It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Bengal Spraying
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:32 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hello

I have a 5 and a half yr old female bengal Golds and am at my wits end with her spraying. She has been neutered after having 1 litter (I still have 1 girl from the litter) I have a large sized house and 3 indoor cats- 2 bengals and 1 burmese. They have regular exercise outside and we also had a wooden wheel my husband built but she rotted it away in the end. The other bengal and my burmese have never sprayed and are both neutred happy cats. Golds has been doing it now for about 4 years and I have lost count of the sofas, beds, coats, shoes, carpets, curtains etc..... that we have been through in those years, she has cost me a lot of money!! We have been copius amounts of times to the vets (and mainly get told thats what you get for dabbling in 'exotic' species) we've tried feliway, we've tried anti stress pills, combining them, seperation, moving, you name it we have tried everything apart from a cat behaviourist (who I think will just tell me nothing I don't already know and charge me a handsome home visit fee!) The house is quite divided at night, she used to come upstairs and sleep on the bed but she frequently wee'd on it whilst we were asleep and the other cats took to attacking her if she did it so she doesn't come upstairs unless its during the day and I am up there. Her daughter and the Burmese are as thick as theives and generally my bengal has an accute dislike for her daughter and normally picks on the burmese when they aren't together, but goldie has always been quite a solo character and prefers our company to other cats, she has always been quite nervy and a real delicate little soul, who is just the most affectionate cat and very loving, she gets equal affection, maybe if not a little more! I love her dearly but its causing me problems now with my landlord because of the smell, she's already cost me 900 pounds in lost deposit last time. I really don't know what else to do? She also howls at night calling like she is in season ( I have had her tested at the vets for all sorts relating to the spraying and calling but to no avail) I did read up on bengals before buying one but no one ever seemed to mention the weeing! I know they are complex cats and I know she is obviously unhappy with something but am at a loss to find out what and if its territorial there is no solution? She knows what she is doing is wrong and she does use the litters (I have 5 dotted around) If anyone can think of any suggestions I would be really grateful. I really don't want to part with her but also don't want to continue in this cycle of unhappiness hers and mine!

Post subject: Re: Bengal Spraying
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:04 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi

I would suggest you post this in "behaviour" section. More chance people will see it there, and give advice.