[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - I'm thinking of getting my sister a Toyger...
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:16 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:52 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi everyone,

Hope you all are well, Achilles, Khafre and Apollo are getting on absolutely great at the minute. Had some really bad weather on Thursday, thunder, lightning and ALOT of rain...they experienced their first thunder storm and didn't like it at all bless them. So i'm looking for some advice really. My sister has been brought up with cats like me (our family are very much cat lovers) and a year ago had a fur baby of her own but unfortunately Missy (black moggy) passed away due to old age :(:(:(:(. She is now ready for a fresh start but is not confident enough for a bengal, but wants something a little more exotic looking. She will not be looking to show, breed (obviously as she hasn't the experience!). She just wants the company! She has had a look around and likes the idea of a Toyger, for looks, personality and temperament (I have helped her to research as best as I can with this), and I was wondering if any of you have any experience with Toyger's, and any advice you can give me? I only know what I myself have researched about the breed and understand that they are very much just "designer cats" (I hated seeing this on a website, makes them sound just like a fad or a craze!). Obviously I haven't advised her for this yet and I wanted all the information possible. So please all be honest with me to help me advise as best as I can!

Thanks all and I hope you and your fur babies are all well! :)

Mia x

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:14 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I really dont think there is anything more exoctic looking than a Bengal! Some Toygers have the exoctic look but most that I have seen look like a tabby cat! I know that they are rather expensive as well if you want a good quality Toyger! Has she considered an EG Savannah?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:17 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hey bkgilore! How's BB? The whole temperament of a bengal wouldn't suit her. Savannah's tend to get quite big don't they? She really isn't the type for a bengal if you see what I mean. Wheras what i've heard of Toygers, they tend to be sooo laid bag and very much ust like a normal domestic cat. And she loves the look of a Toyger, she mentioned it herself you see!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:06 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hello! BB is doing great she is growing like crazy!! Thanks for asking! I have been aroung Savannahs's and they are amazing! I have been aroung F1's and F5's ! The F1 can be a big cat well they are tall cats but the domestic past an F4 just like bengals are great cats they are the same size as a bengal but they do loose that exoctic look the later the generation! I was just putting it out there ! Savannah are a high energy cat but I dont think they are anywhere compared to a Bengal! I honestly dont know much about the Toyger other than hearing from other people that they are really hard to get the really pretty TIGER look that most people are looking for! They are breed from a wide variety of different domestic breeds so I have heard that it is hard to get a consistant look with the breed! Although I have to say that I love the Toyger but only certain ones. How do they compare in energy to a bengal?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:33 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I have been doing some reading and basically came up with this! The Toyger is actually genetically the same as the Bengal! Both breeds started with the ALC and domestic cat where with the Bengal was paired with domestic cats that give us the rosettes and other beautiful traits of the ALC whereas the Toyger was breed with other domestic cats that were aiming more for the tabby lines! really the lines on the Toyger are in fact elongated rosettes! The Toyger breed is in its infancy and its personality is much like the Bengal!!! Thought that was interesting I actually found a breeder and chatted with her about it and there were some amazing cats on there but HONESTLY they look like Bengals! I think its weird! She did go on to say that Toygers are more laid back and more willing to be handled than a Bengal but their coats are the same they have glitter pelts and basically are stripped bengals!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:47 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Ive always wanted a savannah myself but the OH is not so keen lol! I knew that toygers had SOME bengal in them but not that much! I really dont know of them and thank you for taking the time to look into them and letting me know! Ive thought about maine coons but my sister had a long haired cat before and had a bad experience with grooming as missy HATED it and would scratch her up to high heaven! I have an egyptian mau who is so loving and laid back but my sister is just so stubborn and wants stripes!! Shes being very difficult and not open to a lot of my ideas! I have seen a toyger breeder in the uk whose kittens look amazing, though i am just so unsure as i dont know enough anout them and was wondering if anyone on here has one or knows of anyone who does

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:12 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I have found a couple of breeders that have good looking kitten and the parents have the face that looks very much like a Tiger! They are beautiful cats if you find the right breeder! The only thing that concerns me about the breed is the fact that the breed itsself is in its infacy so you really dont know what health issuses could arise from later in life! The lady that created the breed stated in an article that they are far away removed from the Bengal now and they are hoping to avoid traits of the Bengal Health like HCM and PK-Def! But I honestly dont see how they can breed away from it , its not only bengals that have those problems! But as far as Savannahs if I had 4500 dollars to spend on a cat I would have and F 2 Savannah that is how impressed I am by them! My husband was the one that got me intereseted in them and I have now become very fond of them!!! He on the other hand is 100 % Bengal and nothing else! He didnt even know what a Bengal was until I started researching and found BB now he loves the breed and wouldnt want anything else :( So I probably wont have a Savannah either

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:17 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

My husband wanted a stripey cat but i refused to have a silver tabby british shorthair as i don't really like them... the chunky round look. Has you sister considered them? Whilst they aren't really stripey they are less work than bengals are so the peronality would fit better.

