It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Bengals personality
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:24 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I just purchased a 5 month old Bengal girl. She is the most friendly Bengal every but I keep hearing horror stories how they bit and attack. One woman was telling me her Bengal bit her out of the blue in a nasty way. So now I am nervous. Does anyone have a Bengal that never bit them?

Post subject: Re: Bengals personality
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:42 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Since you posted this in another section of the forum, I won't rehash my reply. Every bengal is different, though. And a lot depends on the mother, sibling relationships before you actually got the cat. If you're anticipating a bite or scratch, then it just might happen. Don't worry about it. Stoke your kitty gently and don't rough house with him with your hands as that is sure to set the kitty off. Bellies for most are off limits, however, my Raiden loves his belly rubs.

Post subject: Re: Bengals personality
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:40 am 
Bengal Cat

It's all up to the personality of your individual cat combined with your interactions with your cat.

I have a halfway crazy likely EG cat who is a very difficult critter to live with. But she's NEVER bitten or scratched at me. Even when rough-housing with her (yes, I know I probably shouldn't encourage it), she's very careful and never hurts me.

On the other hand, my friend has a plane Jane long-haired calico cat that bites and scratches me (and most anyone else) with almost no provocation (offering finger to smell).

So you be the judge.

With the exception of EG cats that can be much more "iffy", I think Bengals are probably no more likely to bite or scratch than any other cat. And with any cat - ANY cat - it all comes down to the individual cat's personality combined with its interactions with people (including how it is raised, etc.).

Raise your cat well, be kind to it, and if need be, consult a cat behaviorist or read books about cat communication and interaction so you can be better prepared to understand how your cat "works".