[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - What should I do about the TF in Dexter?
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:30 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi there just after some advice regarding the diagnosis of TF in Dexter.

As some of you know we've been treating both our cats with Panacur for a common parasitic infection. There seems to be an improvement in that they are both going the loo much less often and I haven't had to clean up mess for a few day's now. Unluckily I missed their No 2's this morning and one did a nice normal looking poop and the other still looked a bit messy. I've got a feeling Dexter is still the messy poop.

I have also noticed that Dexter is eating FAR LESS than he used to. It was almost non-stop at one point and now he seems to be having normal meals breakfast, lunch, dinner, supper and much less frantic about being fed all the time.

IF the common parasitic infection has cleared up and Dexter's poop goes back to normal what should I do about TF?

I've read that it can clear up on it's own (I know this is not always the case) and that the treatment can be dangerous. I really don't like the idea of having a cat who has a parasitic infection going on but wanted to know others thoughts on whether I should push ahead and get it treated or not.

It wouldn't be an issue if this drug did not have such severe side effects but I am really worried and thinking if he is generally well should I just leave it?

Many thanks for any advice.

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:13 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Debbie

Good to hear there has been some improvement in your boys!

I'm sure people who have experience of this and treating their Bengals will give you plenty of feedback and advice, but if it was me I'd weigh up the long term effects of NOT treating it against the likelihood of the side effects of the drug.... I guess its really about the long term quality of life for Dexter and Muskey.

It's a tough call and I hope you get plenty of advice from people who know plenty more than me!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:15 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thanks Clare, that's exactly my thoughts on it too.

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:50 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

From what I've read the side effects are pretty rare but there can be long term issues from not treating it - even if it does go dormant on it's own. Personally, I would go ahead and treat it.

Clyde, Bleu & Coal - Great Danes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:28 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I treated 4 cats for it 4 years ago. I think my two older cats had TF for a while and gave it to my new kittens. My kittens breeder tested all her cats and they were clear. My existing cats had had issues in the past that the vet ahead put down to diet or worms.... As they went outside I never really knew what their poo was like. When I moved house they became indoor cats and their poo was fine until I introduced two new kittens. Everything was fine for about 3 months and then the two kittens and one of my existing cats got runny poo.... I eventually tested and all four cats had tf.

At the time:
Evie (5) had runny, liquid offensive poo.
Max (3) had normal poo.
Toby (6months) runny, liquid offensive poo.
Lily (6months) soft smelly poo.

I treated with Ronidazole at 30-50mg per kg twice a day for two weeks. They all had a different capsule as they were all different weights. I had to sign a form at the vets saying I understood it wasn't licensed for cats.

The side effects are neurological. So I first gave the Ronidazole in the morning which gave me all day to watch the cats. I played with them every evening with a flying frenzy type toy to assess their coordination and neurological ability. I was informed that if side effects are detected early enough they are reversible in stopping the drug.

All cats are now TF free... Evie still has issues though. After multiple tests it's become clear that her gut is permanently damaged from the TF parasite. She has chronic is odes of dietary problems and has also suffered pancreatitis as a result. I am 100% sure it's because of TF being untreated as there is no other explanation.

It used to be said that cats clear TF eventually by themselves. But it has been found to lie dormant only to be shed intermittent and resurface at times of illness or stress. No research has been done to prove not disprove the theories but the data originally was flawed anyhow. I know far too many people who have had issues in the home for years with runny poo and only now have a diagnosis of TF.

Left untreated it can take a couple of years for it not to cause symptoms. That is very important growing time for Dexter where damage caused cannot be undone. The advised dosage has been reduce significantly over the years. And so side effects are extremely rare.

New guidelines suggest 20-30mg per kg in one daily dose. So significantly it's than when I gave it to mine.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:56 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Donna and Lollo thank you both. It's reassuring to know that your cats were treated and didn't suffer any side effects from the treatment.

I keep swinging from one decision to the next over this. Do you know how contagious it is? Sounds like it is pretty contagious if all 4 caught it. I'm just thinking about Muskey as if we decide to go ahead with treatment we will have to give it to him too I would imagine?

That information is really helpful though and to know that the side effects are rare helps a great deal.

Just wondering what my Vet's stance will be on this. I got the impression she was reluctant to prescribe the treatment hence wanting to use Panacur and antibiotics to clear up the common parasitic infection.

I got the impression if that cleared up she would be advising not to have the treatment.

Debbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:15 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

One of my young cats has the runny poo thing ongoing. I talked to the vet about TF and before having her tested for that specifically, she is trying a 2 week course of a little green pill. It fixed the problem pretty quickly and the cat had the last pill today so I'll keep an eye on her. Her sister seemed to grow out of it and they share litter boxes so I am hoping it clears up soon. They are 8 months old.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:25 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

If I was in your shoes I'd do the treatment (for both cats). I don't have any experience with TF, other than to read seemingly a zillion accounts by other forum members over the past 4 years, of getting their cats successfully treated for TF. I think it's good that you are aware of and concerned about possible side-effects, but you know what to look out for, and can abort if needed. That's my $0.02.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:21 pm 
Senior Bengal

If my Jazz tested positive for TF,I'd def treat him for it.and I think you should treat your other cat as well, because TF spreads through poo and cats groom each other and share litter boxes,so eveny symptoms,he might have TF nonetheless. Do you want to take a risk of treating your TF pos.cat and then not the other,when after treatment he might caught it again sometime and you'd have to go through that all over again.. It's a big decision,but you have to get as much information on the matter.have you told your vet about the other cat?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:24 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I would not hesitate to treat any cat again. I would treat both of yours.

Most vets are not very knowledgable on it. Most research is outdated. Most veterinary info on it is also outdated.

I would not trust my vet if they advised not to treat it in the basis it will clear up by itself.... I know it doesn't mostly.

Max, who was not symptomatic when they all tested positive. Rarely had any interaction with the others as he hated them. Even so, he still tested positive.

It is highly contagious in wet poo....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:48 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Debbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:01 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Also, if you don't treat it you really should never bring in another cat (or dog) for as long as you have your two.... Just in case...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:26 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

What "common parasitic infection" does he have?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:17 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

If he has tested positive for TF I wouldn't delay treatment. Jasper and BB were both treated and they both handled the treatment really well. Neither had any side effects from it other than being mad about having to be pilled everyday. The treatment was fast and easy and we'll worth the risk and money spent on it.
I would highly advise treating both of them! Jasper tested positive so of course he was treated but BB didn't, she also never had any symptoms. It is possible for them to carry it and to be asymptomatic.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:45 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Debbie