[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Major Biting Issue
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Major Biting Issue
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:52 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I've had Benvolio for about a month and a half now, and I've noticed he does this very odd thing. Hoping to get some insight.

We'll be playing, and all of a sudden he'll get this "crazy" look in his eyes...I'm really not exaggerating when I say "crazy." He literally looks like he's gone mad. He'll look at me, then focus on a part of my body for a moment, still with this crazy look - usually my feet, legs, or knees if I'm sitting, although he's done it with my arms too. He'll all of a sudden pounce, but instead of just pouncing playfully he'll bite as hard has he possibly can. Almost every time it draws blood.

When he gets this crazy look, he'll meow and look at me, as if to say, "I'm sorry for doing this, I don't really want to." He'll typically do it 3-6 times in a row, and has to bite the same spot every time, just as hard as the first. Please help, I'm so afraid I'll have to get rid of him as his jawbone is only going to get stronger...

Thanks,
RaeAlisa & Benvolio

Post subject: Re: Major Biting Issue
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:13 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hiya,

I know THAT look well indeed - my 5 month old boy will do exactly the same. I have found a quick clap and NO will stop him - and has drastically reduced him doing it.
You can also distract him on to something he can attack - like a kicker toy.

One thing not to do is to scruff him or alike as he will think you are instigating play and will become more aggressive. Its good to nip it in the bud quite soon. You also might want to consider neutering him, and looking at how stimulated he is by his environment as he might be bored.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:50 am 
Bengal Kitten

Thanks for the advice. I have tried clapping and pointing and saying "no" loudly but it seems to rile him up even more. I do try to distract him with a toy but I am concerned he will bite visitors. He doesn't seem to want to stop! Very frustrating.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:22 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

He sounds like he is becoming too overstimulated, to the point that he's going nutty and isn't able to calm down immediately.

You need to stop doing whatever you're doing with him before he gets to that point. Watch his body language, there will be subtle changes before he gets to that point. Then you need to stop and walk away until he calms down again.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:36 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:01 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thank you all for the advice.
It is to the point now where he bites in any circumstance. I could just be sitting or standing (not playing with him at all), and leaps and clamps down and bites my legs as hard as he can. I know I'm not stimulating him at that point - he seems to think it's a type of play or affection but it hurts so badly!

When he does this I will immediately pry his teeth off my leg (if possible, sometimes I have to physically "undo" his jaw), point at him, and loudly say "NO BITING!" It does not seem to be working at all though, since he does it again only two or so minutes later. I am very consistent with this, but am truly growing hopeless. I have even tried treats when he doesn't do it. Please please please help!

Thanks,
Renee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:29 am 
Bengal Cat

It sounds like what you're doing isn't working, which may be stating the obvious but the only option you have is to try something different... Maybe he's enjoying the vocal responses and he's doing it to get more attention out of you. You could try silently picking him up and locking him in the bathroom, if he meows let him, ignore it until he stops then let him out.. if he doesn't stop after an hour or so let him out anyway and if he jumps to bite you again put him straight back in for another hour.

Another thing you could try if it is that drastic is one of those compressed air cans you use to clean out your computer:

http://tektype.files.wordpress.com/2010 ... ed-air.jpg

I've never had to use one as a disciplinary tool but I do have one at home and can confirm our kitten hates it, other people seem to have decent results using this or water spraying (our kitten loves water so it wouldn't work). Then there is things like Feliway which people seem to have mixed results from.. I can't really recommend this because I haven't tried it, maybe others can though.

In the mean time I wish you all the best.. I would probably be covering my legs to the point where he can't break the skin, at least then I could laugh at him for trying while I try to diffuse the situation instead of having to deal with pain induced rage...

Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:41 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

It sounds like he's looking for bigger prey -- you! Since it's happening so often, I hope there is nothing neurologically wrong with him. Kittens seem to have an endless amount of energy and Bengals even more so. Mine is six years old and still wants to play continuously, but he has never bitten or scratched me out of anger. In play, his claws will catch me if I'm not careful. This will require some behavior modification. Just watched a Cat From Hell where someone closed her kitty up in the shower as "time out" and Jackson Galaxy said the cat doesn't understand or comprehend that it's punishment. Behavior modification takes time and patience. You just need to find something else that your kitty would like to munch on more than you.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:04 am 
Bengal Cat

I'm intrigued as to why she thinks cats can't associate something negatively... My older cat and our younger kitten have learnt to associate things like getting too close to the heater means getting burnt or sticking their nose in pepper with sneezy for 10 minutes and us saying no to let us eat out dinner.. Is the difference in the immediacy of the reaction maybe? Maybe the action of picking them up and taking them takes too long, I don't know.. Seems odd to me though..

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:50 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

With Oscar (who has a toes under the duvet obsession) I've found No doesn't work. What does work is mimicking what a cat would do if you did something it didn't like - hissing or growling.

Yes, you sound mad, but I've found the noise sends a clearer message than words.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:07 pm 
Bengal Cat

Keto gets over excited within seconds of a belly rub, lol, I find its best to have a soft toy to hand to stick in the way and let him take it out on that. If he looks like he's about to 'do' something I just reach for the water spray, he knows he doesn't like it so generally behaves for a moment. If he's attacking me and I hiss, he just bites and scratches harder :(

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:29 am 
Bengal Kitten

We've had our Bengal since she was 8- weeks going on 7- months. She has started doing the exact same thing to me that you described. I have noticed she only does it on the days she doesn't wrestle.. Yes I said wrestle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:58 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Necromancer ^ :twisted: lol

Nanners?, make a new topic about your girl if you want advice/input.
Im sure you can get help from people here... having your own topic is best.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:31 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I've found the best way to let Rosie know that she has done wrong is to audibly scream at the point the play turns a bit rough. When I say scream I mean let out a very sudden and loud (so it makes the cat jump) screech of pain. She then usually gets man handled into another room to calm down for an hour. Weirdly enough I think the man handling (taking a firm grip of her, not by the scruff of the neck) and then putting her down quite abruptly in another room seems to work.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:40 am 
Bengal Kitten

I am curious if you are still having this issue - I have found myself in the same place you sound like you were with your 5-month-old. Oliver gets a maniacal look and then ATTACKS! It's gotten better in spurts, but then he regresses. It shocks me that he bites when I'm idle (and when he's idle too). I just started using compressed air - he looks pouty when I spray him, but he doesn't repeatedly bite anymore. Any other suggestions?