It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:53 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Am I Wrong?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:23 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

brianj12 wrote:
Yea, I probably wouldn't just accept that he wails and wakes you up. Maybe I'm naive about it, since I am a deep sleeper and have cats that I suspect are not quite as loud as some in the forum. But still, I think if you can establish a routine whereby your cat's needs are met prior to and during bedtime, and nighttime becomes his bedtime too, and it's established that him howling won't result in him getting anything that he wants, I think you can probably improve your current situation quite a bit.

I used to think he was making all that noise because he wanted to come in my room but even when I have left my door open for him to come and go as he pleases, he still does it.

Brian,
Question for you. Do you think I need to pick one way or the other and stick to it? There are times when I allow both of my boys in my room with me at night. Then there are times when I put them out and close the door. These are usually the times when I am super tired and really need peace and quiet. Zoomba will get up in the middle of the night and jump from surface to surface, knocking things off, then jumping back on the bed, which is also tends to keep me from sleeping. So do you think I should just make it a habit to keep them out of the room at bedtime? I just miss having them with me sometimes. Riffy really is no problem. He'll pretty much sleep through the night with me. Bengals (or at least mine) are so different from regular domestic house cats and I love mine, but again, he will probably be the one and only I ever have. His nocturnal activities are just too much for me sometimes.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:23 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Dexter chirrups a lot usually when he is trying to do something.

For instance he chirrups non-stop until he gets the inside cushion of his sleeping bed on top of him as for some strange reason he likes to sleep hidden underneath it!

So glad I spent days researching online for a comfortable sleeping bed :rolleyes:

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:47 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Eggman wrote:
Dexter chirrups a lot usually when he is trying to do something.

For instance he chirrups non-stop until he gets the inside cushion of his sleeping bed on top of him as for some strange reason he likes to sleep hidden underneath it!

So glad I spent days researching online for a comfortable sleeping bed :rolleyes:

Try a sleeping bag lol

I do think consistency is key at night though. My two know when it is bed time. We've just started to let them sleep in the spare room and I was nervous as their toys are in a box in the hall and they've been known to get every single toy out before to get to something at the bottom, and they all seem to squeak or jangle or make some sort of noise! But so far so good. They are sat outside our room in the morning like little sentries waiting for us to get up but don't scratch at the door or meow. They've never been allowed in our room at night though so there is no confusion as to why they can come in one night and not another - they won't understand its because you want a good night's sleep with no disturbances.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:16 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Such a cute picture, Clare.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:37 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

ZoombersMom wrote:
Brian,
Question for you. Do you think I need to pick one way or the other and stick to it? There are times when I allow both of my boys in my room with me at night. Then there are times when I put them out and close the door. These are usually the times when I am super tired and really need peace and quiet. Zoomba will get up in the middle of the night and jump from surface to surface, knocking things off, then jumping back on the bed, which is also tends to keep me from sleeping. So do you think I should just make it a habit to keep them out of the room at bedtime? I just miss having them with me sometimes. Riffy really is no problem. He'll pretty much sleep through the night with me. Bengals (or at least mine) are so different from regular domestic house cats and I love mine, but again, he will probably be the one and only I ever have. His nocturnal activities are just too much for me sometimes.

Yea, I think so. Cats really thrive on routine. Like I said, perhaps if I had a cat like Zoomba it would be a big problem for me too, difficult to say and I don't want to discount that. But For the 5 cats that I've owned, what I've been successful in doing is to just establish a routine:
First they get treats to be enticed into the room. Then I close the door, and use nightime, block-out blinds to make the room very dark, then I put some biscuits and water and litterboxes out for them in the room. Then there is a "settle down" period where I sit in bed and watch tv or read or mess around with my tablet. The cats usually settle right down. There is also a heated blanket in the winter time that draws them like a magnet, and there is also all kinds of high perches, shelves, trees, and cat beds in the room. Then it's lights out and they settle in, and seem to be very contented to just sleep away the night very quietly. They do move around a fair bit. Alternating between sleeping positions and such, but it generally doesn't wake me.

All cats are different of course, but that is what has worked for me. I think if I were having a problem like you have, I would definitely try to experiment, and try to break it down. What is it that could be making him do that? Loneliness? Being somehow worked up and not having an outlet for the energy? Maybe it's some sort of stimulous that he's reacting to? Some noise or smell or thing that he sees outside? Or maybe it's something to do with the current routine that is just kind of leaving him in a worked-up state? People talk about the hunt-eat-sleep behavior in cats, perhaps your cat is just in the wrong "mode" when it's bedtime? Or maybe it's just a learned behavior where he has trained you that by doing his thing he is getting something from you that he wants. Anyway, once you make any headway at all in curbing that, then you can quickly strive to make that a nightly routine and not change it.

Good luck, definitely let us know how it goes.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:56 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thank you Brian and everyone else for your responses. I will give some thought as to how to develop more of a routine at night before bedtime. I guess I will also have to give the boys the boot from my room permanently at night. :cry: