It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:36 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:13 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

It is actually contagious.

Spike has NEVER bothered to get up on the counters (well not in my presence should I say) but since Yuki arrived and I have Toshi and Yuki surfing Spike has also clicked on to the fact that this is a cool activity.

He is asleep on the microwave on top of the fridge freezer as I type :roll:

At the end of the day this is their home as much as mine and to be honest what difference does it make - anyone with an ounce of sense would always clean the counters before preparing food on them anyway, cats or not, that is just sensible hygiene precautions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:58 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Exactly, I couldn't agree more. I only worried when my cats couldn't leap. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:27 am 
Senior Bengal

Update -

So I bought two bar stools for the kitchen and started rewarding him when he's on them. I pull them close when I'm cooking for him to observe and 'monitor' meal preparations. I left them right in the middle of the kitchen so at any point in the day he could jump on the stools to see what was on the counters.

After 2-3 weeks of this I can say that it didn't work. He still got up on the counters just as much as before. Only difference is that now, he has figured out how to jump up on top of the refrigerator and above the kitchen cupboards!

After this I tried just ignoring him and hoping he'll find it boring once he realizes that he gets ignored when he's on the counters - his frequency increased and he began jumping up on them right in front of us to lick at everything!!!! :evil:

Does anyone have anymore ideas on how to keep him off the counters?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:46 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Tonight I gave my three cats their dinner in their dishes as usual. I had to put some medicine in Serafina's so I pulled her aside, and gave her, her particular dish. She took one sniff and wouldn't eat it. Grrrr! So I took her dish, and put it up on the kitchen counter temporarily while I prepared my own dinner. My intention was to put it in the fridge and see if she would like to eat it a little later.

So I walked outside to put some chicken on the grill, came back inside, and there was Serafina on the counter eating her food. Oh *I* see, she only wants it if it's not allowed and it's served in a forbidden location. NOW I get it :lol: And she ate every bit of it btw.

This morning while I was eating breakfast, Gaga jumped up on the table, grabbed a piece of bacon from my plate, jumped back down, and dashed off with it while growling at her sisters to let her have her bounty to herself. I pretty much just had to laugh. What else was there to do?

If it's any consolation, my Oriental is a much much worse counter-surfer than the bengals. She is up there all the time, knocking things off and creating havoc. I brought home a pizza last week and had some little plastic packets of mozerella cheese. I left some of those out while putting the pizza in the fridge. The next day, those bags were strewn all over the floor, completely shredded by little little teeth puncture marks. Apparently she really likes mozerella cheese, and now looks for anything made of similar thin plastic so she can shred it and see if it might contain mozerella cheese :roll:

So my point? It could be worse! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:21 am 
Senior Bengal

Brianj12 - Haha! That's awful! It could be worse, you're right.

My boy loves cheese too! I was thawing a frozen bag cheese in the sink for the dinner I was making, jumped in the shower, and then found the cheese strewn around the family room and the bag with chew marks in it. He had obviously grabbed it and started running because he was walking the path he'd made sucking up all the cheese shreds.

Naughty boy :roll:

It was too far after the fact to punish him or do anything about it - so I just broke out the vacuum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:22 am 
Senior Bengal

Brianj12 - Haha! That's awful! It could be worse, you're right.

My boy loves cheese too! I was thawing a frozen bag cheese in the sink for the dinner I was making, jumped in the shower, and then found the cheese strewn around the family room and the bag with chew marks in it. He had obviously grabbed it and started running because he was walking the path he'd made sucking up all the cheese shreds.

Naughty boy :roll:

It was too far after the fact to punish him or do anything about it - so I just broke out the vacuum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:42 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Not one of my bengals but my late Tonkinese boy, Mr Ko when he was about five months old.

I had cooked a large leg of English Lamb and had it on a draining dish in the utility room off the kitchen. I must have left the door not quite closed as he came marching back into the kitchen with this large leg of Lamb clamped in his jaws with his head held high. It looked so funny; the leg of Lamb was bigger than him and heavy. He was holding his head up really high and you could see the tendons in his neck with the strain. He was so proud of himself; it was if he was saying "Look mummy, not only can I catch prey but I can choose ready cooked as well". We did laugh and the Lamb tasted okay to us :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:56 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Can't keep Rocky or Georgia off my kitchen tops either. I've learned to keep anything edible out of the way, otherwise it gets eaten! It doesn't bother me at all that they go on the surfaces, I just wipe the tops regularly, especially before preparing food. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 3:06 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Picking up on this subject - my two kitties cant quite jump onto the surfaces yet unless they take a running jump up my leg.
I'm trying hard to teach that them that the worktops are not for them but my concern is my electric hob.

Its stays boiling hot for quite sometime after its been on and I cant always guarantee to be standing guard over it.
What do people use to protect their cats from these electric hobs? I'm so scared that when they can eventually jump to the worktops they are going to serious injury themselves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 3:39 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

My hob is halogen and although it cools fairly quickly I always try to remember to put something over it while it cools down. I have a round metal trivet that I use specifically for that purpose.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:01 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Wow I'm a little surprised at some of the replies to your question. Giving up and accepting that your cat is going to potentially put him/herself in danger by jumping on the counter does not seem like responsible pet ownership to me. Don't most people have a stove adjacent to their countertop?

Anyway, here's what worked with my Bengal. First of all, make the counter less attractive. Always put your dishes away and don't leave dirty dishware and bits of food in the sink. Keep it spotless, all the time.

Get yourself some Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Castile Liquid Soap. Take a large spray bottle and mix about 1 quart of water to 1/4 cup of the peppermint soap. Clean your counters with this. You can also leave little squirts of it on the counter. Your cat will get his/her paws in it, and they really do not like peppermint. It's safe and non toxic.

Next you need positive reinforcement. After encountering the peppermint, your cat will probably hesitate before jumping on the counter. Reinforce this behaviour with gentle stroking, etc.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:45 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Quite an old thread! Mine rarely jumps up on the counter. I just pick him up and putting him back on the floor.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:43 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I can't wait until the day Pixel jumps on the counter, because that means she has built up enough confidence to leave the stairs and her safe-room upstairs. :(

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:17 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Quite unusual that someone WANTS their kitty to jump up on the counters. LOL

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:17 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Sherry wrote:
Quite unusual that someone WANTS their kitty to jump up on the counters. LOL

Remember when I said I couldn't wait for that day? Well, Iso figured it out before Pixel did last night. Who would have guessed the non-jumper would get up there first!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next