Also, Australian Mist cats come in spotted and marble in a variety of colours. They have a personaility similar to Burmese (which are used in their breeding).

Regarding Toygers, there are a couple of people on here who have them although i cannot remember who :roll: I was lucky enough to see some adults at a show and they were both stunning. One was a brown and very gorgeous. Had a similar colouring to tigers in a way. The other was a blue and the most gorgeous cat ever. It was a TICA show and he purred his way through his showings. Nudging the judges. I talked with his breeder a while and i cannot remember who it was... if i do, iw ill post it here for you. They are UK based but not the normal one that pops up when researching Toygers.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:12 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi there Lollo, how are your babies? Hope you are all well. Heard you guys in the midlands had the weather quite bad of it on Thursday? Hope it didn't cause too much of a problem for you. My sisters roof tiles were ripped off, fell onto her car! Thanks for your replies! She is incredibly stubborn as i've said previously, which makes it very difficult in helping her find the perfect fur baby (she roped me in to help as she has no idea about breeds etc.) She comes up to see me often and is incredibly jealous of my three boys, but as I said, she is not suited well enough for a bengal, and she wants stripes, not spots, so an egyptian mau is out. She looked into Toygers herself and mentioned it to me, so obviously i started looking them up for her. Haven't ever seen one in person myself, but was wondering if you guys had, and its nice to know that you have! It is very much the tiger look she is looking for though I mentioned a tabby to her and she just said "but I want cats like yours!". (Have to say at this point she may sound bratty but she is not really, I just don't suppose I'm posting about her in a very good light!!!). I saw something on here about somebody who had Toygers but I've been going through post after post and seeing nothing so far! If you do manage to find out about a few different kinds of breeders please let me know, as we all have connections and the like, mine are just mainly with bengal and mau breeders!! Obviously I would want all to know that the queen and stud are regularly tested for EVERYTHING. It's just hard as they are a relatively young breed and not many people I talk to up north here know about them (including our vet!).

Thank you so much for replying to my post and I'll keep searching!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:24 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

So I found three registered breeders in the UK from toygers.org. The first one to come up when i searches for Toygers was queenanncats, though I know you said it wasn't the first one to come up that you meant. Are you talking about Junglequeen or Mistymogwai lollo? Just want to take a look!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:40 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I hate to say this and I know it just my opioin but the Toyger kittens look just like a Bengal in the face and a not so good quality bengal with their markings it just looks like a Bengal with a lot of barring!! There was a few adults that were really nice looking but I would be afraid of purchasing one simply because you dont know how they will turn out!! Good Luck with finding your Sis a kitten!!! I really hope she gets a nice one! I think you should help her along the way as it turns out you pretty much want to look for the same things in Toygers as you would with Bengals!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:58 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thanks hun! The ones ive seen do look like bengals in the face though i have seen a few more from breeders in the uk with larger heads and a wider jaw (very attractive i must say!). I also spoke to a breeder briefly on the phone and she was more than happy for us to go and take a look. I have a lot of questions about health testing and the like and to see conditions etc etc. Apparently they are very playful and very very affectionate. Much like the temperament of my egyptian mau how she was describing the changes in characteristics as they grow etc etc. Will not be making a snap decision though which is why im thinking of checking out a few breeders myself first to make sure they do the necessary health checks, vaccs etc etc as i know if i took my sister she would just say yes without any answers etc etc. What do you guys think? X

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:01 pm 
Senior Bengal

I have an almost 11 month old Toyger girl & also an almost 9 month old Bengal boy. Toygers are fantastic, very energetic & she's very vocal. Always making us laugh & so affectionate, a total lap cat. Sometimes she's crazier than our boy! I have seen some Toygers look like a tabby cat but most I've seen you can see they are something special. My girl is very beautiful & her stripes are lovely.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:02 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:04 pm 
Senior Bengal

Also, Toygers are so similar to a Bengal as they are bred from Bengals. Originally it was a Bengal & a tabby cat. :)