It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:18 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: RSPCA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:16 am 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:59 am
Posts: 4129
Location: Leicestershire, UK
I have never really been a massive supporter of the RSPCA but have felt they have a place and do a reasonable job most of the time but occasionally problems arise. I am now hearing more and more stories about peoples experiences with them that, quite frankly, makes me feel a little ill.

The latest one was to do with a pair of Korat cats. The owner had died and relatives had signed the cats over to the RSPCA. A member of a breeder group i am on was highlighted to their plight by her niece who was looking for a cat. They were at the Leicester branch and the lady who found them was fairly interested i believe but the RSPCA wanted a very large sum for their rehome because they were full pedigree cats :rolleyes: I believe they wanted around £300 per cat so £600 for the pair. The centre refused to give the pedigree information to anyone phoning to enquire and would only say that the papers would be handed over when they were adopted. I am local to the area so popped in to see if they would give me more information if explained that we could maybe trace their breeder to see if she could help with the rehoming. Again, they refused. These poor cats were terrified and cowered in a corner.

After a lot of effort from breeders the Korat cat club were informed and set up a welfare collection. They were able to raise funds to pay to have the Korats released into a foster carers possession. They had to pay the RSPCA in order to take two scared, petrified and aggressive cats out of the rescue and into an experienced Korat breeders home. These cats could not be handled at the rescue centre. They were not eating. Had lost a lot of weight. They were depressed and were making themselves ill. Still the RSPCA refused to allow an experienced breeder of Korats to foster them without handing over a large amount of money.

It seems the RSPCA only cared about what the financial reward would be and had no care for the health of them. They only agreed to them being fostered because the cats were becoming ill and needed medicating. However they still insisted on money first. Within 24 hours of being at the breeders house the cats were cuddling on her lap and eating. She was able to medicate them with no problem and has found them a home together (which the RSPCA were not bothered that they went together according to who i spoke with). The registration papers were handed direct to the new owner, they were not given to the foster lady as the RSPCA did not trust the breeder.

It really shocked me and i will no longer support them.

_________________
Lollo
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RSPCA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:28 am 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:19 pm
Posts: 3302
Wow Lollo what a horrific story!!! Unfortunately it's all to common around here, to the point out local "ASPCA" will no longer even take in cats at all!! I did volunteer at one in the town next to us but I don't anymore!! They started charging $400 for the adoption of a purebred cat and $500 for a purebred dog, even without the proof! Then the prices for mixed breeds went up to 250 it was insane! The only reason they did it was because people(like me) were putting their time and effort into preparing for adoption fairs! So there was a huge increase in adoptions so they thought they would make more money! It's really sad and I hope not many are like that!!!

_________________
ImageImage
Brandi BB & Mochi


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RSPCA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:42 am 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:18 am
Posts: 1357
Location: Hampshire
Thats sad - the poor kitties (googles Korat).
I went this week to my local cat rescue centre (first time I'd ever been) to donate some of the food that mine wont eat and also a cat bed that Zooplus refunded but didn't want returned (i wasn't happy with it - my boys would destroy it in seconds).
Anyway - this was a Cats Protection League place and although its such a sad place, all these lovely lovely cats with no homes - the staff were lovely, the cats chatty and interested as I walked around and the most adorable 4 month old black kittens that just melted your heart. The guy cleaning the units that i chatted too seemed so genuine and nice, I left thinking that these cats probably had a better life in the shelter than they did in their previous environment.
Such a shame that not all places could be like it.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RSPCA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:17 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:12 pm
Posts: 544
Location: South Yorkshire UK
Our local Cats Protection league has a blanket no Bengals policy and won't take in Bengal cats or help anyone needing to re-home a Bengal cat regardless of the individual animals personality, not sure how they can call themselves cats protection when they pick and choose which cats they will help :sad: The real shame is that there are so many branches in that area that they have drowned out any other rescue that didn't discriminate against specific breeds.

_________________
Image
http://www.mokumeganebengals.co.uk/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RSPCA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:35 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:47 pm
Posts: 3809
Location: UK
Jenda wrote:
Our local Cats Protection league has a blanket no Bengals policy and won't take in Bengal cats or help anyone needing to re-home a Bengal cat regardless of the individual animals personality, not sure how they can call themselves cats protection when they pick and choose which cats they will help :sad:


Have you asked them why?

