It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:02 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:22 am 
James, I'm truly sorry to hear such sad news. She was a beautiful little girl and you must be heartbroken - there really aren't any words that can help at a time like this, but my thoughts are with you and your family.

With best wishes

Teresa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:43 am 
Bengal Cat

Thank you for all your kind words. We are totally gutted that we had to end her life at 11 months. I am furious that her previous owners sold her to us knowing that she had this condition. We asked the vet if this would have been with her since birth, and he said "yes".

She didnt act like a normal Bengal - she was afraid, jittery and quiet. She wouldnt play with anything - Bengals are not like that!

James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:53 pm 
The Real Boss

Hi James

Firstly James I just want to say how sorry I am to hear about Sadie. I’ve just read your post and thought in hind site that perhaps it might have been worth contacting Sadie’s breeder as they are probably unaware of her situation…even if her illness has existed from birth, it’s likely that it didn’t “show itself” until later on. I say this, as I doubt the breeder would have allowed her to be adopted if she was showing any signs of illness.

It’s still worth letting them know as they may wish to discuss this with the original owners that they homed Sadie with.

As a breeder, I know I would like to hear about what has gone on.

Heidi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:23 pm 
James

I agree with Heidi - any good breeder will be very concerned at a health problem like Sadie's. I think you said she originally came from Bramblewood and as far as I know they are one of the more well established breeders in the UK (experienced members of the list can correct me if I'm wrong!). I'm sure they'd want to hear from you, although I appreciate that it would be distressing for you to contact them.

Best wishes

Teresa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:44 pm 
Bengal Cat

I emailed Peter at Bramblewood on Monday to let him know what Sadie is going through and to enquire if they have come across this with other cats from the same litter.
He replied and seemed a bit more concerned that Sadie was sold on without them knowing about it (apparently if a cat they sold needs to be rehomed, the owners are meant to contact them first).
He asked to be kept updated too.

This morning I emailed him to let him know that Sadie was put to sleep and what the vets had told us.
I have had no reply yet.

Like everyone else, I would have thought he would like to know what had happened especially when she wasn't even 11 months old.

I had been told some breeders guarentee their pets so if one should die from a medical condition within the first year of it's life, then they replace them. I don't know if Bramblewoods do that, or if they would honour it considering I dont have a contract with them.

I don't really want to speak to the previous owners again as they were quite nasty when we let them know Sadie wasn't doing too good - implying that WE caused it and that we cannot look after animals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:15 pm 
Oh dear - sorry that you had trouble with the previous owners - out of interest, why did they sell Sadie?

It's good that Peter has been in touch - let us know how you get on.

Best wishes

Teresa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:21 pm 
Bengal Cat

Well... they told me that they were moving from Devon to Cumbria and their new place won't allow 5 cats so they had to sell 2 of them.
We thought this was plausable - and they really wanted her to go to a good home, hence they sold her to us for £150 (they said they paid £750 for her).

Ho-Hum - Peter still has not replied.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:14 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

So sorry to hear the news.
Our thoughts are with you all.

Sleep well little sadie xx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:25 pm 
Senior Bengal

Sorry to hear of the loss of your little silver girl.
It is always heartbreaking when you lose a beloved pet.
It is unlikely that any breeder would honour a contract on a cat sold to someone else and most breeders will only replace a kitten if a post mortem is carried out to determine the cause of death.
I hope this doesn't sound harsh but without knowing if it is a condition that the cat was born with whose to say how or why the cat became ill or injured.
She may well have been ill/injured when sold to you.
Do you have the name of the previous owner's vet to see if she had been examined at any point ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:08 pm 
Bengal Cat

I asked them for the vet's details and was told to look on the innoculation sheet. We never got a chance to call them due to how quickly everything happened.

James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:52 pm 
Senior Bengal

I would expect the innoculation details to be from Bramblewood's vet as reputable breeders do not normally release kittens to their new homes before these are done. That way the kittens get 2 vet checks and should be healthy at that point.
The vaccination certificate will have the address of the vets in question and it should give you the answer as to who had them vaccinated by the location. If it is near to the breeders then that would indicate that they had the kitten vet checked and she was healthy at point of sale. It wont tell you whether or not the previous owners took the kitten to a vet near them because of ill health/ injury etc.

Regards

Liz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:42 am 
Bengal Cat

Thanks Liz

Peter at Bramblewoods emailed me last night. We both agree that while he would not release a kitten if it was in ill health, it does sound like Sadie developed this condition whilst in the care of her previous owners.
Sadie was checked over before being sold and appeared to be fine. It was extremely dishonest of her previous owners to sell her on knowing she was not well.

Sadie was a beautiful cat and we are looking to introduce a new one into our lives around end of march, early April.

James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:57 am 
Senior Bengal

Hi James,

Sorry you have had to experience this heartbreak and good luck with your new arrival.

Regards

Liz