It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:51 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:35 am 
Offline
Bengal Kitten

Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:33 am
Posts: 5
Hi I am new here and have a concern. I will love to have a bengal cat of my own but i read online that NYC has banned all hybrid cats. Is this still true?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:22 am 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:18 am
Posts: 534
Location: US
As far as I know, in NY F5 and below are allowed but all bengals are still illegal in NYC. But laws change all the time so you'll have to call locally to find out... and see if permits are available for private ownership. (Sorry if this isn't too helpful, but I figured I'd try to answer it anyway because most people here are from the UK.)

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:39 am 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:14 am
Posts: 296
Location: U.S.A.
A legal Bengal in NY need to be at least 5 generations removed from the ALC, anything earlier (generation)is prohibited and will belong to the state if they find about it.

See here for more info: http://www.hybridlaw.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:51 pm 
Offline
Bengal Kitten

Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:33 am
Posts: 5
thanks guyz for the replies, i contacted TICA directly and they said "SBT Bengal cats are domestic cats. They New York City Animal Care and Control Board clearly states that hybrid cats are illegal but domestic cats are LEGAL.
As domestic, SBT in TICA, are legal based on the domestic Bengal's cellular, genetic and physiological identification as a Felis catus - domestic cats." so was helpful.

I have another question, bengal cats are ofcourse very pricy, but i found a lady who has 6 kittens and due to her job she has put them up for adoption, only asking $180 per kitten for the shipment charges. She says the kittens are up to date with vaccines and have been spayed/neutered.and are TICA registered The only thing is she is in Cameroon and I am in NYC, therefore i will not be able to see the kittens in person beforehand, and the idea of having them shipped from so far away is not so appealing. But the price is. I don't know if I should adopt from her or go to a breeder near by and spend over $900 and get from there. Any advice? thank you :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:57 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 6:57 pm
Posts: 380
Location: Oxford, UK
sq265 wrote:
thanks guyz for the replies, i contacted TICA directly and they said "SBT Bengal cats are domestic cats. They New York City Animal Care and Control Board clearly states that hybrid cats are illegal but domestic cats are LEGAL.
As domestic, SBT in TICA, are legal based on the domestic Bengal's cellular, genetic and physiological identification as a Felis catus - domestic cats." so was helpful.

I have another question, bengal cats are ofcourse very pricy, but i found a lady who has 6 kittens and due to her job she has put them up for adoption, only asking $180 per kitten for the shipment charges. She says the kittens are up to date with vaccines and have been spayed/neutered.and are TICA registered The only thing is she is in Cameroon and I am in NYC, therefore i will not be able to see the kittens in person beforehand, and the idea of having them shipped from so far away is not so appealing. But the price is. I don't know if I should adopt from her or go to a breeder near by and spend over $900 and get from there. Any advice? thank you :)


Maybe I'm cynical but it sounds like a scam to me. Did they ask for a Western Union transfer, by any chance?

Generally speaking you get what you pay for...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:33 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:54 pm
Posts: 10875
Location: Cumbria, UK
I'm afraid it sounds extremely dodgy to me too - have you checked out the breeder's TICA registration? If cost is an issue, you may be able to find a retired breeding cat available at a reasonable price or a Bengal in one of the rescue centres. Otherwise, try putting some money away each month until you can afford to get a kitten from a registered breeder a bit closer to home.

_________________
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:50 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:23 am
Posts: 839
Location: West Sussex
I cannot believe that ANYONE would buy a kitten without seeing it first, let alone even consider shipping one from the Camaroon to the USA. :shock:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:08 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:19 pm
Posts: 1916
Location: Wiltshire, England
The Cameroon kittens are a scam. There are no kittens. You send them the shipping payment and no kittens arrive. Go to a reputable breeder.

_________________
Best wishes, Sue
Chataya - United Kingdom Tonkinese Breeder
(retired Bengal breeder)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:18 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:50 am
Posts: 605
Location: Kent
http://www.kittenlist.co.uk/content/Ant ... Facilities

It IS a scam! Check that link, it is a very common scam from Cameroon especially! Go to a reputable breeder,there are a few in and around NYC. Meet the kitten,see the registration paperwork,and ask loads of questions!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:20 am 
Offline
Bengal Kitten

Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:33 am
Posts: 5
yea the person was very convincing like sent pics and stuff too but i did not feel good about having the kitten in a flight for 7 hours...the price yes was appealing but concerning as well thats why i asked here. I am making an appointment with a breeder in nyc for next week, she has the most adorable lil marble kitten and i would love to have her. yes she is pricy but i have enough saved up :D thank you all for your replies :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:21 am 
Offline
Bengal Kitten

Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:33 am
Posts: 5
Lib wrote:
sq265 wrote:
thanks guyz for the replies, i contacted TICA directly and they said "SBT Bengal cats are domestic cats. They New York City Animal Care and Control Board clearly states that hybrid cats are illegal but domestic cats are LEGAL.
As domestic, SBT in TICA, are legal based on the domestic Bengal's cellular, genetic and physiological identification as a Felis catus - domestic cats." so was helpful.

I have another question, bengal cats are ofcourse very pricy, but i found a lady who has 6 kittens and due to her job she has put them up for adoption, only asking $180 per kitten for the shipment charges. She says the kittens are up to date with vaccines and have been spayed/neutered.and are TICA registered The only thing is she is in Cameroon and I am in NYC, therefore i will not be able to see the kittens in person beforehand, and the idea of having them shipped from so far away is not so appealing. But the price is. I don't know if I should adopt from her or go to a breeder near by and spend over $900 and get from there. Any advice? thank you :)


Maybe I'm cynical but it sounds like a scam to me. Did they ask for a Western Union transfer, by any chance?

Generally speaking you get what you pay for...


no they didnt ask for western union transfer yet but seemed very much in a hurry like sending me 4-5 messages one after other.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:48 am 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:14 am
Posts: 296
Location: U.S.A.
If I'm not mistaken TICA recognizes anything F4 and later as a SBT.

The NY law specifies for at least 5 gen removed, so you may have to go with a F5 or later. I'm sure a breeder in NY would be able to confirm this for you.

Good thing you didn't get suckered by that degenerate con artist. At the very best you would have only got a picture of a Bengal. Think about it, why would anyone give away a Bengal kitten to a total stranger when they don't stand to make dime one?

With a rescue cat you can give a needy Bengal a second chance for about the same price, if interested take a look at Petfinder.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:23 am 
Offline
Bengal Kitten

Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:33 am
Posts: 5
Dan wrote:
If I'm not mistaken TICA recognizes anything F4 and later as a SBT.

The NY law specifies for at least 5 gen removed, so you may have to go with a F5 or later. I'm sure a breeder in NY would be able to confirm this for you.

Good thing you didn't get suckered by that degenerate con artist. At the very best you would have only got a picture of a Bengal. Think about it, why would anyone give away a Bengal kitten to a total stranger when they don't stand to make dime one?

With a rescue cat you can give a needy Bengal a second chance for about the same price, if interested take a look at Petfinder.


yea i contacted TICA just to be 100% sure and they said its fine...i found a good breeder so i am going to go see her cattery and will see what happens from there..thank you


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:53 pm 
Offline
Bengal Cat

Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:32 pm
Posts: 48
Yes the best thing to do is contact someone local to see what the laws are . I have not heard if they are still illegal.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:43 pm 
Offline
Bengal Kitten

Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:41 pm
Posts: 1
HEY!!! Did you ever get the Bengal kitten in NYC? How did it go? I am interested in purchasing one and had same legality concerns.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Powered by meemonkey