_________________
Elaine


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RSPCA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:55 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:08 pm
Posts: 2927
Location: West Midlands, UK
Sadly I'm not surprised. I'm sure people are aware about my feelings about the RSPCA so I won't rehash only to say that an awful story - but am so pleased the cats are ok now :-)

I save up all my show prizes and goodies to take to my local CPL - I didn't have a very good experience with them if im honest - they rehomed a cat with Herpes to me many moons ago telling me the cat was clear - infected my Persian who although is now 15 has ulcerated eyes because of it :cry:
However they are lovely people there and I figure the stuff I give will help - I would rather give to them then the RSCPA - they would probably stick it all on ebay rather then give to the cats ...thats how much I don't trust them :neutral:

_________________
Image
Image
BBUKU Website


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RSPCA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:26 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:12 pm
Posts: 544
Location: South Yorkshire UK
junglerose wrote:
Jenda wrote:
Our local Cats Protection league has a blanket no Bengals policy and won't take in Bengal cats or help anyone needing to re-home a Bengal cat regardless of the individual animals personality, not sure how they can call themselves cats protection when they pick and choose which cats they will help :sad:


Have you asked them why?


Apparently they feel that Bengals will not settle in to a rescue center, I thought it was a rather odd explanation really as there is no guarantee that any cat will settle in that sort of environment and they are happy to take other active breeds. Tbh I expect that really it is down to ignorance and inexperience with the breed and influenced by the poor reputation the early generation cats originally had but it makes me wonder what will happen to the multitude of 'Bengal' and Bengal cross kittens that are being produced by bybs in the area if their owners ever need to re-home them :sad:

_________________
Image
http://www.mokumeganebengals.co.uk/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RSPCA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:09 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:29 pm
Posts: 387
Location: Nottingham
I foster for a rescue in nottinghamshire and derbyshire called cross counties cat resue. As its a small local rescue not a nation wide charity charity like rspca we are able to really cater for each individual cat, placing them in the rescue and into suitable foster homes while pending adoption. We have the time to be thourough about who we adopt to and dont rush applications just to make room for new cats coming in. We charge £60 adoption fee which covers vaccination, neutering, and micro chip. Obv in that sense the rescue doesnt really make money, and when fostering i pay for all my own litter and food. If it wernt for us genuinley volunteering, unlike the rspca who do use adoption fees for wages ect :neutral: then these cats would be put to sleep :cry:

This is Marley and Moon who are in residence at the moment and are vailable for adoption by the way :wink:


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

_________________
http://natasha-jago.tumblr.com/
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RSPCA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:41 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:52 am
Posts: 3090
Location: Essex, UK
wow how old were these cats? £300 each? At a rescue?! :eek:

The rspca near me also wont accept bengals as they are 'too nasty and vicious'. Infact I was turned down by the rspca to rehomed a kitten some years ago now, as I wanted to keep him indoors, at this point I was in a apartment, the lady I called was very snotty and said that the kittens had already 'had a taste of the outside world' they were 6 weeks old :eek: and that they must have access to the outside, I didnt live near a busy road but I said to her 'oh say I lived near a road' she said 'they you cant adopt with that either' ?!?!

I thought they seriously needed homes?! Yet all these things in the way!

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RSPCA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:02 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:23 am
Posts: 839
Location: West Sussex
Jenda wrote:
junglerose wrote:
Jenda wrote:
Our local Cats Protection league has a blanket no Bengals policy and won't take in Bengal cats or help anyone needing to re-home a Bengal cat regardless of the individual animals personality, not sure how they can call themselves cats protection when they pick and choose which cats they will help :sad:


Have you asked them why?


Apparently they feel that Bengals will not settle in to a rescue center, I thought it was a rather odd explanation really as there is no guarantee that any cat will settle in that sort of environment and they are happy to take other active breeds. Tbh I expect that really it is down to ignorance and inexperience with the breed and influenced by the poor reputation the early generation cats originally had but it makes me wonder what will happen to the multitude of 'Bengal' and Bengal cross kittens that are being produced by bybs in the area if their owners ever need to re-home them :sad:


I got Benji from my local CPL and they were very thorough about making sure I knew about the breed before I even got to look at him.

He was on his second stay with them and had been there for 3 months after being returned (after a year :eek: ) by his last adopter. I was given a huge amount of information about his history (which I probably shouldn't have been told) and I was allowed to have him on a 2 months trial. The fosterer has kept in touch throughout as they had him both times he was at CPL and wanted to be sure that I (and he) were managing and happy.

I know I have been very fortunate and will continue to donate and fund raise for my local CPL as I don't think they could have done any better.

So much money is wasted by the RSPCA on "administration" that I will give them NOTHING!


Heather

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RSPCA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:01 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:59 am
Posts: 4129
Location: Leicestershire, UK
Taylorbaby wrote:
wow how old were these cats? £300 each? At a rescue?! :eek:

The rspca near me also wont accept bengals as they are 'too nasty and vicious'. Infact I was turned down by the rspca to rehomed a kitten some years ago now, as I wanted to keep him indoors, at this point I was in a apartment, the lady I called was very snotty and said that the kittens had already 'had a taste of the outside world' they were 6 weeks old :eek: and that they must have access to the outside, I didnt live near a busy road but I said to her 'oh say I lived near a road' she said 'they you cant adopt with that either' ?!?!

