It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:49 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: BATHING
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:27 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi all,
How do you get your bengals used to water?
i have decided to show diego, but if he's anything like Tia he won't like getting wet, making bathing quite a challenge. Are there any tricks, in
getting them wet without getting SCRATCHED!
Any tips will be very much appriciated.

best wishes
Nikki
:D

Post subject: re bathing
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:47 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

i personally let the bath tap drip quite rapidlywith out the plug in and filthy loves the droplets as she tries to catch them,i have been doing this with her since i got her at 13 weeks and is 5 months old.she loves the water now and would not think twice about jumping in to my bath when its full! i wouldnt leave her on her own though! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:23 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Nikki

I've only had Lubo a few days as you know but my breeder suggested putting down a fairly shallow tub of water and floating ping pong balls in it. He loves it, especially when I swirl the water round and the balls go all over the place!!! :D This makes it fun for him whilst at the same time it is getting him used to the water. Getting brave already and jumping onto the side of the bath when I am in the shower. He squeals like a big girl when he is sitting watching and I'm waiting on him taking the plunge any day now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:42 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Linda --
Hope you've already started some of the "tub games" as have been suggested, here.
I have TWO boy Bengals who absolutely LOVE the water -- and my three girls aren't AS fond of it - but still do MUCH better in water than my DSH rescue cats.

You MUST go look at my blogspot. The cat's "Birthday Party" last weekend was a "fishing in the tub" party. I've got some pretty amazing photos of my boys playing in the water, one of the girls, "hovering" around the edges of the tub, almost standing on her head to reach the "toys" and even got my rescues interested :)

http://fancidots.blogspot.com/

Good luck. Once they LOVE it -- it's hard to keep them OUT of it (fair warning)

LaVon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:44 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Fancidots

Had a peek at your site - your cats are gorgeous and there are so many of them!

Are those real fish in the bath????? :? Looks like they had lots of fun, I'm definitely going to try putting Lubo's toys in the bath.

I've got another baby who will be with me in 5 weeks time - he's a wee marble and we are going to call him 'Lenny' (Lennon). My friends and family all think I've lost the plot. Three cats (including my moggy who is not too happy at the moment) but thats nothing compared to your 'pride'!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:05 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thanks Linda -- I'm very proud of my "pride" of cats. I have had cats for over 25 years, now. My first cat was a "kitten" I got from a friend at work for my son. And, for a few years, we only had one cat. We eventually got a "second" and learned how much they enjoy each other's company, so I've always had at least 2 or 3 cats, since then.

I got very involved in "rescue" and "fostering" over the years, and several of the cats who spent their lives with me and my son were rescues which were considered "un-adoptable" for one reason or another.

THEN I fell in love with the Bengal Breed. I decided to "give myself a gift" of ONE Bengal - for all the years I've worked with cats with disabilities and other issues which caused them to be classified as un-adoptable. Sort of "my treat - to myself".

I had INTENDED to only get ONE - but a breeder made me a deal I couldn't turn down on 7 month old sisters who were very bonded to one another. They fit well into my household, and really brought not only beauty, but a lot of ENERGY into our lives.

A few months later, I purchased a "show" boy (Dagger) and his breeder convinced me to take his sibling sister, who was a little shy and not marked as nicely as Dagger is. (Emma) As she matured, she has turned into quite a lovely girl. She is no longer "shy" and is very clever and entertaining.

Then my long time "favorite" cat, a big orange and white tabby (Sasquatch) passed away on Valentine's day, last year from complications from HCM. (He was almost 15 years old - and had given both me and my son many years of companionship and love.)

A wonderful breeder in Washington state heard me talking about losing my dear friend, and said they knew another breeder who had the perfect "boy" for me. He is an F1 Bengal, and LOVES the other cats, and is VERY people oriented... and is a very intense "mama's boy" -- and she was right -- he DOES fit perfectly into our lives.

We have 10 cats, in all. Five are Bengals, and the other 5 are DSH rescue kitties ranging in age from 11 years to 1 year.

Sometimes it is a LOT of work... but ALWAYS worth every effort -- they bring me so much JOY.

LaVon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:08 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Im so envious! Up unitil now I had only managed to persuade my partner and daughter (she is 17) into having one cat (my wee moggie). However they agreed I could bring home a bengal and before they could blink not only did I have Lubo home but have also reserved a wee marble (Lenny) from my breeder - he comes home in 4 weeks!

Guess it will be a while before I can convince them to let me have any more! :lol: But if you have any convincing reasons please let me know and I can use them later...................

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:03 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi to all,
i just thought i would update you on the bathing, iv'e tried toys in the bath etc..... and Tia still won't get more than her paws wet :? i'll just keep encouraging her and maybe one day she'll take the plunge.

regards
Nikki :D