It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:29 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kitty Kamping 101
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:16 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

That was a good walk, I'm glad I read this thread it inspired me to take some behave spray with me. I had to use it when some tom was sniffing too close and made Benji hiss.

I'll start another thread about cat v cat when walking so I don't totally hijack this one.

I forgot to add to last post that I once had a problem with a harness, which is what lead me to the jacket. The plastic buckle opened one day when benji was running at speed and ran out of lead. She was totally loose. Just as well it was in the back garden.

She had a go at a few trees today, thicker ones than she would normally attempt. That tom just looked on an didn't even attempt it.
I know that Benji would love to go camping!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:34 pm 
Senior Bengal

RabbitREW wrote:
Love the tree pics and yours too. :) Max is just discovering trees can be climbed and it's fun to watch him size it up before heading up the trunk. Sounds like Eric's a great candidate for kitty kamping. It brings out a whole new side of Max. I suspect you will have fun watching Eric blossom out there. How do you handle his leash when he climbs trees?

We walk Eric on a retractable leash but I have it under tight control when climbing. We only let him go about 6/7ft high, as far as my OH can still reach. He usually starts coming down before he gets to that point. It helps if the lead is shorter when climbing so it doesn't get tangled, so I stay as close as I can.
Eric sizes the trees up too. He looks up them for a minute first, and sometimes he just dashes up the nearest one in a split second.

Thanks for the dog advice, I will google a pet sling, that sounds like a good idea. He got spooked the other day when two barmy young dogs were barking and running around loopy. I picked him up but he was scared and digging his claws in. It really put me on edge and I was panicking as to whether we do the right thing by walking him. There just isn't anywhere where you don't meet dog owners. I love dogs, but just worry it stresses Eric out, but I guess he will get used to it and the benefits far out weigh the odd isolated incidents. Can't wait for our own kitty camping :) Max is gorgeous by the way. Very striking. Sounds like he loves camping and the great outdoors. Love the pictures, I like the laser eyed leopard one. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:21 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

gmcraib wrote:
Main thing is to make sure the jacket is on correctly and fits well, the cat should be supervised but if not make sure there is not enough leash for them to get into trouble. Its all common sense really, but all it takes is a bit of routine and complacency to lead you to a problem.

Louise would say this herself and it's advice I duly note and follow: as long as they jacket is on, you should never leave your cat unsupervised for the reasons you've noted. Even with a shortened lead (we use a retractable one), it's still a hazard as they can get tangled up in it when you're not looking and can cause some serious safety hazards. Even when we bring our two to OH's allotment, we check on them periodically so we know what they're up to. Usually they cry if they get stuck, but one time we were trying to get them out of the rain and Tigger's lead got caught and he was panicking. Luckily we got to him quickly, untangled his lead and got him when he escaped his jacket. Otherwise, we probably would have had a field day of trying to get him back into his jacket in pouring rain in an allotment ground with 36 plots :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:52 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

viperkeeper wrote:
Kyenta1 wrote:
RabbitREW wrote:
PICS?? :wink:

Sorry, I did not take any pictures. I am the world's worst photographer.

Well I hope you have crayons I expect colored drawings complete with smelly poo squiggles.

Still waiting ......

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:36 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Beautiful, Viper! I think you truly captured the spirit of the moment. :roll:

btw...your crayon is green (not purple OR blue)...also, Quasar has more spots. :P

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:47 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

viperkeeper wrote:
viperkeeper wrote:
Kyenta1 wrote:
Sorry, I did not take any pictures. I am the world's worst photographer.

Well I hope you have crayons I expect colored drawings complete with smelly poo squiggles.

Still waiting ......

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: that made my day!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:35 pm 
Senior Bengal

RabbitREW wrote:
Parrissnpo wrote:
Spent ages trying to find a pic of our caravan to show you, had a great time lhunting through pics & seeing how much the kids have grown up in the last year. Anyway I couldn't find one of the caravan we have now so here's a pic of the one we had before, new one is a bit bigger & more suited to 4 people 1 dog & 2 cats.

I can't wait to see pics and read about caravan kitty adventures! :) Binki would be well suited to caravan camping vs. tent camping IMO.

Might be a long wait now :( have spent holidays putting in a bathroom suite, well OH not me haha :lol:

Viperkeeper love the drawing, right made me chuckle :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:29 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

just got back from kitty kamping with OH, Tigger and Nala last night. For those living in windy areas (like where we went on Tuesday and came back from yesterday) which probably refers to quite a lot of camping spots in Scotland around this time of year (we went to Tantallon, just outside of North Berwick) and stayed in a wigwam. Because it gets quite windy and the noise bothers Tigger and Nala, the sturdy structure of the wigwam definitely helped. We set up camp inside the wigwam and made up a 'kitty corner' with their bed and some catnip/valerian toys, set up their litter trays and scratch post and scratch box and their Cheese Chase around different parts of the wigwam.

At first both were constantly hiding under the benches, but surprisingly Nala was the adventurous one constantly going outside to explore. To help them settle and feel comfortable, we gave them a snack of a small handful of Taste of the Wild dry food (they only get 2 meals a day) and we took out the catnip toys so they could play with us like we were at home. We basically closed the door and stayed inside for the first bit while we set up 'home base', but once we were done, we kept their jackets and leads on and left the door open so they can go out if they wanted and we went with them. It was also a quiet spot with only 4 wigwams so it helped. The next door wigwam had a Jack Russell puppy, but other than that there weren't any other dogs we could see that bothered them.

