It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:54 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:57 am 
Bengal Kitten

( Sorry But I've Posted This in Several Areas of the Forum Because We Can Afford For Someone To Miss it Who May Be Able To Help.)

Hi,

I found your forum because my mother owns a 13 month male Bengal and it is sick.

Basically it started a month or two ago when her car started to pull it's own hair out, they couldn't figure out why all of a sudden he would just start doing it. So my parents asked around different breeders and vets and was told that it could be down the the litter that they are using and that the dusk might be irritating the cat.

So they were recommended various low dust litters and to bath the cat to try and remove any dust that may have built up.

They did this and a month of so has gone by the cat appeared to have stopped pulling out his hair and it was starting to grow back, great!

Well unfortunately my mother slipped up and couldn't get her normal low dust litter and had to settle for another low dust brand, after only a few days the cat started pulling at his hair again!

So they instantly took the littler away, washed him and though everything would be fine, well it wasn't.

A few days had passed which brings us to today and her cat was still not quite right so they took him to the vet where he was examined, they took a stool sample and also gave him his rabies injection, distemper injection and a dose of FrontLine.

While they were in the vet her cat threw up and once they got him home it seemed he couldn't control his bowels because he urinated on himself and threw up again etc...

By this time their normal vet had closed so they took him straight to the emergency vet where he was examined again and was told that his temperature had dropped and that this was not a good thing.

They are now keeping him in over night for observation and have him on an I.V so he doesn't dehydrate.

We are all terribly worried about what could be wrong with him because we have heard terribly stories of medication and treatments actually killing animals and I have also read online tonight that animals can go into anaphylactic shock from having a distemper shot.

If anyone can offer any insight to what could be wrong or if someone has gone through something like this with their Bengal please let us know.

Are Bengal's a sensitive breed? If there something we should tell the Vet to be aware of?

Chris.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:32 am 
Senior Bengal

Hi Chris,

I'm so sorry to hear about your bengal's condition. Unfortunately, I cannot help you, but have you contacted the breeder your mother purchased him from? You might be able to find out if other cats from his bloodline had a similar problem and s/he might be able to advise you better. I wish you, your mother and your bengal the best! I hope everything turns out alright. Keep us updated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:32 am 
Sorry to hear about your Mum's Bengal - hope he gets well soon.

You could perhaps try World's Best Cat Litter when he gets better - it is organic and doesn't create dust.