It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:17 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:30 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I have had my bengal for a year now, he has had diarhea off and on the whole time, tried Iams like the breeder, then Royal canin sensitive now he is on hill's ID. Well he managed to go from 9lbs down to 6.5 very upsetting. Had blood and urine work done. The blood shows a very high protein. My vet is researching trying to figure out what is going on. I am very worried. He doesn't have loss of appetite. Constantly meowing to be fed. He has a bowl of dry food available at all times and a feed him wet food through out the day. Anybody have any thoughts??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:33 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Sorry to hear this. Bengals do have very sensitive stomachs. When mine go through a phase of the runs I tend to feed a plain diet such as white chicken or fish but this wouldn't really help you given he has really high protein levels.

He has lost a third of his bodyweight so this seems pretty serious to me. Have you tried FAB (feline advisory bureau). They are really helpful (you should be able to google them). Other than that I would probably get a second opinion if you find that your vet is not having much luck in diagnosing whats going on.

Sorry I'm not of much help. Hope things turn out ok for you and your boy. Please keep us posted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:19 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi

various wet cat foods (all the household brands) can affect cat in so many ways due to addatives/taurine levels etc. i personally would avoid these short term especially the ones in gravy and just try them on the raw diet as it worked for me.
you can get get 2.5kg bags of raw chicken mince from pets at home in the freezer, also you could try some normal lambs mince and raw chicken wings unblanched.
worming on a raw diet is a must - more so than normal only the stated dose but never miss the worming cycle!
the bengal has kept many of its ancestoral habits including some feeding habits,in the wild nothing is cooked!
after reading my response i dont want it to sound pompous but i typed as it was coming in my head! :D
good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:56 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I have been thinking about the raw diet. Any good book or web site recommendations?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:44 pm 
The Boss

Do you keep changing foods?

He really needs to stay on one kind of food for atleast 2-3 weeks and if he solids-up then gradually change over.

He may have a kind of IBS (Irritable bowel syndrome) so swapping and changing will just make him worse. Our stud suffered from very loose stools for some time after we imported him, maybe the stress of the flight over here or maybe it was the change of food....god only knows!

Anyways we tried everything (Hills ID & Royal Canin sensitive made him worse) and we also had bloods taken along with samples of the stools tested, nothing came up in the results.

However after some advice from another breeder we put him on Iams hairball and nothing else (no treats either :cry: ), and after about 4 weeks he started to show improvements.....now he is perfectly regular and solid again! :wink:

Its worth a try if nothing else is working

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:07 pm 
Bengal Kitten

You know it is funny I had him on the IAMS hairball, which my breeder also recommend and I put him at a cat retreat while I was away one weekend. The woman breated me for using this food. So I felt bad and put him on the "more expensive" stuff but even then he had problems. Yes I do gradually change his food. He has been a certain food for awhile. But we changed him again after he went from 9lbs to 6.5lbs. Apparently his protein very high and I don't know the exact terms but it is seeping out of his digest tract. I just worry about him he is my special little man. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:22 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Well I am going to try the raw diet, just talked with my vet. If this doesn't help he suggests the nearest vet school. Were they can run lots of test right there. But if anyone can give me a recipe they use that works well, I would love that! Thanks for the help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:09 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

hi again

personally i do the following =

water and biscuits down all day
a bowl of chicken mince (raw) in the morning and one in the evening.
dont leave it down to long as it will go off especially in the heat.
you will get to see how much he is eating so you will know how much to put down.
maybe in a few days you could try some cooked chicken breast (iceland already chopped!) as a little treat , but i would steer clear of all wet food at the moment.
hope this helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:56 pm 
The Boss

Raw chicken wings put through a blender seems quite popular too.....this way they get all the goodness!

Its worth noting that if you buy the pet mince you get teeth, bones etc etc, which is what they need rather than just meat (as in mince for human consumption).....you could add taurine and calcium suppliments to your own mix, but a ready made one would be far less time consuming to prepare.

Post subject: hope this helps
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:32 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hi
Im new here but after reading about your cat's problem it sounded a lot like one of my cat who has IBS , when the vet was at lost for help for him cause he had diarreha and gas all the time and meowing like he was in pain. After doing some research I found out about a product called FortiFlora that you just sprinkle on his food. This stuff is great he hasn't lost any weight and is stool is now normal.

Hope this helps
NZ