[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Every Bengal owner needs this!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:58 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:37 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I hope someone makes this a sticky.

First let me say that 3 years ago if you told me I would get a cat I'd laugh at you. I'd likely punch you if you told me I wanted 2 or spent any amount of money for one. I hated cats the only thing I hated more than cat was the people that own cats.

I'm a passionate animal lover. So why the hate? Because I've personally seen the change in my local wildlife, I haven't seen a snake around here in years. Cat prints all over my car, my flower pots dug up and used as a litter box. My porch smells like cat piss because some cat thinks its his territory. Its mine! My yard, my car I'm the only one who can pee on my porch!! This is the owners fault just as much as the cats!

Ok fast forward a year I'll spare you the details but I'm the proud owner of a beautiful Bengal kitten named Pouncey. I named him after the Pittsburgh Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey #53 here's some pics: http://db.tt/JkrsiOXp
I swore he'd only be out while on a leash for the reasons above and his safety. But he wants to run and climb tree's and play fetch and all the things that make a Bengal a Bengal. I found the solution its called "The Pet Loc8tor" here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/Loc8tor-Pet-Ultim ... 128&sr=8-1

It completely changed our relationship and there's nothing like it. He is still only out when I'm out, but I can cut grass talk to neighbors work on the car or in the garden. Without worries.

Personally I didn't like him knowingly when I'm looking for him so I removed the speaker and half of the case to make it smaller. Because his neck is small the included collar attachment made a weird flat spot. So instead I used some heat shrink tubing and put his collar on a glass before forming it, so relaxed the collar forums a perfect circle. Here it is on his neck: http://db.tt/oAohtwPG I'm picky you don't have to go to that extreme everything's still good the way it comes.
But please for the safety and happiness of your pet, the sanity of your neighbors and the local wildlife please consider being a responsible pet owner and buy it.

Thanks Adam

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:38 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

That definitely sounds convenient, but I don't like putting things around my cat's neck.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:48 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Like nothing? Not any collar? You don't like too but does your cat mind? Its small. http://db.tt/NU4qqfJA

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:06 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

They also have an older version. I've never used it. The tags are the same the difference is the hand held device. It's bigger about the size of a flip phone. As opposed to the one I have that's about the size of 3-5 credit cards stacked. The old one has a better range and you can set a parameter to alert you when your cat gets to far away. I kinda regret not getting it just for the fact it uses common batteries but it is kinda big. Like I said I've never used the old one so I can't speak for certain on it.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:06 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I think it's potentially a great idea and all, but I think a lot of people (myself included) may not entirely feel comfortable with it, simply for the fact that it's on a collar - which in itself can be dangerous. There have been lots of 'horror stories' told about collar accidents, including some where it was supposed to be a break-away collar. I guess it can never be 100% safe.

Personally I'd rather just keep my cats safely inside, or out on our large screened in back patio - supervised. I do plan on attempting to get our new Bengal kitten used to the harness/leash so I can take him out that way, but only if he's into that. Some cats don't even want to go out because it's just scary I guess, lol.. I have a few of those. :P They are all different.

I think that if the cat was definitely being supervised though, and had no way of running off and becoming 'lost', that Loc8tor Pet collar could definitely come in handy to some. But the danger lies in the possibility of the cat just taking off, and worse case scenario getting itself caught or hung on something by the collar, and you aren't there to see it happen or save them. :( So just be careful! Thanks for sharing the idea though, it could be good for certain situations..

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:19 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I do like the idea of being able to let my cats have "outdoor time", and the idea of being able to locate my cat if lost, it's not a bad concept. Maybe someday I'd even consider getting one. But c'mon, you are WAY overselling this, in fact your pitch is over-the-top and is almost comical. Why in the world would the ability to locate your cat turn you from a cat-hater to a cat lover? If that is true, it seems extremely superficial. I also fail to see the connection between solving the problem with your neighbor's cat allegedly peeing on your porch or digging up your flowers and your buying one of these for your cat.

Also, gotta love a product named with l33t speak :roll: It gives me a mental picture of the inventor being a 12 year old kid with a baseball cap turned backwards, cheap sunglasses, and baggy pants.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:23 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I also do not understand how that makes you like cats more.

I do not understand how it stops him hunting now he is out. You admitted on another thread that you actually give him live mice as a treat (which is unbelieveably cruel and illegal in the UK). I cannot possibly see that in letting your cat roam whilst you are outside will stop him hunting if he sees an anmal he wants to 'play' with. Having this device only makes you able to locate your cat should you not be able to see him.

