[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Fear about spaying
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:48 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Fear about spaying
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:44 pm 
Senior Bengal

Hi all,

We have had our cat for almost 3 years now and we think the world of her. We didn't plan to breed from her but due to busy lives we never got round to getting her spayed. She is a house cat so there wasn't any chance of kittens but we're used to the regular loved up phase, noise and spraying everywhere (Blu ray player, front door, all my Wii games...)

I recently lost my job and have booked her in to the vets tomorrow, also to check why she has a tendency to be sick fairly often.

It may sound silly but we're really worried about getting her spayed. We know it's a very common procedure and there aren't any risks involved are there?

Would her behaviour change? e.g. would she be less friendly, any less likely to sit with us on the settee or on our laps etc?

Can anyone advise on it? I've not owned a cat before, my other half has and her cats were all done.

We're just very precious about her really...

Post subject: Re: Fear about spaying
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:49 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I think you will notice a huge difference with her!! My girl was spayed right at five months and she almost instantly became more loving!! You are actually doing her a huge favor by getting rid of those crazy hormones and also preventing her from having uterine infections!! They can be nasty and make her very ill!!! You are doing the right thing!!! She will be a little sore for a few days but after that she will be fine!! Stay positive and know you are doing what's best!!! Please keep us updated with everything!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:56 pm 
Senior Bengal

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:59 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

It's actually far more dangerous to leave her unspayed. She is at great risk of womb infection due to calling with no mating. This can be fatal. Her general health will be much improved due to the lack of hormones. An unspayed female will never be in the best of conditions as she will be riddled with hormones.

As said, she will become far happier spayed.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:02 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:18 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Honestly my personal opinion, I wouldn't bother with the cone UNLESS you see her licking/pulling at her incision! BB never wore one and to me it seems to stress them More!! Someone please correct me if I am wrong, it might be because my girl was sill a kitten but she never messed with it!! Also a side note with spraying, it might be a learned behavior and she might continue to spray BUT I have a retired stud that sprayed like something you wouldn't believe! Now, he has not sprayed since the first week we had him, and its been 9 months!!It can be curbed by reducing the hormones!! Good luck to you and I am 100% confident you will have a much happier girl!! Chances are her territorial behavior will lessen but more than likely it will not go away! Spaying is not a cure all but it will make a HUGE difference!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:25 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I uploaded a couple of pics for you to see what to expect:

I wasnt happy about how long the vet left my girl's stitches but it didnt cause a problem (and you can snip them down a bit if yours is the same)
I took Cleo's cone off... it was tied on with bandage and didnt look safe for me to leave her unsupervised. I opted to stay up through the nights with her for several days while other family kept an eye on her for me during the day.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:29 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Wow that looks so much cleaner and less painful!! I have never seen a flank spay before!!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:32 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

yeah, flank spay is so much better for kitty.
midline spay they open her up by going through muscle tissue, its far more invasive and I imagine alot more painful and uncomfortable during recovery.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:36 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Ask for internal dissolvable stitches instead of external ones that need to be removed. Nothing for the cat to pull at so no need for the cone! They can use them in conjunction with glue.

Only ever had midline sprays and have variable experience with this. The kittens last year were midline spayed and recovery was very quick. Despite their running and jumping! With no signs of pain. However my eldest girl was spayed midline and developed a seroma at the wound site which developed into a large egg shaped lump. It went down no problem but she still has a bit of an egg.

Most importantly, ask the vet what they are used to doing. I would not want a vet who normally sprays one way do change to do it another way on my cat. Flank sprays are better on an older cat especially so it may be worth looking around for a vet if your usual one normally sprays midline.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:03 pm 
Senior Bengal

Many thanks for the tips and advice everyone. :) I think my lesson learned at least if I had another cat after her is to have it done earlier. My other half was worried about her having a negative reaction to the anaesthetic but hopefully that is extremely rare and less likely as mentioned because she's an older cat.

Thanks for the pics also, it does look a little unsightly seeing the shaved patch in amongst such a lovely coat. I'll remember to ask the vet about the flank spay and stitches and see what they normally do.

They said they supply the painkillers and remember them mentioning the 2nd visit for removing the stitches so will ask about the other sort of stitches. What would happen with painkillers? Would they be administered orally by my afterwards or added to the food etc.?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:14 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Please tell us what country you are in if not UK.

You will prolly be sent home with loxicom ''oral suspension for cats''... its a syrupy (apparently tasty) liquid and all being well your girl should lap it from a spoon... This is ideal because you know she has taken her full dose. If she doesnt like it you can hide it in food... but try to pick a food (and an amount) she will eat entirely with no leftovers.
My girl ate like horse when she came home .. better than she has ever eaten since to be honest.

I can put a positive spin on this event for you too kmc,
Cleo's recovery was a very special bonding time for me and her... I was naturally protective and attentive (as im sure you will be) and my girl totally picked up on it like a mind reader.
She was a little scared of us at first because in the wild cats will attack other sick cats but when she realised that me (and my family after a few days) were all really caring and loving on her she soaked it up and it brought us closer.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:04 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:20 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

...and the fur grows back faster than you think! :lol:

Heather

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:08 am 
Asian Leopard Cat