It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:14 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Sherry wrote:
When I was little, I put a doll's dress on our male cat and my dad chewed me out for it! The cat didn't like it much either. I can't even remember how I managed to get it on him. I do know my current Bengal would not sit still for me to dress him up. It's a really cute costume, though. I'm partial to bumble bees.

My boyfriend was less than impressed with my putting a costume on Lily - he didn't chew me out, but his expression said all that needed to be said.
Lily is quite good in regards to sitting still when required. She will move or let you know if she does not want something. She had no issue with me putting the costume on, it was when she had it on she seemed to dislike it. Possibly the weight on her back/head caused her to be distrustful and afraid of the costume. That being said, when the hood was down she was much better with it. Maybe it covered her eyes or messed with her senses.

I think it's less acceptable to put clothes on cats than it is other animals (Dogs) so reactions are varied. And thanks - I thought it was adorable too.

n00dle wrote:
Mine just fall over slowly like they're drunk.
Max is convinced that his harness weighs at least 50 pounds and refuses to jump when wearing his harness.
However, he is calmer and more easily comforted wearing it.
Faust is terrified of his, but I'm going to have to be cruel and make him wear it
because I'm not transporting these cats 10.5 hours without harnesses on
for when I do let them out of the carriers at stops. So, they'll have to suck it up.
The devil costume a friend gave me had the same effect.
Actually, they responded better to the harnesses after experiencing the costume.
Though, Faust did appear to be a little mortified. He has a wonderful indignant face.
In the grand scheme of things, I really don't think you're going to scar a cat for life (or even days)
by putting a costume on it. If you can actually get the thing on with their (begrudging) permission,
you should be good. A cat who Does Not Want the jacket, harness, costume, will not let you get it on.

She did the fall over thing for a bit too, then lay there staring at me (with her harness) - she also does this for belly rubs (will fall sideways, roll and look expectantly at me).
She doesn't do that now as she is more used to it and yes - she allows me to put it on her no issue (the collar was more of an issue than the harness/costume to get on.)
She doesn't care about it at all. I've left it on the floor for her so she is able to see it's not hurting her or anything/sniff it and get used to it. She's happily running over it, doesn't care it's there and has been fine with me since. She's not fussed and hasn't expressed that she is traumatised in any way. She actually came for cuddles before hopping in to her bed so I'm not worried.

Good luck transporting your kitties!

Last edited by TigerLily on Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:18 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Fenstar wrote:
n00dle wrote:
Mine just fall over slowly like they're drunk.
Max is convinced that his harness weighs at least 50 pounds and refuses to jump when wearing his harness.

:lol: :lol: Alex did the same thing, it was hilarious. Once he got used to it he was all good. Now he comes galloping when I pick up his jacket, coz he knows we're going outside.

Love the bumble bee costume, Viperkeeper had something similar for Pouncey and he was equally impressed :mrgreen:

Haha! seems to happen quite frequently then! Maybe they think it'll fall off if they fall over?

Thanks! I thought it was cute - it did look better in the pictures though!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:43 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

When I was a child, I used to knit and crochet cat outfits while my cat sat on my lap. When I finally finished the sad little outfit and put it on the cat, he purred with pride. He was such a sweet cat.