It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:01 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: cord or tape lead?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:38 pm 
Bengal Cat

Hi, what kind of lead do you all use? cord/tape? and what length is recommended?
Picking up 'Oz' from the rescue tomorrow, and would like to take him for walks when he's settled in....

Post subject: Re: cord or tape lead?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:49 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I use a 10' Flexi retractable cord leash on Raiden. I don't want him to get too far away from me. I can control the length of the leash (nice "brake" button on it) and stop him before he gets into something he shouldn't. 10' is really a perfect length for me. I don't want him to get too far ahead of me and it's lot less to untangle when he decides to go around shrubs. Congratulations on getting your new baby! Hopefully he will take to a harness easily (mine did in two minutes) and you can start to enjoy your walks. It's a great bonding time as well. With the heat of the summer, Raiden prefers to spend a lot of time laying under the shade of a tree. I carry a large towel with us -- in case I have to ward off and snap it at another cat (I've never had to do it) and it's something for me to and Raiden to sit on in the shade. When I'm home from work and on weekends, we go out in the early mornings and late afternoons. The cooler mornings allow us to go down the street a ways. The afternoon sun heats the asphalt too hot for him to walk on so he sticks around our yard.

Post subject: Re: cord or tape lead?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:12 pm 
Bengal Cat

cheers... just ordered the Flexi Classic Compact Tape - 5m, and when I've measured him, will be ordering a Mynwood Cat Jacket.... happy days!! :biggrin:
oh, and good tip about the towel...