[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - RSPCA
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:58 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: RSPCA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:16 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I have never really been a massive supporter of the RSPCA but have felt they have a place and do a reasonable job most of the time but occasionally problems arise. I am now hearing more and more stories about peoples experiences with them that, quite frankly, makes me feel a little ill.

The latest one was to do with a pair of Korat cats. The owner had died and relatives had signed the cats over to the RSPCA. A member of a breeder group i am on was highlighted to their plight by her niece who was looking for a cat. They were at the Leicester branch and the lady who found them was fairly interested i believe but the RSPCA wanted a very large sum for their rehome because they were full pedigree cats :rolleyes: I believe they wanted around £300 per cat so £600 for the pair. The centre refused to give the pedigree information to anyone phoning to enquire and would only say that the papers would be handed over when they were adopted. I am local to the area so popped in to see if they would give me more information if explained that we could maybe trace their breeder to see if she could help with the rehoming. Again, they refused. These poor cats were terrified and cowered in a corner.

After a lot of effort from breeders the Korat cat club were informed and set up a welfare collection. They were able to raise funds to pay to have the Korats released into a foster carers possession. They had to pay the RSPCA in order to take two scared, petrified and aggressive cats out of the rescue and into an experienced Korat breeders home. These cats could not be handled at the rescue centre. They were not eating. Had lost a lot of weight. They were depressed and were making themselves ill. Still the RSPCA refused to allow an experienced breeder of Korats to foster them without handing over a large amount of money.

It seems the RSPCA only cared about what the financial reward would be and had no care for the health of them. They only agreed to them being fostered because the cats were becoming ill and needed medicating. However they still insisted on money first. Within 24 hours of being at the breeders house the cats were cuddling on her lap and eating. She was able to medicate them with no problem and has found them a home together (which the RSPCA were not bothered that they went together according to who i spoke with). The registration papers were handed direct to the new owner, they were not given to the foster lady as the RSPCA did not trust the breeder.

It really shocked me and i will no longer support them.

Post subject: Re: RSPCA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:28 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Wow Lollo what a horrific story!!! Unfortunately it's all to common around here, to the point out local "ASPCA" will no longer even take in cats at all!! I did volunteer at one in the town next to us but I don't anymore!! They started charging $400 for the adoption of a purebred cat and $500 for a purebred dog, even without the proof! Then the prices for mixed breeds went up to 250 it was insane! The only reason they did it was because people(like me) were putting their time and effort into preparing for adoption fairs! So there was a huge increase in adoptions so they thought they would make more money! It's really sad and I hope not many are like that!!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:42 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thats sad - the poor kitties (googles Korat).
I went this week to my local cat rescue centre (first time I'd ever been) to donate some of the food that mine wont eat and also a cat bed that Zooplus refunded but didn't want returned (i wasn't happy with it - my boys would destroy it in seconds).
Anyway - this was a Cats Protection League place and although its such a sad place, all these lovely lovely cats with no homes - the staff were lovely, the cats chatty and interested as I walked around and the most adorable 4 month old black kittens that just melted your heart. The guy cleaning the units that i chatted too seemed so genuine and nice, I left thinking that these cats probably had a better life in the shelter than they did in their previous environment.
Such a shame that not all places could be like it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:17 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Our local Cats Protection league has a blanket no Bengals policy and won't take in Bengal cats or help anyone needing to re-home a Bengal cat regardless of the individual animals personality, not sure how they can call themselves cats protection when they pick and choose which cats they will help :sad: The real shame is that there are so many branches in that area that they have drowned out any other rescue that didn't discriminate against specific breeds.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:35 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:55 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Sadly I'm not surprised. I'm sure people are aware about my feelings about the RSPCA so I won't rehash only to say that an awful story - but am so pleased the cats are ok now :-)

I save up all my show prizes and goodies to take to my local CPL - I didn't have a very good experience with them if im honest - they rehomed a cat with Herpes to me many moons ago telling me the cat was clear - infected my Persian who although is now 15 has ulcerated eyes because of it :cry:
However they are lovely people there and I figure the stuff I give will help - I would rather give to them then the RSCPA - they would probably stick it all on ebay rather then give to the cats ...thats how much I don't trust them :neutral:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:26 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:09 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I foster for a rescue in nottinghamshire and derbyshire called cross counties cat resue. As its a small local rescue not a nation wide charity charity like rspca we are able to really cater for each individual cat, placing them in the rescue and into suitable foster homes while pending adoption. We have the time to be thourough about who we adopt to and dont rush applications just to make room for new cats coming in. We charge £60 adoption fee which covers vaccination, neutering, and micro chip. Obv in that sense the rescue doesnt really make money, and when fostering i pay for all my own litter and food. If it wernt for us genuinley volunteering, unlike the rspca who do use adoption fees for wages ect :neutral: then these cats would be put to sleep :cry:

This is Marley and Moon who are in residence at the moment and are vailable for adoption by the way :wink:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:41 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

wow how old were these cats? £300 each? At a rescue?! :eek:

The rspca near me also wont accept bengals as they are 'too nasty and vicious'. Infact I was turned down by the rspca to rehomed a kitten some years ago now, as I wanted to keep him indoors, at this point I was in a apartment, the lady I called was very snotty and said that the kittens had already 'had a taste of the outside world' they were 6 weeks old :eek: and that they must have access to the outside, I didnt live near a busy road but I said to her 'oh say I lived near a road' she said 'they you cant adopt with that either' ?!?!

I thought they seriously needed homes?! Yet all these things in the way!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:02 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:01 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:08 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:55 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:06 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:28 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

They get the cats for free obv cus no one wants them...then obv sell them to make back the money they have spent on food, litter, vaccs, neutering.....

ok obv there are cases where they are blatently overcharging but i think it pretty obv why they need to try sell cats for a profit lol. I must say the RSPCA in notts and derbyshire are excellent and run by lovely people x