It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:57 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Help! Attie sick
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:44 pm 
Bengal Kitten

My 1 year, 4 month old Bengal started throwing up her food a couple weeks ago. She's been on a home made raw diet since I got her at the age of 13 weeks, and has never had any issues with it. Here's a timeline of everything that has gone on:

Thursday 7/24: Threw up all of her food while I was at work. That evening, prepared a new batch of raw food with a shipment that had come in the day before. She ate some out of the container as I was preparing it, as she usually does.

Friday 7/25: Threw up all of her food again while I was at work. Gave her the majority of the remainder of the previous batch so as to not stress her out, as by this point her appetite had vanished.

Saturday 7/26: Gave her a mix of previous batch and the new one. She ate a small amount of it but otherwise seemed to have no appetite.

Sunday 7/27: Got her to eat a full can of Wellness CORE Grain Free food. She seemed very hungry and eager to eat. Shortly after finishing it, she threw it all up. I took her right away to the Emergency Vet since it was Sunday and my regular vet was closed. They examined her and recommended a couple injections, including one of fluids making a little "camel hump" on her back. They gave me some Hills i/d prescription food that might be easier on her system, thinking she may have gotten an upset tummy, and scarfing down the can of Wellness food was too much, too soon. No sign of obstructions or pain.

Monday 7/28 - Sunday 8/3: Started feeding her smaller portions of the new raw food, 3-4 times a day. Her appetite seemed to be increasing. The only difference between this batch and the previous one was that I added lamb to it.

Monday 8/4 - Thursday 8/7: I left town with for a vacation with my family. My 2 roommates take care of her when I'm out of town, and they reported more of the same in this time (low appetite, but eating, and otherwise fine)

Friday 8/8: Roommate informs me that she had thrown up a small amount the night before, and then on Friday night a large amount.

Saturday 8/9: Made an appointment to see my vet first thing in the morning, and my roommate brought her in. They did an x-ray to check for obstructions and a blood panel. I got home later this day.

Sunday 8/10 - Thursday 8/14: Switched her over to only the canned Wellness food, feeding 1/2 can 2-3 times a day. This seemed to agree with her and she has been eating well since, and no puking. Stools in this period have been ranging from loose to diarrhea. Results came back from the x-rays (no obstructions), and blood panels. No major findings. My vet recommended an abdominal ultrasound and a urine test. In the effort to keep her away from the dog's food (roommate's dog, and he free feeds her. Attie has never been too into eating it, but since this whole ordeal started it's been hard to keep her away from it) I closed her in my bedroom until the dog was finished eating, during which she defecated in my laundry hamper.

Friday 8/15: Did the ultra sound which revealed that her intestines are inflamed, and her kidneys are a little small. One more blood panel to check for pancreatic enzyme issues. Last night she defecated in my laundry hamper again, and again this morning.

Which brings us to now. My vet's conclusion after all of the testing is that she has a food allergy of some variety that has just surfaced. She gave me some Hills prescription food and recommended a strict feeding trial to try and narrow down what exactly she might be allergic to. She ate a whole can of the Hills stuff last night, and had diarrhea again this morning. I'm not super concerned about that yet, since the Wellness food is probably still making its way out of her system.

Otherwise, her energy levels have been good and no personality changes.

Anyone have similar experiences?? Any tips/advice/wisdom would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Post subject: Re: Help! Attie sick
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:42 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Follow your vet's advice! I'm sorry you're little one is so sick. I would have taken my kitty to the vet a lot sooner than you did. I know we hope things will clear up on their own, but you definitely don't want a condition to get worse by waiting. Better to be safe than sorry! I hope the little girl feels better soon -- and you, too.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:34 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Update: Attie is doing much better. She is eating Hills Prescription Diet z/d formula now, and can't get enough of it. The vet and I decided to keep her on this food for another month or two, and then try and transition her back to the raw diet.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:38 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Glad she's on the mend. Food allergies can be very hard to pinpoint. I hope you can figure out what is triggering her problem so you can get her off the prescription food.

Clyde, Bleu & Coal - Great Danes