[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Going camping with your furkids
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:00 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:01 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

can anybody share their experience of going camping (whether in the cabins/wigwams/tents) with their furkids? OH is keen to bring Tigger and Nala with us the next time we go camping. My main question is, how are they around other families with dogs?

We're looking at places now which will allow us to bring our two with us, any suggestions within the Lothians area of Scotland where pets are allowed in the cabins/pods/wigwams would be much appreciated too if anybody has any to offer. Tesco's had a good deal on a 2-person tent that we'd be looking at if we can't bring our two into the cabins.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:24 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Noticed no-one has responded to your thread.
I have no experience but there have been quite a few threads about camping, have a look through the gallery page.
Viperkeeper has posted about his camping ... viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16212&p=191270&hilit=camping#p191270

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:50 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Sorry.. This is a long one. While we are VERY new to this, I've become pretty passionate about it.:)

I am not familiar with the places you are talking about going but maybe I will someday! :) Currently we are tent camping. I would LOVE to take him yert camping (like a wigwam I think?) and we may do that when the temp starts dropping a bit. I would think that would be easier to do with them than tent camping as its more like home. We stayed at a motel at the beach with Max that had grounds like a resort or park (many dogs but TIGHT fines for off leash violations so made it a lot safer for him). It was an easy transition. All he needed were his home base supplies (essential for any extended outing: litterbox, something that smells like you/home &/or cat bed from home, scratcher, favorite toy(s) & water...of course food, but you dont want that out during settle in time). I'm afraid we don't have lots of dog experience but I can share what we have done. It is always a concern, just as it is on walks. There aren't many dogs where we go in the woods thankfully. For populated camping.... Find places with off leash fines. Campers hate fines! That way at least the dogs should be more controlled.

(want pics? Menagerie of Max Marvelous- gallery) :wink:

Here's how we got started...
We got Max used to the tent and basic camp gear in our backyard one full day before going to the woods. He was out there for set up and take down too so it didn't scare him. We played and napped in the tent.

Next we took him on a day trip to the woods where we did everything we would do on a camping trip except sleep over. We had the tent, grill, cooler etc. That way we could see how he did with most of the aspects and get him used to them before adding the stress of sleeping in a tent in the woods overnight.

It was all so different from our usual routine we didnt want too many surprizes for him. We expected the woods would provide plenty. We wanted to let him take it one step at a time and make sure he enjoyed it. Adding things slowly has seemed to work well and keep him happy, challenged, learning and having fun while trying to keep his stress level to a minimum. (ours may be another story)Each step of introduction has stressed me out before we do it but he met each challenge and has exceeded my expectations so far. This makes it lots of fun and reminds me not to put limits on what I think he can/cannot handle or do and instead just figure out how to expose him to new adventures safely and see if he likes it!

I like to have an exit strategy for all of our outings. While we haven't needed it yet, it's been good to have a back up plan if it's too much for him IMO. Even the motel. Less pressure that way and easier to go one step at a time, his steps may not always be the size we expect. Its all about his pace right now (may always be). We consider our trips with him right now his training. It is more work than it probably needs to be, more exhausting, intense, crazy, but more rewarding than I ever imagined as well. These trips are not a vacation yet, we have to train him what vacation is first! :) still loads of fun though.

We camp at very primitive campgrounds or just in the national forest but not an actual campground (yet?) so we rarely see people or dogs. When we dealt with dogs at the beach we followed what you do in the city! :) Only addition really is that in the woods I carry a small thing of mace when out where dogs may be off leash/ out of control and for wild animals- bought & carried at OH's insistence. He also got bear spray for our woods camping in case of wild animals (it keeps them at a farther distance than the mace). I hope I never have to use either!

I also have a little reusable shopping bag (called a chico bag) that Max really loves to get in and ride around in. (discovered by accident). It has a clip that can go on a belt loop or something and stuffs down very small into its own case. Easy to wear when walking him and have ready. It can even just be wadded up in my pocket ready to use. We have had him jump in there if he's been spooked before. (after using it at home first.) a collapsible carrier may work for this purpose. It's too bulky for us and he won't use it if it's closed. I just ordered a pet sling I am hoping to train him to use for this purpose and also because sometimes I have difficulty holding/carrying him if my joints are bad. I'm not sure how it will go but I hope it works so I can still walk him on rougher days. Anyway.... It seems something for him to "find cover" in helps if he's spooked. Even the tunnel made under/ between your legs when you squat down works for him to duck into and feel safer in but that wouldn't work if I'm alone with him and a dog. Need OH to deal with the dog. :(

Other small animals have been FUN for Max but just like in the city, the human must be vigilant at all times. Even the chipmunks and birds are more brave out there and will actually go after Max instead of just running. I don't know what those critters could do or be exposed to so when they get too close I step in. They still run from humans. For the big bad critters who don't, I have the pepper spray for self defense. (never used....thankfully) I'd be interested in alternative solutions and am hoping someone may have ideas, especially since I think there's no mace allowed in the UK anyway?

