It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:42 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:26 am 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:59 am
Posts: 4129
Location: Leicestershire, UK
I can tell you are still upset because you have not really understood what i have told you so i will say it again.
  • TF (Tritrichamonas Foetus) is treatable. Most cats will be completely clear after treatment. Some cats in a minority, Ronidazole will not work for but that is a small percentage.
  • The only reliable test is a PCR (polymerase chain reaction) or a QPCR which is a newer machine. This is the only test that should be used. It looks for the DNA of the parasite and so it will be there even if the sample has died.
  • The sample must be taken from loose/runny/soft poo.
  • It must be taken over 24 hour period sampled from several poo's. You can store it in the fridge in between scoops.
  • The sample must only be taken 1 week after finishing pancur and/or antibiotics or any other wormer.
  • Ronidazole is the only treatment for TF. The current recommended dose is 30mg per kg once daily for 14 days although young kittens may be better on 10mg per kg once daily for 14 days.
  • You cannot buy it online in the UK but i do not know about the US. It is highly recommended NOT to dose without a confirmed positive because it has some very nasty side effects which can be dangerous. These side effects are greatly reduced now the dosage has been refined which is why it's so important to base the calculation on each kittens individual weight as close to dispensing the drug as possible. Please do not second guess the diagnosis without a confirmed positive. The last thing we need is TF becoming resistent to Ronidazole by inappropriate administration.
  • If you are worried about whether the TF is still there after treatment, wait 1 month and test again by the same method.


Once infected with TF you are NOT a carrier, it is very likely Ronidazole will clear it. That should not be the end of breeding. However, i do not think you really are breeding for the right reasons if you just want to have a litter... you have to do all the research and screening tests i mentioned before.

WHen the breeder said it was a parasite that he got from the mom, she could easily have been referring to worms as that it's quite normal. That is why people worm cats often and kittens very often. That alone does not make her bad. It also does not mean that she was referring to TF as the two are very different.

What i advise you do:
  1. Feed you kittens plain boiled chicken for a few days to settle the tummy. Maybe add some pumpkin boiled/pureed(natural cooked, unsweetened)
  2. Take them to the vets for a check up, maybe check their poo for the normal things a vet tests for (BUT NOT TF yet)
  3. Do not treat anything or give antibiotics as yet, try and wait a week, 5 days if you cannot manage a week.
    Unless the vet is really concerned for the health of the kittens. If you do treat with antibiotics you will have to wait a week after finishing them to test for TF. You can choose to test now but if it comes back negative you will not know if they really do not have it or if it's the antibiotics masking it.
  4. Confine your kittens to a safe room so that it minimises the spread around your home and will help with the cleaning for you.
  5. Do try to stop panicking. I know what it's like to have TF in your house but it is treatable


Things i would point out:

Did you take your new kitten to a vet within the first 72hrs? I ask because often the breeder will stress that you should do this in order to maintain the 'guarentee'.

If you are considering legal action please consider these points:

It is recommended not to introduce new kittens to existing house cats until they have settling in and clear from a health perspective. Unfortunately you didn't follow that. Now, you may not have been advised this but it is around on the net and if it does go to court they will likely argue this :( YOu may end up with an expensive court case.

It is possible that it isn't TF and it is worms/giardia. Then treatment with panacur and maybe Metronidazole will help. I would want to rule out TF first though.

Read that fact sheet i linked to in my other post as it has some very easy to understand information. You can also print it out to give to your vet.

_________________
Lollo
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:09 am 
Offline
Bengal Kitten

Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 11:21 pm
Posts: 9
Thank you again so much. today i have talked to two vets, who think that there is a high possibility that the reason why our female is vomiting and is acting the way she is, is because is she overdosing on the pancour the breeder gave us. so now we are needing to give them a stool sample. looking for the giardia, coccidia and possible coronivirus. then if they are negative.. we will go fourth with the testing with the TF. but first we want to see what is going on and get them medicated. The Vet Dr I talked to today said even with all of it we can still breed, but they need to be tested and medicated and wait for this long process to be over with. Thank you so much for all of your help,. i will try to keep you updated. we wrote the breeder and told her were keeping our boy and taking him to the vet rather then letting him give her the care and she basically asked for the vet records, which i wont give her if she wont pay for them or help. she basically said it in a nice way of saying f off. :( sad since she is suppose to be a life time mentor. oh well.. I dont know how to put a picture up here, but this is our babies. i wanted you to see what they looked like, they are beautiful, i wish i knew how to make them into the signatures like everyone else so people can see them. :)

http://s1060.photobucket.com/albums/t45 ... C02590.jpg


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:07 am 
Offline
Bengal Kitten

Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:02 am
Posts: 2
Giardia is often misdiagnosed for TF.

Does this mean when the lab comes back from the Elisa test and reports Giardia, it might not have been Giardia at all? I had a elisa test report giardia.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:08 pm 
Offline
Bengal Kitten

Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:22 pm
Posts: 8
Today is the last day my kitten is on Ronidizole for TF treatment. He does still have diarrhea that is dripping from his bum though. How long should I expect for this to continue? His diarrhea frequency has gone way down and the very foul smell has gone away but he still has loose stools. I cannot leave him to wander the house without constantly checking him. He does NOT like being cooped up in the back room when we cannot constantly watch him and I am just curious if there is actually an end in sight? He lets out a big cry everytime i have to wipe his bum and honestly it's getting really old. I have 2 children still in diapers and 3 yr old who I still have to wipe...i really would love to eliminate one butt i'm wiping!!!!!!!!!!! ugh. Any input on people's experiences with the treatment and the time frame that it completely got better would be appreciated! I have read a ton about TF but nothing seems to ever say how fast treatment should work! Thanks so much. I appreciate any input!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:11 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:08 pm
Posts: 2927
Location: West Midlands, UK
awww poor boy :( have you stuck to the same food throughout the treatment? fortunately ive never had to deal with TF here but there are members who have who am sure can offer you more advice.

