It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:45 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: ***Please read this***
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:55 pm 
Senior Bengal

This is something I feel very strongly about. I hope you all can sign the petition. In my opinion killing for fun is so inhumane primitive and barbaric, it should be completely banned.

http://www.change.org/petitions/prime-minister-joseph-muscat-ban-any-form-of-hunting-in-malta?share_id=dNfZCXZCiK&utm_campaign=signature_receipt&utm_medium=email&utm_source=share_petition

The little Mediterranean island of Malta where my mother was from, and which during WWII was the most heavily bombed place on earth, has serious issues concerning the murder of protected birds.
(Ok, I know cats kill a lot of birds, but at least they have a chance if they're alert enough.)

So on to the issue;
Malta has an EU spring and autumn hunting derogation which is being grossly violated. The derogation allows them to shoot turtle dove and quail, however its become a free for all. If it flies, it gets killed. Many protected migratory species including very rare birds are being blown out of the sky.
There are far too many instances of hunting illegalities on the island. There are 10,000 registered hunters. They are allowed to shoot two birds per day, and by law they have to send a text to the hunting federation each time they murder a bird. In reality they don't. It's often bragged by many about killing upwards of 50 per day.
Also, the birds in the nature reserves don't fare any better. Hunters will kill birds there as well. The police don't have the manpower to protect them and most hunters feel they are immune to prosecution.
The actions of these few are causing deep concern for the majority of the population of the island.
So if you feel as I do, and consider all life to be precious, please sign the petition and get your friends to sign it also.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:03 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Signed!

Heather

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:57 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Husband and I both signed!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:57 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Signed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:48 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Signed! Here in my state, all songbirds are protected -- and we can't harm them in any way. Of course, sometimes a neighbor's cat will get one.