[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Giving pills/tablets
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:32 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Giving pills/tablets
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:30 pm 
Bengal Kitten

My two bengals are on a weeks course of antibiotics, they must take two pills per day, one in the morning and one in the evening.

This is turning into a total nightmare.

1. There is no way you can just pop the pill in their mouth and make them swallow, they will have absolutely none of this and i like my skin without canyons. I've seen various diagrams about how to best position the cat, (like the one where you are kneeling down with the cat inbetween your legs) to try and get them to swallow the pill, but it's just totally impossible to restrain them without hurting them as they struggle, squirm claw and bite so much.

2. They wont go near their food if you crush the pill up and mix it in.
We've tried tinned fish (mackerel, pilchards, tuna), raw chicken, butter, lard, rice pudding, various meat pastes, you think a cat will eat it, we've probably tried it. They have a really good sense of smell and just know the antibiotics is in it even if you put a tiny amount in a lot of food, even if you warm the food before hand or have it cold, basically they just know if there's antibiotics in food and they wont eat it.

3. We've tried crushing the pill up in some butter and putting it on their fur in the hope that they'll lick it off eventually... which they dont... they took one lick and just left it to go crusty and waited for it to fall off.

You might think my cats sound like absolute brutes, but they are increadibly loving, you can pick them up anytime, cuddle them put them on your shoulder, cradle them like babies and they'll never lash out or struggle to be put down. Try and give them some nasty tasting antibiotics and it's a totally different story.

Help!!

Does anyone have any tricks or suggestions on how to give pills to unwilling 14lb 10month old bengals?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:05 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi
You can get something from the vets which is a bit like a syringe. It holds the tablet then you put it in their mouth and then sort of release a trigger and the tablet goes straight in.

Hope this helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:01 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I can really sympathise with you having tried to give Indy half a worming tablet tonight. He miaowed like I was trying to kill him.

I'm sure the neighbours will be calling the RSPCA (not helped by the fact the night before he was stinky so I bathed him - for a Bengal he sure hates getting soggy!)

I found the best way is to corner him with my body, hold his scruff with my left hand and pop the tablet in th side of his mouth with my right (tablet and finger covered in butter). I think gloves and long sleeved shirts are also required.

Best of luck. It seems cruel but its crueler not to give them the medicine they need!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:59 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Aaron,

Ive been very lucky with giving my two pills when they've needed them,
Diego will quite happily let me hold him, open his mouth and pop it down his throat, Tia on the other hand is a complete devil, i have found that when
i feed her i just hide the tablet (whole) on the top of her food, i just hide it under a little bit of the jelly, this way she can't smell or taste it, it just gets eaten with the first couple of mouthfuls, give it a go, and i hope this helps :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:26 pm 
Bengal Cat

I've had great success using Pill Pockets. I place the table in it and pinch off all but what is needed to just cover the pill and to make a round little ball. I then place the ball in their moist food and they just gobble it up with the food. I think forming it into a easily swallowed ball and making it as small as possible so they don't try to bite it are the keys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:00 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:57 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I know many of you will have read this somewhere before. I just had to post it. It's SOOOO FUNNY :lol:

1. Pick up cat and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on each side of cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As cat opens mouth, pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.

2. Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat gently in left arm and repeat process.

3. Retrieve cat from bedroom, pick up and throw soggy pill away.

4.Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm, holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for count of ten.

5. Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call spouse in from garden.

6. Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, hold front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into cat's mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.

7. Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill out of foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep up shattered figurines and vases from hearth and set on one side for gluing later.

8. Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with head just visible from below armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force mouth open with a pencil and blow into drinking straw.

9. Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink glass of water to take taste away. Apply Band-Aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.

10. Retrieve cat from neighbor’s shed. Get another pill. Place cat in cupboard and close door just enough so that head is showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with plastic band.

11. Fetch screwdriver from garage and put cupboard door back on hinges. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus shot. Throw t-shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.

12. Call fire department to retrieve cat from tree across road. Apologize to neighbor who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take last pill from foil wrap.

13. Tie cat's front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table. Find heavy duty pruning gloves from shed. Push pill into mouth followed by a large piece of fillet steak. Hold head vertically and pour 2 pints of water down throat to wash pill down.

14. Get spouse to drive you to emergency room. Sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearms and removes pill from right eye. Call furniture shop on way home and order new dining table.

15. Arrange for RSPCA to collect cat and contact local pet shop to see if they have any hamsters :shock:

How To Pill a Dog

1. Wrap it in bacon.

Post subject: ?????im not really sure
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 5:57 am 
Bengal Kitten

im not really sure on how but while giving my [older] sisters cat a pill [ and i had her standing near by]
i put on a jersy and shut ourselves in the tinest room possible and i held doug my the scruff of the neck and gently forced his mouth open by useing my thumb and forefinger in the side of the mouth and popped the pill in his mouth...then [this is where my sis comes in] hold his mouth closed and massage down throat.........

also if possible use a past antibiotic if available..........[my wee acorn is going to have her last dose of a paste tonight]......these are simpler as cats usually like the taste and even if they dont they still eat it if u put it on your finger [with cat between legs] and lift its toop gum and rub on the cats gum,

i hoped this helps =)

:)

breanne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:06 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thats really funny Elaine - I've never seen that before!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:21 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Stella,

It's so funny isn't it....I posted it in February but haven't read it since then....It still makes me laugh.

Much easier to pill a dog :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:13 pm 
Senior Bengal

Post subject: Pills
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:44 pm 
Bengal Cat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:53 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Mikesch is supposed to get half a pill daily for five days. The first one went down without problems - he was too weak to put up much of a struggle, plus it was the first time he was pilled so probably he was taken by surprise and swallowed before he knew what was happening.

But his second one... oh boy... He was letting me know in no uncertain terms that he was not going to cooperate. I'm guessing his growls and meows meant: "Get yer stinkin' fingers outta my mouth! I don't need no nasty pill!" After spewing it back out at me twice, it was getting too mushy, so I crushed it up with some wet food and a little bit of water and filled it into a syringe. I then proceeded to try to squeeze the mix into his mouth. He made the most disgusted face and salivated profusely - I think it pretty much all ended up drooling down his chin and onto his chest. I'm not sure if anything made it into his stomach at all.

Anyway, the good news is that the vet says if he's feeling better, he might not need the other pills. I think we're both quite happy with that arrangement. :wink: