It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:24 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:06 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'm no expert so everyone's help and input is appreciated. Please feel free to ask questions I'll do he best I can to help.

I'll be adding more tutorials to this thread but lets start simple and post a photo. I don't think its possible to directly upload to the forum without a computer.

I'll be using my Android tablet so anyone with an Apple iOS device please contribute.

If you want to support me email me at viperkeeper@gmail.com I'll send you a request to join DropBox. Its a free cloud storage service. Every person I invite gets me 500mb additional storage. Pouncey and I could use your help. The link to my DB account is in my signature you can view our pics in high Res.

Ok the apps I use

Reduce Photo Size there's other choices but this one is the simplest.
ImageshackDroid it isn't the greatest but it works.
Set up an account for Imageshack at http://imageshack.us/
Photobucket Mobile is probably better but until yesterday's update didn't look right on tablets. If your primarily using a phone for your camera you can set PB up to upload every photo you take. A warning on Photobucket I'm aware of ways to hack accounts so don't use it for "personal" photos. If using Apple I think PB is your only choice right now sorry. You can setup your account in the app.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:39 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Lets get started
Chose an image in the gallery and select it.
Select share in the top right and send it to the Reduce Photo App
Select Reduce in the app
Personally I pick VGA (640x480) so it doesn't take long for the page to load.
Then share the image to the imageshack app
It will upload to your online account
Once its upload select the history tab and then your photo its at the bottom of the list.
This screen is the different types of links I chose the "forum" link and hit copy. Its the third link down.
Now go into your post long press and paste the link you won't see a picture but text. Hit preview to see the picture before submit.
This is what this post looks like before submit.

I'll do one for PhotoBucket next

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:10 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

For Photobucket (Apple iOS) I select and reduce the picture first before you upload just like imageshack.
But when you share to Photobucket it uploads but doesn't open the app. So you need to find it in your app drawer or home screen.
Once the app is open select "my album"
Chose the photo on the screen hit your menu "soft key" and select view links.
Touch the "IMG" link it will copy it. Then long press and paste into your post, preview first then submit :D

I'll do a signature next.....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:04 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Signature, I'm not artistic and I don't know how or have the patients to do some of the signatures on here. I'll be doing a simple signature for another forum member on here. So not my cats.

App I use is PicsArt sorry its Android only but Apple has Photopal, photo editor+, BeFunky photo editor and photowizard. I haven't used any of them so good luck.
Open the app select "collage" then "custom"
I chose FB Cover (851x315) this is the closet to our max of 800x200 and select a template you like.
Touch a square to add a photo
Once you're chosen the image you can crop or just skip to add the photo you can change things later if you like
After there added you can use the sliders to change borders and colors I like Black. The hit the green check mark to move on.
This is were we can get fancy I'm not going to go into it but text, special effects etc I'll give some examples.
Once you have it how you want it hit the floppy disk icon to save it.
Now hit the share symbol next to it and send it to the Reduce Photo app.
We can't exceed 800x200 our best choice is 480x177.
I'm a perfectionist so I chose custom and by lowering the first number slowly I got to 540x199.
Now save your hard work and use your favorite image host to generate a link to add to your profile page signature section :mrgreen:

Just for fun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:11 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Any questions I'll try to help.

Anyone know how to do an avatar without a computer?
How about support for .gif files?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:31 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

DropBox, I love DB its a cloud(online) file storage service. What makes it unique is it syncs to all your devices so if I take a picture on my phone its actually on the Hard Drive of my computer when I get home, or my tablet. If everything I own burns to the ground I can still retrieve everything from the cloud (online). I use it for many other things besides photos like music, backups and important files many other apps are compatible with DB and automatically save backups to it. I'll be focusing on the video/photo use but it has other uses. Even if you only have a computer its great and so easy to use, its just a folder and works like any other folder but saves everything.
You can also share files and folders so if you want to email a video or alot of high Res photos and it exceeds what your email will allow you just send a link. Its a must have for anyone on any platform!
Visit https://www.dropbox.com/ a free account is 2gb but they offer incentives to increase that. One of which is inviting people its 500mb per person up to 16gb so PLEASE help me by letting me invite you email me @ viperkeeper@gmail.com !

The DB app is pretty straight forward just select the pic(s) from your gallery you want saved and click share then DB.
In the app itself you can long press a file or folder to generate a share link, rename etc.
Unlike on a computer it doesn't actually save the file to your devices memory. If you add a pic on your computer you will see it on your device but its not stored on the phone. You can select a file but not a folder and export it to your SD card.
There's an app to automatically sync folders to your phone called Dropsync. I personally don't use it because it'd probably fill my account with stupid photos or if I messed something up on my phone it'd delete it from DB. But many people like it. It makes DB work exactly like it does on a computer.
Personally I like more control. I want to be able to move files between folders in DB like "temp pics" to my "best of"(link in sig below). Or I may want to select several files or folders and add them to my SD card. The app I use is ES File Explorer.
I'm not going to go through how to use the app but select "Net" and "New" to add your DB account.
once its set up you can move things around in between folders. You can go from DB to SD card or inside DB itself much like you would on a computer.

Enjoy :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:14 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

im fixing to try it....im not good with all that but i will follow so i can have more than one image in my signature...this could take me a while :roll:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:17 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'm here to help just ask or PM.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:48 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Yay, it worked. Thank you very much : )

Good luck with the granny next door ; )

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:30 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

iPad assist..... (@ OPs request)

Resizing pics on iPad:
(sorry- dont know how to do the cool screen shots)
I used ever clipper on my iPad, resized (chose option closest to 640x480)and saved. It saves to your camera roll in your photos. The help section in the app helped me figure out which icon was crop vs. Resize. It is an app primarily for iPhones so you either use it small or blown up on the iPad.

Posting said resized pics from photobucket to forum:
Then I upload it to the photobucket app from there. With the picture you want to post open, use the icon that looks like chain links to find the links availiable. If you select the IMG link from that list in photobucket it will copy the link to your clipboard. Then paste link directly into your post. the IMG link posts the picture directly, as is into your post.

Tip: I don't want the duplicate resized pics to end up in my iPhoto albums as smaller duplicates so I delete them from my camera roll (resized image only) after uploading to photobucket. I find myself with too maNy duplicates anyway! :roll: :lol:

Hope this helps! I just learned. :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:40 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thanks for cotrabootn :D
This app is primarily for uploading to EverNote (great app) it just seemed simple, but just about any photo editing app should resize.

PicArt (Android)the app I used to make the signature can resize but it much simpler to use Reduce Photo Size if all I want to do is post a pic.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:23 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Another tip:

Sometimes I post random pix from a Google image search. Even if their 648x480 or smaller I still run them through a photo editor to save or share them. This way there're always the same file type as sometimes I get errors uploading.