It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:56 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:38 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

echoplexia wrote:
viperkeeper wrote:
WOW! Great memory! She did her own thread on it too viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16079&p=189982

Ahh yes, I thought I remembered a specific thread for it but on a quick search of "modified break away" yours was the first one I saw. :razz:

I remembered "ghetto" LOL :crazy:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:04 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

viperkeeper wrote:
People thought I was over selling, but I love the Loc8tor viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15411The original one has a proximity alarm so it would warn you when the cats out of the garden. The cat's collar beeps too. Pouncey knows to come back when he hears the sound. I didn't train him to he learned it on his own. I'm sure adding treats in the mix you could train any cat. Like the sound of a can opener is but on the collar.

ohh so glad i found this.

I am looking for something at the moment , however not sure what.
I need either to see them in the dark, in the bushes ( something flashing??) , or need to hear them (perhaps locator)
they never wore any collars ever and i am not a big fan of them either.
How does Locator work for you ?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:09 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

laurel wrote:

I need either to see them in the dark, in the bushes ( something flashing??) , or need to hear them (perhaps locator)

Read through viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16329&p=192785 I talk about the light I used, its a cheap solution. The Loc8tor doesn't just beep, in fact I disabled the beeping on one of the tags so Pouncey doesn't know I'm coming. It shows you what direction your cat is in and how far, it leads you to your cat.

I think it's the best thing I've bought for my cat. We go for walks and he could be hiding in a bush right next to me and I don't know where he is. I have the newer smaller version but the older one goes farther and has the proximity feature. Another nice thing about the old one is it uses normal batteries, I think AAA instead of the watch batteries. I'd just use rechargeable AAA and put fresh charged ones in before a long walk. The new one is small really small not much bigger than a credit card. While being small is nice I constantly loose it too.

I just bought new batteries for the tag. Walmart was one for $7 and it needs 2, Amazon was 10 for $8 shipped so go online for batteries.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:43 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

viperkeeper wrote:
laurel wrote:

Read through viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16329&p=192785 I talk about the light I used, its a cheap solution. The Loc8tor doesn't just beep, in fact I disabled the beeping on one of the tags so Pouncey doesn't know I'm coming. It shows you what direction your cat is in and how far, it leads you to your cat.

I think it's the best thing I've bought for my cat. We go for walks and he could be hiding in a bush right next to me and I don't know where he is. I have the newer smaller version but the older one goes farther and has the proximity feature. Another nice thing about the old one is it uses normal batteries, I think AAA instead of the watch batteries. I'd just use rechargeable AAA and put fresh charged ones in before a long walk. The new one is small really small not much bigger than a credit card. While being small is nice I constantly loose it too.

I just bought new batteries for the tag. Walmart was one for $7 and it needs 2, Amazon was 10 for $8 shipped so go online for batteries.

thanks ! just ordered one with proximity feature for £99.99
they also advertise one with gps feature, not sure whether i need one, just thought it was interesting idea.
but i did not like monthly payments for using gps.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:17 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

The GPS is going to be bigger. I would think you need to pay a monthly fee too. The unit would need to send its location so it would probably use cell phone towers so you would need a type of cell plain. Also I don't have cell signal everywhere so it wouldn't work here.

Edit: Sorry missed your comment on the monthly payment. So you got the larger one? Reason I ask is I thought the small one was $99 and the big one was more I know it's dollars and pounds just asking. Please do a review I'm curious on how you like it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:32 am 
Senior Bengal

The GPS in the collar i didnt like it! Way to big and the weight for the cat in the neck can be risky, but the one that goes in his body hidden, looks good! Might be looking forward to it! Probably buy it. Looks good.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:00 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

MarxAbruna wrote:
The GPS in the collar i didnt like it! Way to big and the weight for the cat in the neck can be risky, but the one that goes in his body hidden, looks good! Might be looking forward to it! Probably buy it. Looks good.

There is no microchip yet developed that can identify the GPS position of a dog or a cat.
The microchip when scanned merely identifies the cat, a collar is needed to provide GPS location.

They can work well together, but the GPS collar is really more suited to a dog than a cat.

If your cat is stuck down a hole or has been stolen or someone is just feeding it three streets away, or the waste disposal failed to scan it if it is road kill, or it is lost completely and has gone feral, then the the identification chip will not find it, but if it ever enters the system ie ends up in rescue then they will scan the chip and identify it and it will come back to you.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:39 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

viperkeeper wrote:
The GPS is going to be bigger. I would think you need to pay a monthly fee too. The unit would need to send its location so it would probably use cell phone towers so you would need a type of cell plain. Also I don't have cell signal everywhere so it wouldn't work here.

