[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - type of knee hight,short hair dog to be good with bengal?
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:44 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:16 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

i live with room mates who want to get a dog. a small/knee height dog that has minimal shedding that is intelligent.. I am getting my kitten in about a month, so i just want to know any advice, i want the cat/dog to get along and be able to trust the dog to NOT hurt my cat! they will both be inside at nearly all times, so thats also something to remember. is it good to get babies at the same time? (a 12 week old bengal and a puppy) or would it be better to introduce a baby to an older animal?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:52 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:57 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

the boys i live with are a bit lazy i doubt they would even think to groom a dogs hair, i'd end up doing it! i really want them to get an italian greyhound!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:07 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:07 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Seem to have posted the same post twice - deleted

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:09 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Yes, sighthounds all have a problem with prey drive. If it grows up with the kitten, it might be okay, but I would still be careful. Also, from what I've heard from people who own them, you wouldn't be able to be safe with any cats besides the one he grew up with.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:07 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Who's knees are we talking here? Couse a lab is kinda my knee hight, lol.
Seriously tho, first thing to consider is to get a dog that will be happy. And this means energy level (because dogs really need to go outside) and how active your friends are. If taking the dog out will be a problem (don't think summer and nice weather, think winter and oh-dear-god-my-nose-is-frozen) I suggest looking at a breed that doesn't need much excercise.
Also, read about the breeds that interest you. Read A LOT! Labs for example are super sweet dogs when they're adults. But boy, a lab puppy is a handfull and has crocodile teeth (and WILL use them, at least in the begining). I'm just saying about labs because that's the only breed a have a little experience with.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:38 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I would think that having had a Boston Terrier before they have the same energy as a Bengal they would probably get a long well and they are kinda manly! I think it would be worth considering a dog that is a little older than a puppy myself! After having my cat aroung a 4 month old puppy that is was mildly hyper and a small dog poor BB got the rough end of the deal. BB smacked her bit her and nothing detered the puppy from biting BB I had to make arrangments around the house to where BB didnt have to get on the floor or else she would have stayed on her cat tree the whold time! Puppies in general at a young age a very tenacious and just dont stop no matter what! I would look into breeds that dont tend to be very mouthy like a lab you have to teach them not to bite they have to learn to have what is called a soft mouth to carry items for whatever they are retreving! I know you said knee high but I have to say the most gentle dog that I have been around was a Great Dane! They are truely gentle giants! I dont personally think a greyhouhd or even italian grey hound would be a good match! Not only can they run faster then anyother breed but the smaller version of grey hounds the Italian is very senitive and pretty fragile dogs! I would really think twice about that one! Are there any other breeds you were looking into or they have in mind?I am a huge dog person and have had a lot of experience with different breeds.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:45 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

My Bengal loves dogs. His BEST friend is my parents Beagle. We all go for hikes together without any leashes and we all keep an eye out for one another and all stay together. They chase one another back and forth it truly is a strong bond. Their dog is more excited to see him than me. Its their second Beagle the first didn't shed but this one does. However I think its due to poor diet. But I can't imagine keeping it or any knee high dog indoors.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:11 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I do think it's a horrible idea though to get a dog but really if they want one then I can't exactly stop them! I'm not a huge fan of dogs though, so there's really no breed I'm interested in. They just want a short haired dog / one that dosnt shed much, around knee hight And that is intelligent. Ideally something similar to a basenji but maybe without the whole hunting trait! I think the whole "teacup" small dog idea puts them off since its considered a bit girly . Anyway the thing that bothered me most when they mentioned knee height (medium) was ... They want to litter box train it (since it would be indoors) I know small dogs can be good for that but MEDIUM dogs!!! I cannot see this working well and I surely CANNOT see a medium dog fitting in a litter tray and it sure as help won't be sharing with my cat ! And I'm fairly sure the dogs tray will rarely get cleaned (messy boys !)

I just hope they realize it's not a great idea and don't go through with it but he said they're set on gettin one. Maybe a Labradore or a staffy . So long as they clean up after it and it dosnt Make my cat unhappy I'm fine but I don't see it working out very well :(

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:17 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Cats instinctively cover their waste in the litter box, which helps cut down on smell a little bit. Dogs don't.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:30 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I use a Tupperware container for a litter box for portability. They make really big ones too, or get a little kid swimming pool. You could get a horse and litter train it :P Never heard of a litter trained dog. But I don't see why not.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:37 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

The kiddy pool would be a good idea but we don't exactly have anywhere inside for it to go and it. Can't be outside if the dog is an inside dog. At some times nobody would be home to let the dog out to poo. And as 7deadlysins said dogs won't bury poo so as SOON as they poo it would need to be scooped or the house would smell like dog **** . I don't know how to get through to these boys it's a bad idea.. They aren't particularly fond of cats yet are ok with me having one so I think its a bit unfair to say no to a dog (woulnt stop them anyway) but grr

Last edited by ailurophile on Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:41 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Honestly, if they're too lazy to take the dog outside to go for the bathroom, are they going to be walking it? Probably not. Most dog fanatics say that even lazy dog breeds really benefit from at least one walk a day. Depending on the kind of breed they get, it could need a LOT more. Dogs take effort, and especially if they are getting a puppy. Most dog people I know recommend that first-time dog owners DON'T get puppies, because an older dog is often a better fit for many reasons. I haven't gotten the impression that your room-mates are going to give the dog the time it needs. Also, assuming you're in college, again, most dog people I know really suggest against it. Really cuts down on the partying and studying if you have to be back to let the dog out... though, they aren't planning on even doing that...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:50 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I think they would take it for walks, probably 2-4 times a week, if not i will, but its not about them being too lazy (they're cleaning dishes type of lazy) to take the dog outside to poop, its about when nobody is home, the dog can't get out. we have all had dogs in the past (living with out parents) Me and 1 other housemate go to college(university) the 2 that want a dog dont. one has a full time job and the other works 2 days a week. (but looking for a new job soon) So most of the time there would be somebody home. The dog wouldn't interrupt study or partying (we don't party often) and only really 1 of us studies (i don't study, I'm doing graphic design, we have little or no need to study for the type of stuff we are learning) so really there isn't any issues except for pooping.