It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:15 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:10 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I just read the amazing 27 page story of Shell and her Bengal with white spotted feet. I have a story concerning a Bengal with white spotted feet that is almost the opposite. Here is my story:

I am a retired electrician/freelance photographer and I have been living in a motorhome living in the National Parks of America for the last 8 years. There is a link to my photos here if you are interested in the parks or birds. Anyhow I decided I wanted to get me a kitty to live with me in the motorhome since I am totally alone in this thing. I investigated cats and decided I wanted a Bengal, however I spent several months searching and could not find one that I could afford. It seems like they were very scare here in the southwest last winter and I couldn't find a decent one under $800, which I cannot afford at the moment, since I just had to replace my motorhome.

A good friend of mine knew I was looking for a kitten and found one for me. It had been abandoned in a car that was hauled to the junkyard and it was only about 6 weeks old and very weak. It looked like a dull grey tabby with white paws and a white bib. So I accepted him, named him Tarzan and started to beef him up a bit.

I have now had Tarzan for about 3 months and he is the light of my life. He is the best cat anyone could ever ask for. But the amazing thing is that when I got him he had two layers to his coat. The under layer was spotted like a Bengal and the upper layer was just plain grey and very thin. So thin you could see the under layer right through the upper layer. About a month ago the upper layer completely disappeared and left me with a Bengal with white paws.

When I first got Tarzan I thought he has a bit of a Bengal look to him, but I thought that I was just being overly optimistic. But since the upper layer of hair has disappeared I have a definite Bengal mix. My guess would be a Bengal mom and stray dad. My first indication that Tarzan really was a Bengal mix is that he has a lot of glitter all over him. He shines like the sun early in the morning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 6:05 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Tom--

I can't tell that Tarzan has Bengal in him from those pictures. :?

He's got some spots but I'm not sure what they are from. That is weird about the double coat. He might have the spots because he has another spotted breed in him? There's no telling.

He's cute and I'm so glad you took him into your life! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 6:27 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi :D

Cutie cat, but I also cannot see Bengal....

Just looks like a normal spotted tabby...a lovely one at that though :D

Welcome to the site x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:00 pm 
Bengal Cat

I have to agree with the above two posters. As gorgeous as he is, he doesn't look bengal to me.

But the only thing that matters is that he's perfect for you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:57 pm 
Bengal Kitten

So what other breeds of cats have glitter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:07 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

seilerbird wrote:
So what other breeds of cats have glitter?

:? glitter is just when the light hits the top shaft of the hair, your cat looks like a domestic shorthair, possibly medium hair. Moggies can get their spots from the American shorthair an some foreign breeds. The tabby, mackeral marking is a typical marking of moggies and they usually have white markings if they have been crossed with a black and white cat or tortie. Glitter on a Bengal is very different to glitter on a moggie. Moggies have a lovely sheen in the light which is nice. But Bengals have almost a silk like pelt that shimmers in low and high light. looks similar to satin or silk and is very fine. Some Asian decent moggies will have it on their paws.

aka The NO! ->

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:23 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I thought glitter was unique to Bengals only?? That is what i have read on many Bengal sites?

miki xx

Miki & My Beloved Bengals http://mybelovedbengals.blogspot.com/

Shiloh, Darcy, Rudy The Roodster & Ozzy...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:52 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

miki129 wrote:
I thought glitter was unique to Bengals only?? That is what i have read on many Bengal sites?

miki xx

particular type of glitter is yes. but what causes the glitter can be found in other breeds and cross breeds. but it's not defined like the Bengal glitter and tends to only be on the points. Usually in Asian/Orientals and in some ginger kitties. :)

aka The NO! ->

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:55 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

At the risk of being 'off topic' and a bit dim - what is 'glitter' per se?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:01 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Tom, Your kitty is gorgeous. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:15 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Sorry this is continuing the slightly off-topic jaunt.... :oops:

I just found this at http://hubpages.com/hub/_Bling_Bling_Be ... ds_Glitter

I'm not sure how 'official' a source of information it is.... but if anything, it's interesting.

Quote:
Not all Bengals are blessed with significant glitter but on the ones that are, it resembles golden or silvery flakes, and sometimes even copper. It's somewhat similar to sprinkling store-bought metallic sparkly glitter on your cat, except it's built right into the hair! It's especially striking on cats with a shorter, velvetier coat where the light can really get in there and do its stuff!

When glittery Bengals were first shown some judges tried to rub the glitter off with a cloth, as they were convinced that it was an artificial add-on that some savvy breeder had applied to the cat to make it stand out! Glitter flakes are regularly applied to their skin by young ladies on the way to a fun night the club and that's why Bengals are always ready to party! They come pre-equipped with party glitter!

On some snow Bengals the glitter effect appears as well, but on Snows it's more akin to a pearly dust! Very elegant!

There are basically two different types of glitters:

Mica (Gold-Tipped): This glitter affects the tips of the hairs only and produces its effect in reflective hair-tips. If you look at this under a microscope, you'll see that embedded right inside the very tip of each Bengal hair are what you would swear are tiny flecks of a reflective silicate crystal called mica.

Satin (Hollow-Air): It looks just like mica, but in this case it affects the whole hair shaft, refracting light and giving the coat a pearly effect which is also known as "oyster." Satin hair shafts contain many little pockets of air along their length which not only refract light all the way through but also give the coat a smooth, soft silkiness unlike any other cat fur you've ever touched. These air pockets can become elongated which makes the fur even softer and silkier.

Much like the Snow or Marble Bengal gene, glitter was at first concluded to be a recessive gene. More recent evidence seems to point to the possibility that glitter is actually an accumulative gene. An accumulative gene is a very precious asset to the breeder, since if you breed two kitties which are well-glittered, then the offspring will have even more glitter than Mom and Dad! Breeders can continue this process until we arrive at a Bengal cat which glitters so much we'll have to hand out sunglasses to everyone who passes by!

Glitter is a highly sought-after feature as the glitter gene can also help to produce the clearer coats with less ticking in new generations which breeders strive for. After all, any one of us would be honoured to be in the presence of the world's only truly undeniable effect of... Magic!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:23 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Did Shell ever get her money back from that horrible woman that ripped her off?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:35 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

vodkadaisylover wrote:
Did Shell ever get her money back from that horrible woman that ripped her off?

This is a 6 year old thread from someone who had a total of 2 posts in the forum!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:35 am 
Bengal Kitten

So? I have been reading old and new threads, was just curious that's all!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:36 am 
Bengal Kitten

Actually, there was 27 pages 6 years ago!