For us, supervision is essential. We are thinking about adding a homing tag like Viperkeeper uses to his gear just in case he slipped away somehow. We just ordered a new walking jacket (HHC!)with reflective stripes to increase his visibility in the woods and so he is wearing hunter orange and won't be mistaken for a wild animal. For our overnight trip (& nightwalks) we added little night lights used to walk dogs (Viperkeeper tip) to his collar and harness d ring. This was essential or he would have disappeared from our vision! We could also see what he was getting into because the one on his collar lit up in front of him. We used a red one as it doesn't interfere with vision as much (another VK tip). In the tent we used some glow sticks in the pockets so it was like a night light. That way we could check on him and he could easily see us. Maybe more comforting? I will continue the glow sticks for sure. Maybe I want the nightlight. :wink:

So far for us it seems.... the more elements of the adventure that are new, the slower you should go. The more like home & normal routine, the easier and faster the transition. Gradual introductions with lots of fuss and their favorite things would probably help a lot. It does with Max. Just like with walking them, stay in tune to what they love and what's freaking them out. Help them focus on the fun so the other is less scary or teach/train how to be safe around the scary then distract with fun. Max has a "flying squirrel" string toy he loves. (First toy we ever bought him.) We keep it on us so when he's out there we can pull it out if needed for distraction, reassurance, or redirection. Works wonders to get him to go where you want if he's choosing not to come along. :roll

We use a 4 person tent for the two of us and Max. That leaves plenty of room for all his essentials and ours. Two person would be tight especially with litter paws. We don't leave Max in the tent without someone in earshot at camp just in case. I'd be scared he'd get the tent open or something could rip it open trying to get to him. I'm a bit overprotective too though.... Or so I'm told. :wink: We had thought about using a screen room camping so Max had a kitty safe house. He prefers to be with us so we use the tent if needed. It has screen panels all the way around so he can get good visibiltty. Our vehicle can be turned into a Kitty Cabin in case of emergency though. There is someone online that made a big cage using dog crate panels so her cat could camp with them and they could hike without her. Not my cup of tea but I can try and find it if you are interested.

Sorry I don't have more dog experience but I hope this is helpful. Maybe inspire some tent time? :) Happy to share more if it helps. We're still in training so I hope the forum pros chime in! :) We wouldnt be this far along without that advice! ( Kitty Kamping 101!)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:43 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:24 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Awwww! Love the pic! That's exactly what Max does in the Chico bag! :) (rei.com or http://www.chicobag.com/product/vita-so ... -dandelion is the one I have) so far he's not into riding in it with anyone else. I'll have to try and get OH to catch a pic for ya! ;) I like it because it kind of slings to his body and he's pretty snug but I will let you know how we do with the real pet sling. This may take a bit longer for training! ;)

Your plan sounds great and like a lot of fun! What do they think of the beach? I think the wigwam is an ideal first trip and I can't wait to hear about it (& see pics!). Having a secure retreat if the dogs or anything else are a hassle (especially if Nala is a little more sensitive) will make it easier to help them rebound if something does upset them IMO. It will also be nice since that added security can help you and OH have a more of vacation too! 8) I'm so excited for you!

I like the lights you posted. We had some similar bone shaped flashing red ones but when they came they were much larger than expected. :roll: The dimensions did not include the clasp length! He hates them and does the lead vest / cant move thing if they are on him. Funny since he never did that with any harness! :roll: of course we couldnt try just one. Hehe. We like the size and weight of the "Nite Ize PetLit LED Collar Light White LED - Paw Green" best for him, especially on his d ring. Very small and this paw green actually lit him up pretty well. A little more expensive but so far its been the main one we go to. You can change the battery too so that makes it last longer. We used a red spoke light from the same company attached to his collar but my intention is to use a safety pin or somehow attach it temporarily to the front of his jacket instead. May be an idea for yours since they don't wear collars. Viperkeeper posted a link for mini keychain flashlights he modified for those purposes in one of the camp threads (101?). We may try those too. Size looks good but not sure about making modifications personally. They are priced much better than actual pet lights too.

