It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:42 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Unhappy Moggie
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:49 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi there, looking for some advice from you pros,

On Saturday I will have had Lubo home for a week. My moggie is aware he is around albeit not willing to be officially 'introduced'. She's taken to hissing, spitting and generally being a nightmare. She has always spent a lot of time outdoors but that's increased too. I've got visions of her at the end of my street with her hankie tied to a stick trying to hitch a lift somewhere :(

I know its very early days but I am a wee bit concerned. Any advice on how to proceed over the forthcoming weeks given I will have another bengal baby in 5 weeks time?

Much appreciated.

Post subject: Unhappy moggie
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:58 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi

Does your moggie play? Does she chase things? If so start a game and try to get them both playing.
I would also try and feed them in the same room. Different bowls and gradually get them nearer to each other. Put up with the hissing and spitting, that is quite normal but supervise them as you don't want anyone hurt, especially the kitten. If you have a kitten/puppy crate then you can put the kitten in the cage for a while and leave them to it. That way the kitten will definitely not get hurt, though in my experience although there is a lot of noise, most adults will tolerate a kitten better than a fully grown cat.
Don't scold your moggie too much, as she is the one whose life has just been turned upside down by 'the invader'. Try to keep her confidence up. Keep calm, as if you are stressed, she will sense it and any fears she has will be heightened.

I personally would not allow your moggie to go out more than usual as she is just evading the issue and may as you say not come back. :(

Some cats after the initial confrontation stage get on famously, others may never be friends. My moggies all get on fine 99% of the time but there are always fights at times.

Do you plan to let your Bengal outside? If so there may be different rules out there, with your own and neighbouring cats.

Hopefully you will have sorted things out by the time the new kitten comes along, so that you can start the same process all over again, with three cats instead of two :)

Good luck,

Elsa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:51 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Elsa

Thanks for your advice. Stitch (my moggie) is not interested at all in playing at the moment however I did keep her in tonight when she came for her last feed (this is what we would normally do) and also fed Lubo near her. As you can imagine lots of hissing and spitting and even growling (she sounded like something of the exorcist!) :roll: .

However that said Lubo did not mind to much (even when she gave him a warning swipe). Its the closest we have managed to get them so far and it at least felt good to have achieved that! :)

As I type Lubo is in his room and Stitch is sitting at the patio doors glaring - seems like a good idea to keep this up though. Thanks again.

Post subject: Unhappy moggie
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:35 pm 
Senior Bengal

Hi again Linda!
I have to say I've been there, done that and got the T-Shirt :lol: I had my first bengal last april. My non-pedigree cat, is a large ginger and white girl. She was outraged too. She also started to spend more time outside. As Elsa just said, feeding together helps, and did break the ice between them. But , really it just took a bit of time. I did use something called 'Feliway' spray and a Feliway diffuser. This is like an air freshener you would plug in, but only cats can smell it. It neutralises the smell of other cats, so your resident moggie wont be so upset by another cat in her /his territory. The diffuser is less expensive than the spray, and for us it worked, eventually :) I still have one. I got a second bengal kitten a few months later and she was a lot better.

Sandy is now 13, and I have a 15 month old bengal, and the new kitten, and although she growls still abit, she lets Rose rub her nose to say hello :lol: Rose has been here 3 weeks so far.

So dont worry, sometimes though its best to keep them in when they keep going out to sulk.

Julie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:58 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thanks for the responses to this.

Fed them together again this morning and all was going well (well maybe a few glares from Stitch :) ) when Lubo decided that his own breakfast was not enough. Of course Stitch fired of a warning shot. He then sneaked around her and nipped her tail :roll:. Seems like this boy is going to learn that hard way............the female of the species is much deadlier than the male :lol: .

Think you are right about it being a waiting game. Hopefully Lubo won't feel the need to keep running to his room in another months time as I will need this for wee Lenny by then. Do you think I'll have the same problems introducing Lubo to Lenny? They both come from the same breeder and were in her home at the same time albeit from different litters. I'm hoping these 2 chum up fairly quickly both to keep Lubo occupied and also I don't think I could cope with having to keep all three seperated for an extended time !!!!!