[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Home Cheetah
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Home Cheetah
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:07 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Am I alone in finding this news article very sad?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... d-pet.html

Post subject: Re: Home Cheetah
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:12 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:40 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

i dont find it that sad :| .....i guess just being that cheetahs are endangered......and it looks like this cat gets along with everyone in the family including all there pets....atleast it seems this cheetah has a good life....i seen on animal planet this one couple who lived with a buffalo in there house :roll: nothing surprises me to much.....but its also just a matter of time before the cheetah acts out and hurts someone then ofcorse they will end up killing the poor cheetah....like its his fault.....( hopefully he doesnt but then again you always read stories about people keeping wild animals and they turn on them)

things i find sad are animal abuse stories...those break my heart.... :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:13 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

One day, that big cat will turn and it will be 'oh i dunno why'....she's a wild creature and her instincts will kick in sooner or later. Poor kitty I say, she's not out there living her life, not able to have cubs or hunt.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:15 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:25 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

im obsessed with animal planet and they have this show called fatal encounters i think it is....and its when dumb people own wild animals....and ofcorse they turn on them and the poor animal is put down....for instance this one lady owned a lion and kept it in a cage most of the time...and didnt have enough money to feed it :shock: ...sooo she opens the cage one day...and lets just say the lion ate....it was sad cause this ladies son had to find his mother mauled/eaten by this animal.....but i mean if you cant take care of something properly then let it go to the zoo or something..... i mean a wild animal is a wild animal and so many people now days think they can change that and some may have had success stories but most of it ends badly... :?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:43 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I have no problem with people owning wild animals provided they can be taken care of to meet the animal's needs -- most of the time this means a LARGE, LARGE enclosure... they aren't pets -- you can keep them, and raise them, but there's an important distinction that needs to be made. I know a lot of people that keep every manner of exotics, from bears to big cats. The bears are very happy, very well taken care, well fed, everything well done... but they stay in their very very large enclosure (comparable to what a good zoo would have). They aren't animals to curl up with and watch a movie.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:34 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:50 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I volunteered at an animal sanctuary in S.africa for 6 weeks, a long time ago. They had 2 cheetahs walking around within the sanctuary's walls. They had their own enclosure but were let out to roam. We were told never to approach them, let them approach you and when they do, don't make eye contact but once they had made their friendly welcome and accepted you in their space, then anything could happen from a playful game of football (usually the big cats would grab the ball, run off and chew it) or they would come up for a cuddle. I was sitting down at sunset with a group of people and the male cheetah came up to us and laid himself across the 4 of us. Of course we had to let it happen, sudden movements weren't the best idea :lol: But it was all on the cat's terms.

The lions on the other hand, a lot more rough and could cause damage even when they didn't mean too.

You were taught that if anything happened it was never the animals fault, that we were in their home and that you had to always be aware of any signs that they were not happy. Of course you're told 'not to run'........basically, you'd be buggered if anything happened but someone was always around with a dart gun, just 'incase'.

They never had a fatality, although one volunteer did experience a bad bite, had to have 10 stitches in his arm but he was play fighting with a young male lion who was about 8 months old, lion got a little carried away and bit down.

They are pretty to look at, amazing creatures but personally, they should never be treated as a pet. All the above animals were raised from cubs with humans, their older cats that were not raised from cubs, always stayed in their enclosures.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:36 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:26 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I was single, no kids and had a lot of leave to take from work :lol: but it is something to really experience. Although I had to pay (at the time) £250 per week and my own flight but they gave you the accom. and food. You could do it for free but you would have to pay for your own accommodation and the nearest hotel was around 10 miles away, which would mean hiring a car, so it's cheaper to pay their rates.

I've seen people moan about paying but if you think about it, they are paying for you to use their facilities (elec/gas/water) and most are charity run, so not alot of money coming in. All monies collected goes towards the animals and pays the perm. staff, it's peanuts but it's something.

I'd go again if I could put I just can't afford it. I'd love to go out to Louisiana and volunteer at tia torres villalobos place (pitballs & parolees) but again, money is an issue and the kids too.

Never grow up!! never ever lol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:56 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:14 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Tia couldn't stay in california, she tried getting another place but locals petitioned against her. So at the end of series 3, she moves to Louisiana, due to their large pitbull issue and i think a place down in new mexico as a shelter for pitbulls that can't be rehomed.

I follow them on fb and twitter, they've had problems due to Isaac, ripped up the shelters, all dogs survived though. Series 4 starts next month. You can watch it online via www.watchseries.eu

She has volunteer programs, might be worth looking into if you fancied dipping into volunteering?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:38 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

im glad all dogs survied i always worry about that everytime a storm hits...i always hear of ppl chaining there poor dogs down in backyard then the water rises & they drown...people are soo ignorant! but anway i will have to watch the show it sounds good :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:17 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I think it is a sad story, while some might be quite unfortunate in that they were abandoned by their mothers and were taken in by families, they don't realise in the end they're wild animals and aren't domestic enough to remain that way over time. I watched this film not that long ago documenting psychology research in the 70s from this scientist who wanted to know whether a primate (can't remember which kind) can be taught human behaviour. After some unfortunate events, the poor guy was finally rescued and taken to an animal sanctuary, but by this time he was quite angry with humans. When his adoptive human mother thought 'I'm safe with him, he'll remember me', she did the stupidest thing of entering his enclosure even though he was pacing around and did not look happy. He did end up attacking her, but stopped after a while.

Some people like having 'exotic' pets so they can show them off, but they forget that even though they have all these learned 'domestic' behaviours, their natural instincts kick in when they're in danger, no matter how they're brought up. It might be different in S. Africa because they're surrounded by lots of wild animals, but it doesn't mean you should bring one home and treat it like a big domestic cat!