I can't wait for his new jacket to get here. We just ordered it Monday! I'm such a dork with this cat! :) will let you know how it works out. I am also looking forward to having 2 jackets around for him. He loves to swim/play in water so much it will be good to be able to change him if needed. Temp can change quite a bit out there and those streams can be cold too. Max is a big lazy lump in the heat so a lighter jacket was also needed for us. Think I may have seen a pic of yours in the park using legs for shade? So cute! Does Tigger overheat from his jacket or is it cooer than it looks? (love that jacket)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:51 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:15 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Viperkeeper....
That's just mean..... Don't leave me hanging like that! :D :lol:
So glad you finally jumped in here. Was getting a little worried. :wink:
Think I may know what's coming..... And don't think I'll be mad if it's what I think.... Just pretty jealous! ;)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:57 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

ViperKeeper, please don't keep us in suspense! I didn't check the messages until just now, so after I read RabbitREW's message, I went and got 2 of these :oops:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280779056320? ... 97.c0.m619

for Tigger, he's not too bothered about things making a noise (for Christmas, we bought a mesh elf collar with bells, it bothered Nala but Tigger was just curious and kept stopping every few steps to try and figure out where the noise was coming from :lol: ) but we're thinking for Nala, it might bother her so we'll need to attach it to the clip that clips onto the D-ring. When they're out, they won't be going out without their leads anyway, so when they arrive, we'll have them attached so they can start getting used to them.

thanks for reminding me about the scratching things! We have a cardboard scratching tray we can bring and if necessary, we'll bring the small scratching tree we bought when Tigger was a kitten, Nala still uses it. We've also got a small carpet like scratch mat, but it doesn't really stay still and I've had to anchor it under the chest in my room so it doesn't fly around the room. We'll bring an airtight container of their dry biscuits and we have chicken pouches and fish tins so we're sorted for their meals. We'll only really be away for 3 days and 2 nights so it won't be too long away and we can judge how they get on in that time without stressing them out too much with being in an unfamiliar place. We will be staying in a wigwam which will be quite exciting :P

Nala's never been to the beach part of Cramond, she ended up exploring the water and watching the ducks, but the beach part was further away so we didn't go, but she did enjoy strolling through the shaded path under the trees and rock climbing, making me climb up a really steep big rock trying to get her down :roll: Tigger loves the beach and sees it as one big litter tray :oops: he actually crouched down to do his business, until a dog came running over and in a panic, OH picked him up and he just looked around as if 'what did you do that for?'

Yes, I do have a picture of our kitties relaxing on the grass with us at Cramond, watching people at the cafe just opposite where we were sitting, also the people were watching the kitties too thinking 'are those CATS ON LEADS???' We also get those looks when they stare at people in their cars from the back passenger windows at a red light :lol: attached some photos for you guys to enjoy!

what's that? :?

people watching...or stalking?

human shades against the sun

kitty rock climbing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:05 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'm working on it now. It'll be Kitty Kamping 101. Is one of your cats wearing a car seat?????

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:27 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Ooooh I'll be sure to check the forum again in the morning (it's 11:25pm here) to check for an update of Kitty Kamping 101!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: how did you know??? I didn't think anybody would realise except think it's a very sophisticated walking jacket! Yes, in fact Tigger is wearing a custom made jacket from Happy House Cats at my OH's request. He supplied excess fabric from his 1983 Porsche 944, he was really keen to get Tigger a jacket made from it. If he had his way, he'd get one made for Nala too, but I put my foot down and got her a pink camo jacket (as you can see in the photos) and a pink lead :P don't tell me you're a car fanatic?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:33 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:58 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

:lol: :lol: :lol: I saw the car pictures and your furry head mechanic, you lost me with all the car specifics in between :oops: my OH is the classic Porsche fanatic, I have no clue whatsoever on how to restore a car! I see you've posted the thread on Kitty Kamping 101! Am going to do some leisure reading!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:35 am 
Senior Bengal

Your head mechanic is quite adorable!

My OH and I have turned into mpg junkies after we discovered the hidden powers of Geo Metros! :) ... Secretly I would prefer a 99-04 style Jetta but the mpg has go us hooked on metros!

Right now we are driving a 91 geo metro xfi that gets a steady 70mpg generously, can't argue with that! All of the unnecessary weight has been removed, so it is definitely not a car of luxury! Our infrequent, inexpensive trips to the gas station have won our hearts, and we have a serious economic crisis (or so it seems) if we drive any other car.

For comparison, we once took a boat out on the lake, using a truck to get it back and fourth to the launch. The short trip from the house to the launch and back (maybe a 20 min drive) cost more than an entire fill up on our geo (mind you a tank will take us about 650 miles!) We also took a road trip out to Pennsylvania, winding our way around in Ohio and Pennsylvania and back to Wisconsin. The geo did fine in the Pennsylvania hills and the entire trip only cost us $125 in fuel (premium since we had an incident with bad gas!)

Definitely off-topic, but I thought I would share. People who see us driving are always so interested in why we are driving a "piece of crap" .... that is until they hear how much (or should I say how little) we pay for gas!