be in kitchen ... cook/do dishes or even through something into rubbish bin). After about week or more Bella started having watery bum again, it seems like when she meows she farts by accident and it loosens her bum making her leaving drops everywhere. I am not taking her to the vet ad I do not trust them anymore the charges are too expensive and most of the stuff they tell us to buy is like half price online .... ripping us off at brought daylight. I've currently ordered Promax Paste and Diarsanyl Plus I've read that those helped many people with their cats diarrhea. I am thinking to switch back to dry I/D again, as I've got last box of wet I/D and can't see why I should buy more if that doesn't help.
Maybe someone has any idea or advice how to stop my Bella's diarrhea ... ?

We love Bella very much. She likes to sleep on the lap, play with with her cat tree and some toys.
She is very calm during the night (sleeps downstairs on her blanked)

Key facts:
Hill's Science Plan Kitten Healthy Development - Chicken (food breeder was using and we used when we got her, discontinued by vets advice)
Hill's Prescription Diet Feline I/D Wet Pouches (recommended by vet and currently using about 2 pouched/day )
Hill's Prescription Diet Feline I/D Dry (recommended by vet to give together with wet (not at he same time) but discontinued for now)
Catsan Hygiene Cat Litter (litter breeder used and we use as well)
Panacur Wormer Paste (used for some time, first 1ml/day for 3 days, then 0.5ml for 5 days)
Protexin Pro Kolin+ (1ml / 3 times daily - still using)
Metronidazole Susp 200MG/5ML (used 0.5ml/day for 10 days)
Feliway Spray & Diffuser (bought and used but doesn't seem to help)
Promax Paste (on order)
Diarsanyl Plus (on order)

P.S. I did contacted the breeder, she said that all her other cats and kittens are healthy and that Bella was okey until the incident with wet food.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:01 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Poor baby girl. She's beautiful.

Are there any other vets in your area you could take her to? If she's "leaking" that's pretty severe and she is probably not getting enough water to combat dehydration.

Clyde, Bleu & Coal - Great Danes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:28 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi there if you see from my other post I am going through similar at the moment.

Agree with previous poster to try a different vet.

Our Vet straight away mentioned TF to us and wanted to send off poop samples.

My Bengal has just tested positive for TF and other viruses and we are starting on Plan A of treatment tomorrow. After the initial shock I feel a little better now as at least I know what I am dealing with.

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:35 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Antibiotics and wormer will stun TF so it will not be shed temporarily. You need to have the fecal test done 2 weeks after giving the last dose of wormer and antibiotic. The sample should really be a sample of multiple episodes of poo as TF is shed intermittently. Take samples from poo over a couple of days in same container and keep in fridge inbetween.

Where abouts are you based? I'm in leicestershire and my cats have all had TF. I think it came from a Cattery in Cambridgeshire. It is wide spread through the UK. My vets had never heard of it and I demanded it was tested, they told me I was wasting my money. They apologised after as they had never seen or heard of it before and assumed it was rare. They now routinely advise you test for it when doing fecal testing.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:36 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Also, I would never restrict a young kittens food. They need all the calories they want at this early stage.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:19 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

We see this exact same post over and over and over (not blaming you for not doing more searches, just saying how common this is which should be reassuring to you).

But it's always the same thing:

* Person buys kitten
* Kitten gets runny poo
* Breeder is contacted who denies responsibility/knowledge
* All kinds of "home remedies" are attempted but nothing works
* Kitten eventually taken to the vet who performs are very standard health exam, and possibly a fecal flotation type test, and suggests that nothing at all is wrong with the kitten.
* Kitten doesn't get better with more "home remedies" or changes in diet
* Eventually people come to this forum
* Go back to vet armed with knowledge about TF and demand a test (sometimes against the vet's protests)
* Grumbles about high unplanned expenses
* Test comes back positive for TF
* Problem gets sorted out

It's ok, I'll try to look surprised next week when the next person goes through this :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:02 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

We are on the i/d diet as well.

I'm not sure either how much good it is doing but vet said to me today to keep him on it (I've put both of my cats on it now) for a month. Apparently it's easy on the tum and as Dexter is having so many problems tum wise I'm happy to keep feeding him it.

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:30 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thanks for your replies.
After this post I found some info that pumpkin helps cats with their tummies. So I boiled some and mixed it with I/D wet food. Next morning she was much calmer and the were no more watery diohrea. Bella started drinking much more water, became much calmer, doesn't ask so much food or meowing. Her poo were still soft (like long worm), but today she had a solid for the first time we have her. Not sure is it the magic power of pumpkin or what, but I'm very happy that her health improved.
I just hope that it's not temporary... Fingers crossed

P.S. I'm from Colchester - Essex, UK. Will have to find a better vet, as I'm little bit disappointed with one I visited before. He promised that he will run test for TF, but that time Bella was on dewormer, so it might blocked it from finding as somebody mentioned here.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:28 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

http://www.cvm.ncsu.edu/docs/documents/ ... _final.pdf
- AN OWNERS GUIDE TO DIAGNOSIS AND TREATMENT OF CATS INFECTED WITH TRITRICHOMONAS FOETUS (TF)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:29 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:00 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Just an update about Bella.

I've been feeding Bella with Hill's I/D wet mixed with boiled pumpkin. Her diohrea stopped, one day I forgot to boil some and her stool became very soft again. I found now cat food "Applaws Chikcen breast and Pumpkin" she loves it, I also giving her Hills dry I/D as well. Maybe it's temporary solution for but it does the trick ;)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:21 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Be warned. Applaws wet food is not a complete food. It is designed to compliment their diet and should make up a maximum of 20% of their daily intake otherwise they lose important nutrients.

Bella should not need the pumpkin in order to have firm poo. You should really test her again.

Last edited by lollo2304 on Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:24 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I am actually surprised at your vet...TF doesn't out break in certain areas and you don't use metro to treat it either...they need to educate themselves on it obviously.

Please follow lollos instructions re collection of the stool sample and get your cat re tested.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:54 pm 
Bengal Cat

I also have been dealing with TF. My breeder did the work for me though, she hadn't had any symptoms in her cats and only one outside cat had come into her cattery since they had all been tested (it turned out to be the culprit and thus traced a whole Tf problem back to where that cat came from that was also all undiagnosed there so it turned out to be a chain diagnosis reaction haha.). I guess it was lucky for her my cat had the symptoms or nobody would have known. She's treating all of the cats now which must be a pain (giving 14 pills to a single cat is hard enough).

Anyway if you suspect a false negative and want to take another shot look up zoologix in california (if you live in the US) I haven't used them personally but it appears if you can get a good sample on your own (ie no litter contaminated diarrhea fresh out of the cat booty, and maybe even overnight or quickly ship it to them) you can get by with a full PCR panel of a bunch of stuff for 115 (or tf only for less).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:15 pm 
Bengal Kitten

It a late post, but back in February I eventually convinced my other vet to test Bella for TF and tests came back positive. Took me 3 weeks to get the drug. There were some issues with company my vet was dealing. They quoted me with one dosage and amount of capsules but sent completely different. But it was a stronger dose and only required 2 weeks treatment instead of 4 when quoted. If I'm not wrong I paid 54£ for the Ronidazole. After about 4 days diarrhoea stopped. And until this day never seen a soft stool again ;)