[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - My 2 new kittens are not getting along! Expert advice??
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:18 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Brought home my 2 new male Bengal kittens yesterday. They are both lovely (separately). Got them at 2 different breeders. 1st male is rosetted born Aug 6th and neutered 4 days ago. The 2nd is a marble unfixed born Aug 6, the largest of his siblings, so of equivalent size.
Both cats had separate carriers in the same car for the 5 hour drive home. I let out both into my living room at same time. But the marble male was quite timid to leave his carrier for an hour, while the other had no problem checking out every nook. Slowly they seem to divide my living area in 2, each staking out their territory.
The bolder rosetted male seems to seek out the marble to fight him. But I break it up before they can fight. Lots of kissing, screaming for quite sometime after trying to calm them down (mainly rosetted).

Friend stayed on the sofa with Marble and slept through the night. I, on the other hand, have not slept yet with the rosetted in the bedroom. He cried all night wanting out of the bedroom. Soon as I let him out he looks for other male to attack him with horrible noises no animal should ever make lol.

Any advice to help these 2 get along??? Sure there is no fool proof method, but if anyone has had success in similar situation please let me know. Sleep someday soon would be nice....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:39 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

You are expecting way too much from these kitties having just gotten them. The fact that they are not litter mates is one thing. You have brought two kitties, each with their own scent, into a new home, with a new scent, with new people, with a new scent. Many cats become severely stressed out over this. You may need to give them their own "safe rooms" for a week or so. Let them acclimate to all the changes that are going on for them -- it's overwhelming for them. When bringing them together, only start at feeding time. Let them have that distraction. They will know the other cat is there, but the desire for food consumes them. And since there is no fighting at that time, they begin to associate the positives. Bring the kitten out to play and you interact with them, rather than they interact with each other. Make sure you have multiple litter boxes, each cat needs its vertical space as well. You've got to spend the time with them to bond with them and have them bond with each other. It can take some time. Your "kids" should learn to get along -- at the very least -- tolerate each other as long as they have their own spaces they can retreat to. Most will become fast buddies and will entertain you for hours -- but don't rush this. Give these kitties time to adjust. And one more thing .... please don't stress out over this. The kitties can sense that. Relax and enjoy them. They will come around.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:42 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Yes, they are still very young and likely very nervous about their new surroundings. Given that they are the same age, the chances are that they will become great friends given just a little time. Once they are acclimated to your house a good tactic is to get them to play with a string or da bird at the same time - then they will learn that they can have fun together.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:45 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi there and congratulations on your new arrivals!

I think you need to go back to basics on this one. They don't know each other as they're not siblings, so you should go for a gradual introduction to each other. They are both going through a massive upheaval in their lives by coming to live with you, with a 5 hour journey and then had another 'strange' kitten thrown into the mix. You should probably set up two safe rooms, one for each so they can get to know you and become confident in that surrounding, and then gradually introduce them to each other with scent swapping, feeding on opposite sides of a door etc. I think if you look through this site, there will be plenty of information on how to introduce kitties to each other. You will need to go at their pace and it could takes weeks, but I'm sure it will be worth it in the end.

I just think it was all too much at once for your two little guys - start again from scratch and hopefully they will start to get on!

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:55 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

That is really odd to see kittens having so much trouble getting along. It may mean that one or the other was not socialized to other cats, which is a problem. One other explanation may be that they are a little bit traumatized by the neutering, in addition to being re-homed.

I have to believe that this will work out well, but you probably have to "start over" and go slow. I would keep them completely apart for a few days. Let them get their bearings and start to feel better from the operation etc. The goals are to: a) make sure they are 100% comfortable in their new diggs, b) get them used to the idea that there is another kitten sharing their home, c) develop a positive association with the other cat, d) bond with you.

So keep them apart for a few days, and at least give the shy one a "safe room" to stay in. Give them each their own litterboxes, food dishes, water dishes and toys. Play with each of them separately. Then I would try some short supervised visits and see how it goes. The moment there is hissing or growling I would abort the visit and wait until later that day or the next day. If it goes poorly, you may have to start over, and do the full cat introduction protocol, which is basically to get them each used to each other's scent without the other cat being present (site swapping, or scent swapping - have them change places as far as where they stay separately, or take cloth items containing the other's scent and put that in the room with the other cat). To build up positive associations you can feed them such that they are close by but can't interract. So on opposite sides or a door, opposite sides of a hallway, or some other barrier in between them. Then when the meal is over, separate them again. This makes them associate something extremely positive (meal time) with the other cat. You repeat this each meal until the growling or hissing is completely gone.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:07 pm 
Bengal Kitten

OK thanks. Yes I really hope they learn to love each other as much as I love them. Both came from well socialized houses and are affectionate and comfortable with me 1 on 1 no problem, purring/cuddling/playing constantly. But as soon as the attention stops, they fixate on crying to each other and getting worked up. I hoped they would turn to each other quicker being used to having their siblings around. But seems it will take some time and patience. Good thing I took this week off work! lol
It's the crying that is hardest to deal with as I live in a condo, and impossible to try and ignore all night long. Hopefully that will settle down soon so I can find time for a nap here and there.... can't get upset when they are so friggin cute! :)
They already have separate litter boxes and food/water/toys. Although we have not see either go to the bathroom in last 14 hrs since we got them. Must have gone someplace I haven't found yet??
I'll try and keep them separated for a day, which will take 2X effort to keep them entertained. Going to go buy a covered litter box (like they had at homes) to see if they feel more comfortable about using. As well as, more toys that stimulate their attention...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:35 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:46 pm 
Bengal Kitten

CORRECTION: Unfixed marble is Aug 6th, Neutered rosetted is July 12th.

Bit of progress today... their crying to each other gave me more confidence to s=try them together again... had them in same room today being distracted by feather sticks for a minute or 2. But soon enough they back at it. Was great to see them side by side chasing the feather for that few seconds though. lol
Step by step....

Yes brianj12, their cries are more of calling out whenever they are alone. Or when 1 starts in 1 room calling out, the other does as well. Thats why I thought I'd try them again together but soon as they in sight.... calls change to hisses and scream.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:58 am 
Bengal Kitten

Wow so they are working it out on their own quite quickly! So glad!!
They are now able to be in same room and the forward kitty is learning to give other one his space with each encounter. Eating next to each other and slept on each side of me.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:11 am 
Bengal Kitten

See! lol
3 days later and they are best buds! Yaaahhhhhh!!!!
So glad I got 2 bengals as their play is non-stop when they are awake. So much better for them and would recommend same for everyone.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:41 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

That's wonderful news, really pleased for all of you, and they are beautiful boys! Enjoy, they will certainly keep you entertained with their antics!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:09 pm 
Senior Bengal

I'm very glad this has worked out. Bengals are pretty good at adjusting given the right time and care. They're gorgeous!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:48 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

See, it just took some time and patience, but do know that bengals are very vocal and they will cry for apparently no reason. They are definitely not quiet kitties.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:41 am 
Bengal Kitten

No they sure are not quiet lol. They both have such different personalities. The marble one Drogo seems more like a domestic cat. Super affectionate! Cries out constantly with happiness when he gets cuddled, ha ha, so cute. The spotted guy Loki is very much like a Bengal. More independent, smart, and incredibly curious! Already at 4 months can get onto the fridge. Not as affectionate but learning from Drogo.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:49 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

They are so stinking cute!

Clyde, Bleu & Coal - Great Danes