I also do not like collars. They cause far too many injuries and can be fatal. Not too long ago a member of the forum's cat went missing and returned with it's collar wrapped under it's leg. He suffered horrific injuries. And a couple of years ago a member of the the forum had rehomed her ex stud cat only to hear that he had hung himself on a doorhandle inside from his collar. It was a quick release one that failed to release :( On other pet forums i have heard of so many injuries from collars. On the flip side, when my cats were allowed to roam outside at a previous house, they had quick release collars that were replaced almost every week after they returned without them! This is a very expensive thing to lose when the collar breaks off.

There has been some research into wildlife lost through cats (i'll see if i can find it) that found that it was not as significant as people think. Wildlife tends to relocate to where they are not as many prolific hunters and cats tend to pick off the weak that would normal succumb to illness/other wildlife. It was fairly interesting and the bird bit was backed up by the RSPB.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:04 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Totally behind you, Lollo!
Merlin had a collar, went out, came back without it. It was a not very cheap, safety release collar, from a major brand manufacturer - Fortunately it obviously released! :) I've never replaced it as he knows where home is and never goes too far - He's beaten up all the neighbourhood moggies and they leave well alone, now! :twisted:
As far as I'm concerned, as long as he's in overnight and eating at home, then daytime is now his playground. He was an outdoor cat before I rehomed him, and was never 100% happy being kept in, then after several breakouts, we compromised, and he is soooooo happy now. The laugh is that when I tried to keep him in he fought me all the way - Now I let him come and go (during the day only) he's a real home boy! :? :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:07 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Tracker or not, I wouldn't buy one.

I keep my bengal indoors or on a leash for his own safety, a collar thing isn't going to magically make him more road aware and stop him from getting hit by a car or stop someone else's cat or dog from attacking him

From a gimmick point of view it would be interesting, but I certainly wouldn't pay any money for one, let alone one that you have to modify just to make it useable. Sorry, not for me.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:05 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I wasn't trying to start a collar debate. It doesn't even come with a collar. Instead of attacking the collar maybe you could help with ideas on how to attach it then? It also comes with a thing to go on a key ring, ideas? Would a harness be better? What about duct tape, super glue or staples? (Its a joke)

This has nothing to do with how I feel about my cat or why I got one. If you must know it was a girl I dated with an indoor cat I didn't even know about indoor cats because I never saw one outside. I don't like irresponsible pet owner who let their cats do/go whatever/wherever not to mention the risks involved. The issue I had with the peeing was an example of how a non cat person views cat/owners. Actually the irresponsible owner of that cat put it to sleep because they didn't like it. I think that's wrong, they got another cat it was a friendly adopted indoor only cat now its out all the time, gets in fights and is nasty. They say its the cats fault for not staying in. Everyone who said they keep their cats indoors THANK you. That shows me your a responsible pet owner. Walking on a leash is also responsible IMO. I think the loc8tor is also responsible when you are supervising the cat. Its just a tool to help responsible pet owners not to replacement them. He's not outside unless I'm close by. The big differences is the amount of exercise he gets and how long I can keep him out. He likes to climb trees I don't now he can. I'm afraid to tie him out because he could get tangled. I can't work on my car and hold a leash but he wants to help too. I feel bad he just sits in the window crying or scratching at the door because he can't be with me. http://db.tt/oFU3uY1Z (I didn't have it yet)

"WAY overselling this"
I was trying too seemed like fun.

"gotta love a product named with l33t speak"
:P. I feel the same it gives me a negative/nerdy feeling why not the ilocator now that would be original.

"He's beaten up all the neighbourhood moggies and they leave well alone, now!" " daytime is now his playground"
Nobody finds this wrong? Or irresponsible? What if it was your moggie? His playground should not be my cars hood.
I have a pet cobra how would you feel if it was on your porch? Keep your pet on your property. Show respect to your neighbors.

"I do not understand how it stops him hunting now he is out"
It doesn't I do I'm right there with him. He got a hold of a baby bird last week I didn't see it in the bush. I yelled and ran at him. He let it go and I took him inside he didn't go back out the rest of day. The bird was fine. PS if you have a issue with something I said in another thread please discuss it there. This topic isn't about cat treats.

