It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:53 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Problem
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:59 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi,

I have a bit of a problem regarding one of my cats (Bengal Colour point), basically all three of our cats, who are all brothers and sister, are free to roam around outside, but lately Neo has being 'visiting' another house in the street behind us and staying there.

He does come back for food and the occasional nap though, but another strange this is that he wont let us come too close to him, he seems to be uncomfortable with us stroking him. He does seem to be coming around a little bit but this not the Neo we love and know.

Luckily the person in the house that he goes to rang me up to say he has been there a lot and there is no problem with him staying in their house.
As you can imagine I am not happy about this.

Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:13 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Jen,

Welcome to the forum.

I'm a newbie to the bengal world (only got my first kitten Lubo a month ago) but not a new cat owner. Have always had a feline friend in my life. Not familiar with the phrase bengal colour point - what does this mean?

Has there been any changes at home? Even changing the furniture around can upset some cats :roll: . If I was in your position I think I would be asking my neighbour not to make him so welcome - I guess the more time he spends there the less easy it will be to address the problem.

Be good to see photos of your kitties. Look forward to seeing them in the gallery. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:46 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi Linda,

Thanks for the post. I will get some pictures of my cats up shortly so you can have a look at them and see what a colour point looks like.

Basically, in order to get the snow leopards to have blue eyes the introduce a Siamese in to the breeding chain, and sometimes you get a bengal cat that looks a little like a Siamese cat in the litter, i.e. black nose, ears, paws and tail and that’s where they get the name colour point from.

I have spoken to the lady and she don’t think that it is a problem, I guess I will have to be a bit firmer from now on!!!

Have a good weekend.

Jen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:37 am 
I suspect the kind lady is in fact feeding him, petting him or rewarding him in some way....

My suggestion would be to buy a water spray of some kind and ask her if she would use it on him when he tries to visit - sounds harsh, but he will learn very quickly that he isn't welcome and he'll be back at his proper home in no time 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:35 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Well,

after a day or so when we thought it was getting back to normal, Neo went awol again for an extended period. :(

We phoned the person who had contacted us previously about Neo to see whether he was near their house again and they said he was in their garden at lunchtime and they would get back to us when they got home from work.

They rung us mid evening to say that Neo had entered their house again. They offered to bring the cat back to us, but we decided to take the cat cage up and pick him up.

Jen asked about what cat flap type they had, which was generic free access type. We asked them to discourage him from coming in to their house. Unfortunately I think this has fallen on Deaf ears. :(

We've blocked our cat flap for the time being to try and get him to feel back at home, but the downside is that all three cats are now restricted to house duties, which is probably going to annoy them as they are so used to going out.

Are we doing the right thing or is there anything else we could / should be doing.?

G.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:11 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Its a pitty that your neighbour is being so unhelpful. Not sure about keeping him in - does anyone else have any views?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:11 am 
Bengal Kitten

Well...trying to keep them in didn't work. They went absolutely MENTAL in the house, all three of them.

We're just going to have to monitor the situation for the next few days and see what happens.

:(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:17 am 
Maybe you could offer to get one of those flaps that only allows in the owners cat for the "problem" house, they're not expensive and could do the trick.

Though probably the other house owner isn't bothered about it, if they already have a cat, they must like cats and they're now effectively getting a Bengal for free!

Must be nice to let your Bengal out without fear of encountering a traffic accident - I assume the roads are fairly quiet around where you are? Except when the TT is on :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:30 am 
Bengal Kitten

They don't have a cat apparently. My only thoughts at this point are that they won't block the flap up / make it unusable because they WANT our cat to be there.

We're going to have to see how this plays out over the next few days and over the weekend...

The roads are fairly quiet, and even at the TT it's ok for us as we're in a nice secluded area about 5 mins out of town. Close enough but not too close.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:46 am 
They don't even have a cat ??? :shock: That's just plain rude that they won't lock the flap then.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:40 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hi,

Here is the update:

Neo was coming around to us and staying a lot more up until last week and this week as so far he has not been back for 3/4 days apart from getting a bit of food (once a day at best). The other problem is that he will not come near us :(

It's as though he doesnt know us any more and he certainly does not trust us. :(

All he does is grawl and keep his distance although he does come up for a sniff now and again when we do see him.

This is getting very frustrating now and I am so worried that one day he won't come back at all. :cry:

I was thinking that if we do get him if it be worth putting him a room with one of us for a few hours so he can get use to us and the house again, but i dont know if that would make matters worse.

If anyone has any ideas or advice on this it would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Jen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:32 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi

Neo has found a new territory, free of other cats, with some very nice people who probably feed him and he feels comfortable there.

Does he get on with your other cats?
Even if he does, he may feel crowded.

He senses your anxiety when he does come back and maybe he has had a scare around your house and is no longer happy there.

Quote:
They rung us mid evening to say that Neo had entered their house again. They offered to bring the cat back to us, but we decided to take the cat cage up and pick him up.

See it from his point of view.
He probably didn't appreciate this. He was quite happy doing his own thing and was manhandled into a carrier and taken back to somewhere he obviously didn't want to be or he would have been curled up on your sofa and not theirs or playing in your garden not theirs.

It is a difficult one. Without the neighbour's co-operation there is little you can do. If you keep him in he may be better but I feel he will revert to his old ways. If the neighbours reject him he may try and find some other 'territory' maybe not in such a 'safe' area.

I think you need to make your place as fun a place as you can make it so that he doesn't feel the need to go elsewhere. I assume he is quite a young cat. You need to play with him without trying to stroke and catch him and spend as much time as you can with him. Don't pressurise him to come to you when you do see him and try to relax so that he sees your place as home. I don't call my cats to come to me everytime I see them they do their own thing and its them that come running to me when they see me or are curling round my legs when I am in the garden. They would think something is up, if I changed. Try to keep the anxiety out of your voice. If I need to get a cat in for example to take them to the vet or it is a particularly nice night and they don't want to come in - they can sense something is up. I walk the opposite direction and don't look at them, l look like I are doing something else and before you know it they at your side.

Get a fishing rod toy quite a long one so that he doesn't need to come very close at first and dangle it about. I wouldn't call his name or anything but keep moving it about until he starts playing. Spend quite a while doing this but don't attempt to stroke or catch him. Do this in the garden or other safe place and perhaps keep your other cats in until he learns to trust you again. Two other boisterous cats chasing afer the toy will spoil the game for him.

Get him some of his favourite food.

He needs to have a reason to come back to you. Think of ways you can achieve this. He doesn't know you spent a lot of money and that he is your cat. He is following his intincts about what is making him happy and unfortunately that is not you at this time.

He is like an errant husband, no matter how much his wife protests her love and cries and how much he feels that he is not doing the right thing, he will follow his gut feelings and go where the happiness is.
If she wants him back, the wife needs to show him what he is missing at home and where his bread is buttered. That is what you need to do.

Good luck

Elsa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:38 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi Elsa,

Thank you for your comments and I do agree/understand with what you say. It is just very frustrating. :evil:

I guess the main thing is that he is OK and like our other cats he will come back when he is ready.

Cheers,
Jen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:25 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Main concern for us now is how do we get him back to us without going to the other street without the cat cage and collecting him again?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:27 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi

Quote:
They offered to bring the cat back to us

Let your neighbours have the trauma of catching him and putting him in the cage. Let them be the bad guys in his eyes and not you.

Be ready for him and try to act normal. Don't try too hard and make a huge fuss.

Regards

Elsa