It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:31 pm 
Bengal Cat

Hey guys, I have two Bengals (Minkah who is spotted and Turi who is marbled). Since we have gotten them Turi has really battled with loose stools. They have been to vet a number of times costing me an absurd amount of money between the visits and medicine.

They were both diagnosed with Giardia and Coccidia. We cleared the coccidia but haven't cured the giardia. Our last round with panacur was 6ml of Panacur per day for 10 days! Our house is covered in white speckles of panacur as they hate it, not mention us for grabbing them 6 times a day to shoot this into them.

The panacur didn't clear up Turi's loose stools. Minka has been ok pretty much throughout the 3 months we have owned him, but giving the medicine to him anyway for fear that they are passing back and forth. So we then gave them 3 days of Drontol Plus to finally kill this thing. Well Turi still has diahorea! He's going to the vet next friday.

Could we have killed the giardia but he still has problems. We feed them Hill's sensitive stomach dry food and Hill's ID wet food - half a can per day for the two of them.

Turi also weighs over 10lbs at 6 months and Minkah is at 9lbs. They are both very energitic and Turi especially likes to eat. Please help, I can't take much more diahorea in my life and I feel terrible about him. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:08 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I know this is a difficult thing to deal with, and I'm so sorry your kitties have been having tummy problems.

The FIRST thing I would do is start giving them a food with MUCH lower amounts of GRAIN -- Particularly CORN -- which is very hard on their digestive systems. Unfortunately Hills seems to have a lot of corn in ALL of their food products, and my cats get loose stools, when I was trying to feed my older DSH rescue the Hills, as suggested by my vet.

I use Royal Canin Siamese 38, Innova EVO, and Mazuri (usually a bowl of each, since I have multiple cats). All of these foods have much lower grain content, higher protein content, and is tolerated much better by cats with sensitive tummies.

Also, if you're trying to give them meds, try to talk your vet into getting pills. My vet gives me the 0 size (very very small) gelcaps, and I cut the pills into quarters, and put them in the gelcaps, so they don't TASTE the pill. MUCH faster and neater than trying to give them liquids.

I've only had coccidia, once, with two of my cats, and my vet prescribed the generic for Flagyl. (I can't remember the scientific name, but it's something like metronizolide -- maybe some of the breeders on the list can give you the "correct" name.) She said the pills are VERY BITTER and suggested the gelcaps. They worked like a DREAM!

It cleared my cats very quickly and their stools have been firm, ever since, except when they got into Tiger's "Hills" food.

I wish you luck and your kitties good health!