"you have to modify just to make it useable"
I'm an engineer I modify everything its useable the way it is. You could argue I made it worse by removing the speaker/light. It was a simple/cheap mod just sharing my experience.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:12 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:29 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

oh dear, I was going to post yesterday and since then it's got more technical. Was just remembering how many years ago I purchased a collar at considerable expense for my old burmese, Zebedee. It had been promoted by Rolf Harris as the collar which would help to prevent cats catching birds etc as it allegedly emitted a sound which warned them the cat was about to pounce. It didn't faze Zeb at all - after catching several birds whilst wearing the collar, he sneeringly ditched it (and its replacement). Never found the first one but the second I did, alarmingly dangling from a tree branch. Have never used a collar on my cats since. My present bengal Khanie doesn't seem to be that interested in birds anyway, more of a mouseman.

Ah, my beautiful Zebedee.....the birds hop lightly over his grave now.....even perching on his little statue. Feel sure I can hear him chattering in annoyance!

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:11 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

What about an elastic leg band? Like an ankle bracelet just up higher. It coming off defeats its purpose but think about it you wouldn't lose an expensive breakaway or Rolf Harris collar because it has the tag on it.

"How do you know the bird didn't die from fright or was rejected by it's parents"
I've raised baby birds and it was old enough to be without parents. It doesn't matter though I don't know what happened to it.

"If you cannot always see him"
When we go camping/hiking I don't like to stay on any paths a leash won't work it'd get caught up on everything. I was tracking him one time, the thing said he was close but I didn't see him I almost stepped on him. Scared the s***t out of me. He has excellent camo in the fall around here or hides in the bushes wanting to play. That's why I'm recommending this.

"If i let my cats out with one of these on, they would be off over the fields chasing pheasants and hunting mice." "I just do not see how having it would make me responsible"
Your just being silly now. Its like saying I poured the gas and lit the fire but I'm not responsible even though I have an extinguisher. Its a tool to help you I never said it does your job for you. My cat listens very well I put alot of effort into training him. In the beginning when we went out I had a bag of raw tuna in my pocket. I would only let him off the leash for small periods of time and reward him for listening. Maybe that's not possible for you or you have too many cats IDK. I see lots of people training their Bengals I'm sure every one of them knows "come here" most use a clicker I just snap my fingers.

lollo2304: its obvious to me that your upset/angry because of what I posted in another thread that's fine I respect your opinion. I felt it was relevant to the thread viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15304 could you show me some respect and keep on topic here? I just don't see the relevance, you want me to "respect the views of the people in the UK"? I don't think you can speak for the UK no more than I can for the US. I know people who are fighting to change your law(reptile owners). I'm sure people are fighting here to change ours. Besides that I appreciate your involvement I don't want you to leave. I think we share a love for our pets and I welcome your opinions and experience.

Some said something about how the outside cats don't effect wildlife or the wildlife just relocates. Give me a link I'll give you 3 three that disagreeing the internet is full of conflicting articles. I know of the impact because I see it the wildlife has changed were I live over the 30yr I've lived here not totally by cats but definitely a big part. Funny thing is we have mice now and we never did I think their evolving :twisted: The relocation idea sucks maybe not for birds but for everything else it does.
Its actually illegal to use kill traps for pest animals in some parts because the native rodents are almost extinct by law you must catch the whole family and relocate it. Washington D.C. is one.
http://www.wildthingssanctuary.org/cats--wildlife.html

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:01 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:34 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Sorry I took a couple days I had this long reply written out and my browser crashed so I got mad and quit.

I've had my first cat for a year and a half and been a member of this forum for like days now. So I'm sure I know everything :lol:

I'm a technical person and a member of many different forums. I doubt if I've made 10 posts on all of them combined. Usually the search function is all I need unless I'm buying something. I had a behavior question so I started my first thread ever. I needed expert opinions because its not a black/white issue.

The BCF has been different because things aren't as black/white but very opinionated. That and the members here also care about the well being of my Bengal. On a car forum nobody cares if I blow my car up other than how I did it so they can avoid the same mistake. Actually they find it funny.

"I've been her for far too many years and seen so many people come and go."
I know me and I won't be here here long, I'm not leaving yet but I'll move on. One thing that won't change is my new found feelings toward cats and my love for my cat Pouncey. For now I'm having alot of fun and learning alot at the same time. Who knows maybe I'll never leave.

Everyone here has worked hard to make BCF what it is. I don't want to just come in here and leave my mark and have it seem negative like in the other thread. Instead I would like to contribute with something positive. I hope the loc8tor is my contribution. In my situation it has proven to be indispensable tool building my relationship with my cat. Maybe things will change and he won't listen when he get older and I'll have to use a lead again, or I get another cat IDK. But seriously every time I lose sight of my cat I'm so thankful I bought this thing it takes the constant worrying away. Now I'm only worried most of the time.