Edit: Sorry missed your comment on the monthly payment. So you got the larger one? Reason I ask is I thought the small one was $99 and the big one was more I know it's dollars and pounds just asking. Please do a review I'm curious on how you like it.

No i got smaller one for 99 pounds no gps but has proximity feature. Havent received it yet but will review it once all in place. Gps one was 129 pounds plus 12 pounds per month for gps usage

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:57 pm 
Senior Bengal

laurel wrote:
viperkeeper wrote:
laurel wrote:

Read through http://www.bengalcatforums.com/forums/v ... 9&p=192785 I talk about the light I used, its a cheap solution. The Loc8tor doesn't just beep, in fact I disabled the beeping on one of the tags so Pouncey doesn't know I'm coming. It shows you what direction your cat is in and how far, it leads you to your cat.

thanks ! just ordered one with proximity feature for £99.99
they also advertise one with gps feature, not sure whether i need one, just thought it was interesting idea.
but i did not like monthly payments for using gps.

This thing is cheap! is excellent! I'm buying one for my cat!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:59 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

laurel wrote:
viperkeeper wrote:

No i got smaller one for 99 pounds no gps but has proximity feature. Havent received it yet but will review it once all in place. Gps one was 129 pounds plus 12 pounds per month for gps usage

ok, so i wanted to review my purchase.

Unfortunately i do not find it practical in my environment and for my purposes.
I am still trying to adapt to it , but at the moment it looks like my verbal command works much better and much faster.
one of my main problem with the locator is that it cannot tell me immediatly whether my cats are inside in the house or outside.
e.g. the locator keeps beeping and leads me around the garden whilst my cats are upstairs in the house. very confusing.

i try to spend more time with it trying different things inlc. proximity alert.
but overall - verbal commands are more reliable for me at the moment, even though Indiya sometimes prefers to ignore me

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:57 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I know it's tough indoors because of the different levels and obstructions.I found myself on the wrong floor looking before. But I had no need to use it inside and only put it on when he was outside anyways.

It did take a bit of time to get a feel for it. Say a signal is strong on either side of a house but not directly at the house. That usual meant he's right behind the house but the house was blocking the signal.

I can't speak for the proximity feature as I don't have it but give it time you'll get the feel for it. Once you loose your cat and realize you may never have found it without it you'll love it. I've driven around in a rain storm before and found him cold, wet and far from home. I would have been up all night calling him and freaking out it really saved my sanitary.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:12 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

viperkeeper wrote:
I know it's tough indoors because of the different levels and obstructions.I found myself on the wrong floor looking before. But I had no need to use it inside and only put it on when he was outside anyways.

It did take a bit of time to get a feel for it. Say a signal is strong on either side of a house but not directly at the house. That usual meant he's right behind the house but the house was blocking the signal.

I can't speak for the proximity feature as I don't have it but give it time you'll get the feel for it. Once you loose your cat and realize you may never have found it without it you'll love it. I've driven around in a rain storm before and found him cold, wet and far from home. I would have been up all night calling him and freaking out it really saved my sanitary.

ohh I hope I dont get to do it !! i mean loosing my cats and then looking for them with locator !! but , yes I agree, locator would be a saver in this case.
I also bought them reflective collars now, and they really help me to see them in the dark.
I am thinking now to buy flashing collars to optimise my night visual.
My garden is more or less has straight lines - so flashing collars in the dark should work great for me !
I just hope they wont attract bats or other hunting creatures at night . lol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:13 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I don't think you guys have predators like we do and a bat, unless it's a vampire bat has no interest in your cat or decent eyes.

Everything is open here no no physical barriers to stop any animals. I don't let my cat roam free but we go for walks or if I'm outside he comes out too. The loc8tor is ideal for me, it found him hiding in tree a few times and literally stuck inside a tree once. It paid for itself for just that rainy night. I was working on my car in the garage it was pouring rain with the door open. The cat just hung out for hours then sometime around 2am he went outside, I figured he would just go under the porch or something but nope he went far away.

I think I wasn't all that happy at first with it but after the fist time it found him when I didn't know where he was I started praising it. Give it time you'll never understand how you could live without it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:54 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

so I got flashing collars now.
OMG - what a great result for me !!
i can now see them miles away in the pitch dark, on the trees , and hiding in the bushes. Soo easy now!!
I would def recommend it if anyone has similar issues that i did .
locator is still with me , unfortunately i am post return time now - so will have to figure out where to use or resell it .. anyone ??

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:03 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

That looks cool. What kind of batteries? Link?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next