[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - how to read your cat's behavior?
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:48 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:34 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

As you all know we had to rehome Jasper a couple of months ago, leaving BB the only cat in our home. At first I was really worried about her as she seemed depressed, not eating/playing, and very clingy. Now she is back to her normal self plus more. She is eating plenty and playing like a kitten again. Actually more so than I have seen her play in months if not a year or more. She is still SUPER clingy, to the point that she always has to be with someone. She has started getting into things as well. Like she is a kitten again, rolling toilet paper everywhere, knocking everything over, climbing the door frames, chewing EVERYTHING! I don't know what to make of it. Is she bored because she doesn't have anyone to play with? Is she happy and confident, and that's why we are seeing such a huge change in her behavior? BB has always been a mellow cat and has never gotten into much, other than your normal bengal antics she was pretty laid back. It's like she is on speed or something now :biggrin: Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love how she is behaving, after all it is "normal" bengal behavior just nothing I have seen in her.
The reason I am asking: we thought getting a kitten would give her someone to play with and back to her normal self. Now we are worried that getting a kitten will lower her confidence again and she will return back to her non playful way. So is her behavior boredom or is she finally happy?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:36 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Sounds like typical bengal behavior to me! I really think you're worrying too much! She's obviously got her confidence back up and she's happy again. As far as being super clingy, Bengals usually want to be WITH their people. Raiden follows me all around as well as has to be in the same room I'm in. If I relocate, he follows me. Getting another cat could present the same problems Jasper presented. I think you need to let things be as they are for the time being. BB obviously has found her energy again. She's obviously thrilled to have the house to herself! This is how cats thrive! Just as Jasper is now thriving! Give BB more time and see how she continues behaving. You may have to move the toilet paper and try to find something she can chew on instead of things not so good for her. LOL. I think she's showing you that she's content with the way things are right now.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:15 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

That behavior change is pretty interesting. Part of it might well be a sign of confidence and happiness like you suggest, and I think you are right in that getting a kitten might affect some of these behaviors.

The one time that I've noticed some of these things is when I had two cats, and they lived together for many years, and then one of them passed away (basically of "old age"). There were some pretty obvious changes in the surviving cat's habits and behaviors after that. She pretty quickly "claimed" things that used to belong to the other cat. One of which was that she decided that SHE wanted to now sleep cuddled up beside me every night (apparently that placed was previously "owned" by the other cat). There were other changes too, more "clinginess" like you say, and an increased desire to do other activities with me that she didn't before. These two cats got along extremely well, there were never fights or hissing or any of that. So my interpretation of what was going on was mostly a matter of "ownership". I also think that in her case, she may have been mirroring some of my own desire to have her fill in some of the missing gaps (my own grief at missing the other cat and wanting to spoil her more).

And I do see some of it now with my 3, there's a definite pecking order and that pecking order can be different for various situations. For example I'll break out a toy and all three will come running, and sometimes Gaga will go right after it, and play for a few minutes, then Serafina will go into her usual "turbo-mode" and makes the other two, sort of spectators. At that point Gaga may actually walk off and do something else, even though she clearly wanted to play.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:05 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

When my older Bengal, Daisy died, Bubbles my moggie became much more involved and friendlier and he got what I would say a new lease of life.
Prior to that he stayed away a lot of the time, coming home to sleep later at night and leaving first thing in the morning.
They never fought, I thought they got on quite well, but on hindsight...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:28 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'm not really sure what is going on with her but all of you have made very interesting points. BB has basically taken over the things Jasper did, and honestly the things I miss most about him. She is super cuddly like he was, super loud like he was, and extremely playful and busy. I am honestly loving her new found self and I don't want that to change for my own selfish reasons. My husband and I sat down and talked today and we have both decided getting a kitten is nor worth stressing BB. I am sure she would get a lot more exercise and she would have someone to play with when we aren't home BUT she could also go back to being how she was. Not that there was anything wrong before, but we have enjoyed her company a lot the last few weeks. So as of now we are going to be a single feline family. I think BB is finally on her element and I don't want to throw that off again. Now I have to tell the breeder that we aren't getting a kitten :( I feel horrible but I have to do what's best for my girl.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:05 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

In time, things may change with BB and you can decide if it's worth getting her a playmate. Right now, it seems her playmate is you! There are lots of homes where there is only one kitty -- and they seem to do fine. I question whether Raiden should have a playmate because my husband and I both irk and he's alone for 9 hours a day. But based on his personality, I know that he would not be happy and would not welcome a kitten or older cat. So things will remain the way they are. You've got a very happy BB right now ..... and you are enjoying her new livelihood! If things change down the road, then you can decide what to do.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:54 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I think she is confident and happy cat now. I would not make any changes now. Let her enjoy her happinness

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:49 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Yes we have came to the conclusion that she is happy and content with the way things are. She has been spoiled a lot more also which probably plays a big role in her behavior. We went and finished out Christmas shopping today (last minute lol) and found new toys made by Jackson Galaxy as well as some pet beds. She LOVES his version of da bird and the caterpillars that come with it. I wasn't so sure she would like the bed because she has to climb in a little pouch. She played her little heart out and them crawled right in to sleep. Now all she has left for christmas is her new cardboard scratcher and her stocking stuffers. The lady at our pet store(which knows us by first name because we are always there) thinks we are crazy.Who buys their cats christmas gifts their not dogs after all :rolleyes: