[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - my 14 weeks bengal boy is just 1,7 kg.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:05 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:50 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:48 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

> For starters, cooking meats takes away all the nutrients and enzymes needed

That has been found to be false in studies.
Cooking the raw diet actually provides a good diet nutritionally without the risks of bacterial and parasite contamination, that feeding raw brings.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:58 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

http://tcfeline.com/2013/04/11/what-meats-to-use/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:51 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Here is one of the better bodyweight diagrams:

Your little one does look too thin, although the weight is in the acceptable range. Personally I would want to add a few extra ounces for a bit of flesh coverage so I would feed up by adding an extra good quality wet meal to avoid overload / bloating. It may be that a growth spurt is underway, and this will stabilise.

The vet is best placed to make that call, and provide any medical support that might be required - eg wormers, antibiotics, supplements, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:13 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Three of mine fell into my home at very young ages (4 and 6 weeks). They all went through periods of being skinny and chubby until they were about a year. Your little guy looks like he is having a lanky week, next week you may find he is chubby. The important thing is that he isn't losing weight. It may be worth asking the breeder what his last weight was so when you take him to the vet you have a reference point.

Kittens really should have access to food all the time, in a "in your face" place. I can remember mine taking two bites of food, playing, two more bites, litter box, three bites, etc. A vet check is in order of course and your vet will help you navigate some of this. Have fun with your little one, they grow so fast! :biggrin:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:47 pm 
Senior Bengal

A little update on our situation. Jazz's weight has not moved in any direction since he came to us. The vet does not think however that he's unhealthly thin (though she admits that he's on the skinny side). So far the vet decided to put him(and my other cat) on giardia meds and probiotic meds and RC gastro intestinal high calorie wet food (for one week). then of course I will have to steam and disinfect my flat and all their things and bath my cats. If the sympoms won't pass in 5 days time since the first day of treatment, I'll collect poo sample of three days and she'll send them to the lab for PRC testing for all sort of parasites. So, fingers crossed! :wink: now I just have to figure out whether to buy a proper Karcher steam cleaner or not.... :eek:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:48 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Poor you.
Our Nina was always very lanky, she is long and lean and kalinda in that picture is kinda small as she was young but is now a very muscular and short legged kitty. I think they each have their own builds. Are you feeding the same food as the breeder?

Kalinda came to us with TF and infected Nina. Took ages to sort but now all done and dusted. Still, she always had a sensitive tummy. What I found works for us, after trying all sorts of things:
I feed them Hi life fish wet food - no grain
They get dry food and it is Go cat - fish variety (she reacted to most grain free varieties such as Applaws and Taste of the wild...) but only as a tiny meal, mostly in their snack balls
I also give them raw chicken wings or breast now and again, which they like but bones make a huge mess in the kitchen when eaten so it is a treat :)

I also gave kalinda slippery elm powder after TF treatment, which really improved her tummy and stool. Maybe he cannot eat in huge amounts yet, especially if his tummy is not right and he has loose stools, can you give him 4 wet meals a day? Don't force the dry, it is not good for them anyway, but buy a good wet food that is not laden with junk.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:54 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oh I should mention this too, just because it says grain free, doesn't mean it is great food. For example Taste of the wild adds a fair amount of peas, which is a carb and bloats, not unlike corn. I used to feed mine Lilly's organic food and still gave them loose stools till I thought it could be the high vegetable content in it, such as carrots and potatos.

My two also didn't do well on Grau, which is supposedly good and grain free wet food. Nina refused it and Kalinda had loose stools. I think she is sensitive to heavy meats such as lamb and beef and pork and this is why I keep it simple with fish and avoid foods with long mix of meats in them. Also a high content of offal might be to blame. every now and again I will open the pouch of Hi Life and they will sniff at it, it is always a pouch that looks more ground than other ones and I wonder if it contains less fish meat and more offal.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:37 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:01 pm 
Senior Bengal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:05 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:18 pm 
Senior Bengal

Tinny, thank you for the advice! I'm glad your Kalinda and Nina are doing fine now. I gradually switched his breeder's food (I didnt think Whiscas and natures menu mash looking food weren't good at all :eek: ) to the vet's RC gastro intestinal wet food, Animonda von Feinstein wet food and RC kitten wet food.Applaws canned food is given as a treat ans also small bits of cooked chicken. Different brands of dry food (RC, Orijen, Golden Eagle, Animonda) is always available, bu he's not interested. My other cat is having the time of her life though=)
Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:24 pm 
Senior Bengal

Lisalisa, oh, yes. I had a cat like that when I was in my teens and my hands used to look like that all the time (he was feral and took his games to extremes sometimes). :lol:
It's a great look, don't you agree?=) Keeps other people wondering =)))))))))))))

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:38 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

It could just be that he is intolerant to something. I found Kalinda had loose stool with applaws wet chicken tins but raw chicken is fine. She loves all raw food but I realised that liver and beef does not agree with her, but she does get some ham as a treat now and again, like a slice in a blue moon. She is fine with chicken but lots of foods mix different meats so if one doesn't agree with your cat, it is hard to know what it is.
Try to buy slippery elm powder, it is generally good for their gut and you can mix it with food and give with meds too. It really helped Kalinda firm up the stools.
Nina was never sensitive, whatever food I feed her she seems to not need adjustment period etc, she is just very fussy so it is more of a case of her not eating it.

I sympathise on the vet issue. I suspected TF but our vet wanted to treat her for all sorts of other things. Problem we had was that we somehow ended up uninsured as she came with 4 weeks insurance and I switch insurers as I wanted to go with someone else, the same as Nina's and the symptoms presented themselves before that kicked in and were mentioned to the vet and we somehow ended up not being able to claim so it cost something like £500 in all. I had to actively say to the vet to send their stool for TF testing and I had to find out where she could do that, how she could do that and where to get the medicine. Even when the test came positive, she wanted to put them on other antibiotics which were found useless and I had to refuse that and insist. I think a lot of vets don't necessarily know much about every breed of animal and potential things. My vet has never even heard of TF. I had to tell her.

Brian, I remember the TF days and pilling. We had to do Kalinda for two rounds as she put on weight and the first dose did not do it but Nini was a problem. I never want to do that again :(

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:51 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

How long between the weights that have been taken and are they on the same scales? I would except around 100g weight gain a week... Or more if possible but 100g is acceptable.

Warning regarding PCR testing... You will have to wait at least 1 week after finishing any treatment for Giardia (any antibiotic or wormer) in order to get accurate results. So many things are stunned by them so false negatives are common.... So I usually recommend testing prior to any treatment.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next