[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Is my baby REALLY a Bengal...
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:22 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Please bear in mind when you read this I am not irresponsible, I just did what most of you would do put in my situation. Probably did not do enough research but we live and learn. So we found a "so-called" breeder, she was listed etc etc, though the cats/kittens were kept in terrible conditions (have since reported her to the necessary authorities) and was apparently a "good breeder" years ago,(have since found all this information out, a little too late) though not anymore. Once we got there to see the kitten, I was extremely unhappy with the conditions and could not leave this moor little mite there any longer, so I took him home with me and straight to the vets. He was incredibly underweight, also only 8 weeks old, not "ready to go at 12 weeks" as she had specifically stated, had a yeast infection in his tiny ears and also a few ear mites. (He is thriving now). We names him Achilles, as he is very strong. Many ear drops, much love and care and attention and food later, he is loving his new home though after finding all this information out you can understand I have one or two doubts, he was supposed to be sold "with paperwork" to be sent through the post of which we never received. Which obviously rings a lot of alarm bells. I suspect he is a bengal cross. I am attaching pictures and would just like some thoughts on the matter? Either way, he is very much adored and spoilt rotten :)

I will add more pictures

Mia x

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:13 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Beautiful baby! Good for you for rescuing him from those awful conditions. Obviously without papers you will not know 100% but He looks like a Bengal to me : )

Congratulations on a gorgeous cat and welcome.

Looking forward to seeing more pics

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:15 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I do think he looks like a Bengal. Some things aren't desired as far as the show standard goes (some body striping) but he does look like a Bengal to me, at any rate. It is possible he's a cross, of course, since you don't have papers yet (and can't prove it unless you did), but he looks a lot more Bengal-ish than most.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:30 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thank you for your comments. It is reassuring to know your thoughts, though I must say, no matter what he is I love him dearly all the same. The striping around his shoulders is breaking up daily, he is still going through his "fuzzies" slightly too, I was told that the fuzzies usually only go up to about 11/12 weeks, but he is 14 weeks, is he a slow developer? I will be posting more pics as he develops. He was incredibly underweight when we first got him, though have had many compliments from our vets at how much he is progressing and how much weight he has put on. This so-called "breeder" had him in filthy conditions, when we got him, he had ear mites, a yeast infection and terrible fleas. All clear of the above now though! I am in touch will the RSPCA and Cats Protections with regard to this woman, and have agreed to take on some of the adult cats that were there if they manage to seize the poor cats.

I have to say I am incredible angry at this woman and often at night I get int a rage and feel like driving there and rescuing them myself, but I know you have to go through the "proper channels".

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:23 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

He is beautiful! My Romeo has stripes, too. His are rosetted so maybe your kitten's will be, too. He looks full Bengal to me. Kudos to you for reporting the breeder and for offering to take some of the adults as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:29 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

If there were only more people like you! I wish there was your baby is beautiful and I do believe he is Bengal no you cant prove it yet but he certainly looks bengal! I am so happy to hear that you rescued him and reported this woman! I hope all works out and you might get to foster if not get those other cats out of there! Congrats to you and good luck I hope all goes well and works out in favor of the cats! Sad story with a hopefull happy ending! Keep us updated on the witch and of course keep those pictures coming! BTW BB my bengal is 4 months and just now got out of the fuzzies and her rib bars are starting to break up as she gets bigger! he is beautiful!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:22 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Had a phone call this morning from a gentleman at the RSPCA to say that they had seized her animals and issued her with a court date and a fine, (at the court hearing she will probably be banned from having any animals at all, we can hope!) somebody is coming over this afternoon to take a statement about what I saw whilst I was there and also to assess the environment etc so they can decide how many of the cats would be able to be comfortably rehomed here. Must say it has happened very quickly in which I am extremely pleased as I was concerned they wouldn't take my complaint seriously. They confirmed 2 of the adult bengals have mange and are in extremely poor physical condition (I am disgusted and would very much like to get my hands on that woman!) I will keep you updated on what is happening!

Thank you all for your lovely comments and I know that all of you here would do the same in my situation. It enrages me how people think animals can be treated that way. With regard to my little Achilles, I know I will never really know whether he is full bengal or not, but I don't care, he is wonderful, gorgeous and such an affectionate little boy. I just wanted to see what you all thought so that when he gets older I will better be able to understand his characteristics and behaviour as I know bengals are very different to many other breeds.

Thank you all so so much, and as I said, I will keep you all updated!

Mia x

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:26 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

surely if those cats aren't treated for fleas and such they probably wouldn't be treated for more serious things like hcm and pk-def.. that woman definatley shouldn't be breeding such precious cats in such horrible standards.. I'm shocked things like this happen!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:01 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

It genuinely is disgusting, obviously once they have all been tested and completely checked over by a vet we will know a lot more, I am relieved that something has been done though, but not happy about the situation.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:45 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Miki & My Beloved Bengals http://mybelovedbengals.blogspot.com/

Shiloh, Darcy, Rudy The Roodster & Ozzy...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:34 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Good job to you! Not only did you save your little guy but all the other cats and possibly many future cats as well!!!! I am so pleased to hear that, I am sure you will probably be getting more cats soon so keep us posted! I doubt the woman goes to jail but I am sure she will pay a lot of fines and she will probably be banned from owning and/or breeding animals ever again! Congrats to you, it might have been an ugly situation but I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason! If you didnt go there to get your little man those poor cats would probably still be in that condition!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:36 pm 
Bengal Cat

Mia,

He is absolutely beautiful and looks like a bengal to me. Poor little mite, what a horrible start in life, but he has probably forgotten all about it now and looks very happy in your loving home.

How much did this breeder charge you for him? And how many cats did she have?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:56 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

£300.00 for him, and I didn't want to give her a penny after seeing what I saw, but I couldn't leave him there and there was no way she would have let me just waltz off with him. But according to the chap I spoke to at the RSPCA, apparently I may end up getting my money back seeing as I may be taking on a lot more of her cats to take care of them, "upkeep fee" or something apparently. I didn't see all of the cats that were there, though from what I saw I saw at least 8 in the actual house, and then there were mothers with babies in (i know this is upsetting) rabbit hutches. I can't give an actual figure as to how many were there, but I am guessing there were more in the house that I couldn't see, plus 2 or 3 per hutch )not including any kittens hide by their mothers) and I saw about 10 hutches. In a tiny room in the garage. I have been assured that they are out of her care though now and will be updated as to what is happening as it does.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:01 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Well done Mia! Great to see the RSPCA acting so swiftly *cheer*

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:28 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Some more pictures for you!