The small flashing LED lights we attached to their jackets helped to locate them at night. Even though we had their jackets and leads on at all times when the door to the wigwam was opened, it was quite difficult to see them at night when they were chasing after bugs and birds in the dark. At first, Nala was unsure what the tinkling noise (of the LED light bouncing) was, but she forgot about it after about 5 secs and continued running around the grassy patches.

We also encouraged them outdoors by feeding them on the porch of the wigwam after feeding them that first time indoors. They had no problems with this and the door was always open so if they weren't happy with the Jack Russell puppy running around, they could always temporarily find safety inside the wigwam. In terms of food, we took more than enough Taste of the Wild biscuits with us to last 3 days (they have this for breakfast) in an airtight container with a rubber band around it (if you've got one of the boxes with the side click locks on them, all the better) and because their dinner is in separate packs anyway (they get Pets At Home Purely chicken pouches and fish tins for dinner) there was no problems with keeping this fresh.

Will post photos of their adventures soon!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:11 pm 
Bengal Cat

RabbitREW wrote:
Would love glow stick alternatives as I hate that they only last one night. It was a fluke I discovered them. I had bought a funny glow stick wand for something else (impulse buy from the 99 cent bin around the 4thof July). When I got it out to be silly ehrn we were camping (OH didn't know I had it), I saw it was really just several very small glow sticks that go into a handle. :roll: :cry: They wouldn't even stay in the handle so I just put them in the mesh pockets of the tent. They ended up being very useful during the night! :) By continuing them I really mean continuing some kind of very subtle night light. Bring on the suggestions! :wink:

Alternatively, find and make some paramedic or maybe fire fighter friends, at least here in Canada, emergency responders have and use glow sticks on emerg calls, but they can't keep any that are out of date. They have expiry dates on them. So, the replace the expired ones and throw the expired ones in the garbage. I have used glow stick that have been 4, or five years expired and they still work fine. You could befriend someone from one of these places and could get them for free.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:12 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

resurrecting an old thread here.
But still interested in going camping with Benji.
We went away for the weekend last year to the isle of skye and cheated by staying in a hotel. But she loved it. Maybe not so keen on the drive and with her constant meowing and moving around in the car I was sure something was wrong. But stopping to let her out made it worse.
I used to be quite happy letting her wander around the car but now am not so keen as she just gets too restless. So its better to keep her in her cat box, let her moan for a bit and then she will settle. Its just a test they give you... :)

Although sometimes she is quite happy in the catbox as usually a trip in the car means going to the park or going somewhere new. But also the vet LOL. even that is interesting though as there is always lots to see and do there.

Anyways, I digress.
Was going to ask about logistics of camping. Do you allocate a special toilet and feeding area? Not sure how you would do this in the confines of a tent. How on earth would you deal with the smell?!!
So maybe the answer is letting them go outside, but again lots of issues there as you can't just leave the door open and expect them to come back.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:17 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

On the tree thing, we have a system. I will let her climb a bit and then say ok that's enough and she will stop. Then ok Benji get down and she will delicately reverse herself. Took a bit of practise that and she had gone too high a couple of times in the excitement. Plus if you are running and she gets too far on the lead or suddenly climbs a tree she can climb quite quickly before you can get close enough to coax her back down again.
So you have to stay on your toes.

But it tires them out so much on a walk, its great. you will get some peace after that!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:10 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

gmcraib wrote:
Was going to ask about logistics of camping. Do you allocate a special toilet and feeding area? Not sure how you would do this in the confines of a tent. How on earth would you deal with the smell?!!
So maybe the answer is letting them go outside, but again lots of issues there as you can't just leave the door open and expect them to come back.

We have a litterbox in the tent. Quasar eats a raw diet so his poo really doesn't smell.

During the day, he is on a harness and leash outside. He has occasionally toileted outside but usually lets us know and we just take him into the tent to go.

When we are unable to watch him on the harness yet want to be outside, he has a collapsible dog kennel we pop up and he stays in that. It really works well, although we need to be sure it is on a safe, flat surface because he can roll it over from the inside, if he gets excited.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:27 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I second the Raw diet and not having any smell. Really he prefers to use the leaves outside. On occasion he has to go early in the morning and I might just take the box out and clean it as soon as he's done. The tent has so much mesh it airs out quick.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:51 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'm not much on camping and even less so if I have my Bengal with me. He is a spitfire and, although he loves walking with a harness and leash, he would want to go all over the place. Forget any other animals being around. He chases after everything. But I so I love reading your camping experiences with your "kids."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:37 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi everyone! I'm taking my kitties camping for the first time tomorrow!! But it looks like its going to be a little cold at night, low of 1 degree Celsius :/

Any tips on taking precautions of keeping them extra warm? They have grown accustomed to being in a big 4'x4' cage, lined with a fleece mat and blankets. I've fed them in there, played with them in there, and they have napped in there

Lastly, I have an airbed, I see so do a lot of other people, but I have heard horror stories about cats scratching through them! Any words of advice? I will definitely be bringing my smaller cat post for them to scratch on

Thanks in advance!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next