I thought they seriously needed homes?! Yet all these things in the way!


I think they were around 3 years old.

They were just a commodity for them to get more money. They told me that they were pedigree and so worth the money and they would cost me far more through a breeder. I said that I doubt it at that age but they were just after as much money as possible for them. Thing is, it would have cost them a fair bit to keep them at the rescue for a long time since they were pretty unadoptable in their current state. In fact, they would probably have been put to sleep due to aggression :cry: They have a very selfish and childish attitude really.

It has truly shocked me to be honest.

_________________
Lollo
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RSPCA
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:08 am 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:12 pm
Posts: 544
Location: South Yorkshire UK
Tigertail wrote:
Jenda wrote:
Our local Cats Protection league has a blanket no Bengals policy and won't take in Bengal cats or help anyone needing to re-home a Bengal cat regardless of the individual animals personality, not sure how they can call themselves cats protection when they pick and choose which cats they will help :sad:


I got Benji from my local CPL and they were very thorough about making sure I knew about the breed before I even got to look at him.

He was on his second stay with them and had been there for 3 months after being returned (after a year :eek: ) by his last adopter. I was given a huge amount of information about his history (which I probably shouldn't have been told) and I was allowed to have him on a 2 months trial. The fosterer has kept in touch throughout as they had him both times he was at CPL and wanted to be sure that I (and he) were managing and happy.

I know I have been very fortunate and will continue to donate and fund raise for my local CPL as I don't think they could have done any better.

So much money is wasted by the RSPCA on "administration" that I will give them NOTHING!


Heather


Each branch has discretion to decide which breeds they will work with, in my area they all have the same no Bengals policy. I'm glad that your local CPL is less discriminatory.

_________________
Image
http://www.mokumeganebengals.co.uk/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RSPCA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:55 am 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:52 am
Posts: 3090
Location: Essex, UK
lollo2304 wrote:
Taylorbaby wrote:
wow how old were these cats? £300 each? At a rescue?! :eek:

The rspca near me also wont accept bengals as they are 'too nasty and vicious'. Infact I was turned down by the rspca to rehomed a kitten some years ago now, as I wanted to keep him indoors, at this point I was in a apartment, the lady I called was very snotty and said that the kittens had already 'had a taste of the outside world' they were 6 weeks old :eek: and that they must have access to the outside, I didnt live near a busy road but I said to her 'oh say I lived near a road' she said 'they you cant adopt with that either' ?!?!

I thought they seriously needed homes?! Yet all these things in the way!


I think they were around 3 years old.

They were just a commodity for them to get more money. They told me that they were pedigree and so worth the money and they would cost me far more through a breeder. I said that I doubt it at that age but they were just after as much money as possible for them. Thing is, it would have cost them a fair bit to keep them at the rescue for a long time since they were pretty unadoptable in their current state. In fact, they would probably have been put to sleep due to aggression :cry: They have a very selfish and childish attitude really.

It has truly shocked me to be honest.


no way would they be £300 at 3 years old, I asked for £50 for my slighty older cats to cover neutering that I have adopted out who didnt like living with lots of cats, infact I gave my bengal who was 18 months old away for free!

Totally shocking asking that amount of money!

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RSPCA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:06 am 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:47 pm
Posts: 3809
Location: UK
Quote:
A member of a breeder group i am on was highlighted to their plight by her niece who was looking for a cat. They were at the Leicester branch and the lady who found them was fairly interested i believe but the RSPCA wanted a very large sum for their rehome because they were full pedigree cats I believe they wanted around £300 per cat so £600 for the pair.


So what basically is the difference between the RSPCA here and a BYB?
Both are using the cats as a cash cow.
The BYB would of at last have paid for the cats at one point, the RSPCA got them for free. The BYB may have been more negotiable on price too. £300 for an older neutered cat sounds way off the going rate to me too.

I can see that the RSPCA wants and needs money but selling cats they got for free doesn't seem right to me.

_________________
Elaine


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RSPCA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:28 am 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:29 pm
Posts: 387
Location: Nottingham
They get the cats for free obv cus no one wants them...then obv sell them to make back the money they have spent on food, litter, vaccs, neutering.....

ok obv there are cases where they are blatently overcharging but i think it pretty obv why they need to try sell cats for a profit lol. I must say the RSPCA in notts and derbyshire are excellent and run by lovely people x

_________________
http://natasha-jago.tumblr.com/
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Powered by meemonkey