[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Teaching them tricks
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:08 am 
Bengal Kitten

Im new to this site. We just got our first bengal about a week ago. She is a blue F3. We were looking to get a cat and stumbled on to the bengal bread, Im really glad we did. She flew across the country to get to us, very nerve racking. Know that she is adjusted to us and her new home, we were wondering how you begin to train them to fetch and obey commands. She is very playful and loves to chase things. We would appreciate any suggestions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:56 am 
The Boss

Hi there and welcome to the forum!

Training Bengals to fetch is really easy.....It seems to be second nature to them.

I'd start off with a paper ball and just keep flicking across the room, They appear to love the chase more than anything so they'll no doubt fetch it back straight away unless they fancy a bit off stalking tatics!

Each cat will have it's own favorite game so If you have more than one cat in your household maybe it would be better to play fetch on a one to one basis.....otherwise you'll get them competing against each other which considering how fast Bengals are....You'll just see a big blur of spots! ;)

As for getting them to obey your commands.....Well we all would like to know that one for sure :P .....Bengals seem to just please themselves most of the time causing as much havoc and destruction as possible!

I have read a little about "clicker training" but I'm sure this method will depend on the individual cats character as to wether or not it'll take to it.....I've also heard of Bengals taking part in a kind of physical assault course in the u.s....so anything is possible!

p.s Have you got any pics of your F3 girl for us to see.......Blue bengals are just beautiful!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:08 am 
Of our 2 Bengals, Hestia will play fetch, but Zeus isn't interested - if I play with them together, if Hestia gets there first, she will bring it back, if Zeus gets there first, he will pick it up and then drop it resulting in game over <_< I find that a small furry type ball works best as they can pick this up easily.

As for other tricks, I've trained Zeus to sit on my shoulder, I've done this since he was a kitten and so now he's used to it, he purrs away, can be quite painful for me though if he decides he needs claws to hang on :o Also, he has been known to launch himself off things to try and land on me, this usually results in a large about of claws in the back :blink:

PS Don't think I've ever even seen a Blue Bengal, so please do post pics B)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:04 pm 
The Boss

I've only seen one litter of blue bengals on exhibition at the The Ocicat and Bengal cat club show last year.....They had a steady crowd around them all day just admiring them sleeping.....needless to say they had deposits put on them as soon as they were born.

But just the other week we were lucky enough to see three different smoked Bengal kittens that our friends had bred.....2 from one litter about 2 weeks old and 1 from another litter that was about 4 weeks old.

Both litters came from silvers and are equally as beautiful as the blues.......They were all black with under-lying darker spots visable already!

And thinking about it I think they're all sold too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:27 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thanks for the advice. She does seem to stalk things alot. She will chase then go hide behind something then attack. I will try the paper ball idea. I'll try to post some pictures of her tonight. I think she is pretty cute, but im not partial or anything :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:40 am 
Bengal Kitten

Im trying to post pics of Asia but I cant firgure it out HELP :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:49 am 
You need to upload them to here <a href='http://www.theimagehosting.com/' target='_blank'>Image Hosting</a> and then post the link it gives you back into here..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:31 am 
Bengal Kitten

Ok im going to try this I hope it works. This is my baby girl Asia. Enjoy

<a href='http://server5.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=DSC00330.2.JPG' target='_blank'>http://server5.theimagehosting.com/image.p...=DSC00330.2.JPG</a>
<a href='http://server5.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=DSC00325.4.JPG' target='_blank'>http://server5.theimagehosting.com/image.p...=DSC00325.4.JPG</a>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:45 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

She's beautiful! :wub:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:50 pm 
The Real Boss

<!--QuoteBegin-Astrolaura+Jun 8 2005, 12:45 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Astrolaura @ Jun 8 2005, 12:45 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> She's beautiful! :wub: [/quote]
I Second that...her coat/pattern is so clear :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:36 pm 
what a gorgeous looking bengal.

very pretty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:11 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi all, thanks for all the great feed back and the nice things about Asia. Im so glad that I found this site. It has been very heplful and a little funny. Today in my down time I was reading old post and trying not to laugh out loud at work. :lol: I then realized that I have gone bengal crazy. :o Im hope you all have felt this at some point or are still feeling this way. Even when im really annoyed with her because she is climbing the walls, She does something so cute that I cant help but to pick her up and cuddle. I cant even remember what the house was like with out a little fur ball running around. I wouldnt have it any other way now. Thanks again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:12 pm 
The Boss

Awwwww!

She's just as cute as I imagined her to be! ;)

Who was she bred by?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:41 am 
Bengal Cat

Congratulations on the new kitten, she's a cutie!

I have two bengals, a six year old male and a one year old female. My male, Sampson, used to play fetch often until about 4 years old, then just grew tired of it. Mia started to fetch within two days of getting her home at 9 weeks old. She plays fetch more agressively than Sam ever did, even sliding on the floor into the wall chasing a ball into a corner. I know her youth is a factor, but she seems truly passionate about "the game".

A simple word of advice would be to purchase a bunch of different toys/balls of varying material (sponge, feathers, fabric, etc.), as my cats definitely both have had "favorites" for fetching.

Enjoy your new bengal. They're the best!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:38 pm 
Bengal Kitten

She was bred by Scott Houston you can visit his web site at www.camano-cats.com. THere are a few pics of asia on there too. We are working on fetching. I know she gets the concept, but we are not there yet. She had her first bath yesterday. She didnt really mind standing in the water but she wasnt real thrilled about it.