[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Bengal Cat Size and Development
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:31 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I just adopted my first bengal, Koda, from a man that couldn't bring him on a move for some reason. At 6 months, he weighed 8 lbs. Now, at 7 months, he weighs a little over 9 lbs. This seems large to me, considering my 4 1/2 year old cat Pippin is just under 10 lbs. I wonder if anyone has any guesses on how big he'll get based on past experience.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:58 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Bengal size can vary significantly and it can be pretty tough to guess how big a kitten will end up getting. Most bengals keep growing to up to 2 years of age or so, though they gain most of their length and height in the first 12-18 months then fill out a bit I believe. I have three male bengals (tend to be larger than females) and here's how mine grew:

Raj - Now weighs about 15 pounds but is slender for a bengal. He's so tall and long that many people think he's a savannah rather than a bengal. He was a tall kitten and gained roughly 4 pounds in the last 6 months before he turned 2.

Renny - Now weighs almost 15 pounds and is pretty stocky and muscular. Next to Raj he actually looks heavier but he isn't. Renny was a TINY kitten, weighing only 5 pounds at 7 months, but he did have some health problems early in life. The vet gave me a supplement to make sure he was getting all the nutrients he needed and he started growing very quickly. He got up to 13-14 pounds at a little over a year old and hasn't changed much since.

Ragnar - He's almost a year old now and weighs just about 8 pounds. He's sleek and muscular but still almost looks like a kitten. Unless he has a major growth spurt he will likely always be a smaller cat at around 10 pounds. His size and growth always seemed normal until he got to be about 10 months and he was still pretty small compared to my other bengals. Of course, if he gets to 10 pounds that's pretty average.

I've included a pic of all three (Raj on the left, then Renny then Ragnar on the right). It's a terrible pic from my phone but as you can see, they all kind of look the same size.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:50 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Male bengals can weight up to 20 pounds. My Raiden is about 13-1/2 pounds. As long as they are sleek and muscular, they are probably at a great weight. Oh I love those picture of your bengals, Rcolman18. They are gorgeous kitties.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:37 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thank you for the reply! Renny actually looks a lot like Koda. I'm so used to Pippin, who is very long and lanky. Koda is built like a potato.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:45 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I found this really interesting and quite reassuring! I took my two to the vet for their boosters a few weeks ago, Hendrix weighed in at 5.6kg (12.3 pounds) and Jagger at 5.9kg (13 pounds) and I was told to put them on a diet and aim for 5kg (11 pounds).

I check their body shape constantly. Hendrix is long and lanky and any weight loss on him and he'd be skin and bone. Jagger is the stocky one but it is all muscle and he is freakishly strong! He's a little bruiser. I can still feel their ribs and they have defined waists so I still can't see what the vet was seeing!

We did google it though and saw that on average a male Bengal will weigh between 10-15 pounds and as such I haven't put them on a diet - although I have cut down on their treats.

Reading this has further reassured me that we are correct in not putting the poor things on a diet!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:52 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I have two seal lynx point females that at 7 months were 8.5 and 9.5 pounds. They seem really big to me. I try to feed them less but right after they eat they are asking for more. I can't even eat around them or they are surrounding me trying to take the food away from me. They also have this pouch of skin on their abdomen that is getting larger. It was there when they were small kittens, but now it is so large and it sways from side to side when they run. It doesn't seem to slow them down as they are the fastest cats I have ever seen. They are 7 and a half months now and their markings have gotten noticeably darker in the past 6 weeks. It seemed like overnight the one went from a light belly to a gray belly with dark charcoal spots. The other one gets darker markings on her coat every week. I keep wondering if it is their food or just the way they develop. For sure they are the most interesting two cats I have ever met.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:52 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

CMYKjill

Don't restrict your kittens on the amount of food they get. They will continue to grow, sometimes rapidly, until about 2 years of age.
The pouch of skin under their bellies is called the primordial pouch. It is more pronounced on wild cats and, since Bengals are relatively close in generation to a wild cat, some have a very predominant pouch. I think it's kind of cool!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:26 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:48 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thanks for the info. Their bodies and appetite are so different from any other cat I have had. I thought I was feeding them too much.i suspect they are going to be pretty large cats, one in particular.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:46 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I also have noticed they have very thick tails at the base. They are almost kangaroo-like.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:05 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi CMKYjill

I can remember my shock when Hendrix developed his primordial pouch - it seemed to appear from nowhere lol his is very prominent, Jagger's not so much, and it definitely doesn't slow them down! I do wonder if its their pouches that made the vet suggest a diet but like you I try to feed them a bit less and end up with bleeding ears for my efforts, so they must be hungry!

I know what you mean about their tails - they are thick and strong - one swish and things are knocked flying, and I've had a couple of breakages as a result lol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:44 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:25 am 
Bengal Cat

I'm curious to know how large my two will get, but I guess until they're full grown there's no telling. My two are currently 8 months old. The female is 8 lbs and my male is about 13 lbs…. If my male grows until he's 24 months he may become a baby tiger!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:16 am 
Bengal Kitten

Koda was just weighed again. I looked at his records and he is actually closer to 9 months old now. He weighs approximately 9.76 lbs. Vet said he looks like he's a healthy weight for his size. He also has a prominent primordial pouch. Most people think he's fat because of that. I need to take some more pictures. He's already almost 3 lbs larger than he was when I adopted him. Had to take him to the vet again because my apartment complex sprayed for pests and I came home and they had actually sprayed Koda with the pesticide. Luckily he's okay now, after a nice bath to wash everything off.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:51 am 
Bengal Cat

He's a handsome cat. I'm glad that he's better. I think as long as the cats are proportionate to their size then it doesn't matter how much they weigh.