_________________
Image
Image
BBUKU Website


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:24 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:59 am
Posts: 4129
Location: Leicestershire, UK
To be honest, all of mine cleared up half way through the treatment.

Have you been keeping on top of the litter tray cleaning? Do you have other pets? I would be retesting him after a week (possibly 2) off Ronidazole if this continues.

Sorry.

_________________
Lollo
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:50 pm 
Offline
Bengal Kitten

Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:22 pm
Posts: 8
Halfway through treatment?! Awh, man...I was hoping this was normal! Since treatment started (actually before too) I have scooped the litter twice a day and have changed it every other day. The frequency of diarrhea is down and the really foul smell is also gone but he is still having diarrhea and it is still leaking out of his butt so he leaves little smear marks wherever he sits (so gross!). He's pretty much been stuck in the backroom of our basement, unless I can constantly watch him to know where he goes or to keep wiping his butt so he won't get our couches or anything. I feel terrible for him. He has been on the same food the entire treatment and we have no other pets. This has been a nightmare! Never in a million years did I think I'd have such issues with a cat! The kids and I love this spunky little guy to death but it stinks we haven't been able to enjoy him as much as we could because I can't have poop marks all over my house! Never a dull moment I suppose! Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it! :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:03 pm 
Offline
Senior Bengal
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:21 am
Posts: 56
Location: UK
Hi my kitten has just been diagnosed with TF. He has had diarrhoea for weeks and he's so fed up of it. We have his brother too who seems fine and has no symptoms. The vet is telling me TF is quite an individual thing and it is common for some cats to have it and not others and his brother should be fine if he has no symptoms. However, I have read it can lie dormant and don't want to have one cat treated only for it to come back and catch it again off the other.
The vet says he won't treat the brother without a positive test but I don't want to have to wait another week. I asked about this at the time and they said it wasn't necessary.

Any advice? Should I just take them both to another vet who will treat them both or is my vet right??

Thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:19 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:59 am
Posts: 4129
Location: Leicestershire, UK
TF is very easy to catch. Some cats cope with the infection better than others. It is highly likely that your other cat has it. I would say it is quite unlikely for the other cat to be negative.

If you were to only treat 1 cat, the only thing I can advise is you isolate both cats during treatment. That we you will know that the TF cat is not going to infect (assuming your other cat is negative) before the 2 weeks is up. Then introduce them back together and see if the TF returns in your treated cat.

Personally, I would treat both. I think it is foolish to treat 1 and not at least test the other (which should be done prior to treatment). Then you must separate them, otherwise it is possible for TF to be passed back and forth making treatment pointless.

I would test the other cat, I would wait for treatment (another week won't make much difference in the grand scheme of things). I would actually just treat the other cat, but your vet is unwilling! which is a shame in a way. They do not see that knowledgable about TF so are making assumptions based on incomplete knowledge.

It is also hard to get a positive result from firm poo, as TF can be dormant in those with no symptoms. You could always add a tiny bit of the poo from the cat that is positive in order to get a positive result. You might end up treating a cat that is negative but that is a very low risk to be honest. But it's easy for me to say that and it's up to you what decision you take. The vet can do a fecal loop sample which can be more accurate in those with firm poo but not always.

You can ask advice from Langfords in Bristol.

Ronidazole is the only drug that will help. It often takes a few days at least to get as it is made up in 1 lab in the UK (I assumed you were UK based but I don't know now). The dose is 30 - 50mg per kg in 1 daily dose for 2 weeks. Keeping to the lower end 30mg is best but the range is what is now recommended after it has been used for a while. This range has helped to reduce the possible side effects. These are mostly neurological and are ostly reversible once the drug has stopped. Play with your cat at the same time each day with an interactive toy like DaBird or Feather Frenzy. This will allow you to assess their coordination and motor skills. If you are concerned about their ability, if you see it deteriorate, contact your vet ASAP.

It comes in a capsule that must be given whole. Do not open it to sprinkle on food as it is really bitter. It is designed to be absorbed in the stomach when the capsule has dissolved. There used to be a liquid in the US but this is not recommended anymore.

Hope this helps.

_________________
Lollo
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:37 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:18 am
Posts: 1357
Location: Hampshire
I second treating both cats.
One of mine showed the symptons much more than the other. Both had positive test results.

It is very likely that if one cat in your household has it, the other one will too. Its so easily spread through the litter trays its not worth just treating the cat who is showing symptoms. The other cat if left untreated can pass it back to the other one.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:16 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:38 pm
Posts: 110
Location: lossiemouth
Just out of interest - I am in Uk, what is cost of a PCR test? Also, if a vet refuses to treat a positive result with the recommended treatment, (due to it being unlicensed in cats) is it possible to apply for the medication yourself? Basically, is it only a vet that can order the medication? Many thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:23 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:59 am
Posts: 4129
Location: Leicestershire, UK
clairemacg wrote:
Just out of interest - I am in Uk, what is cost of a PCR test? Also, if a vet refuses to treat a positive result with the recommended treatment, (due to it being unlicensed in cats) is it possible to apply for the medication yourself? Basically, is it only a vet that can order the medication? Many thanks

My vet charged £55 for the PCR. Unfortunately, only a vet prescription will get Ronidazole. If they refuse, ask them to talk with Langfords in Bristol regarding treatment. Failing that, ask for a printout or cipy of the result and go to another vets to ask for Ronidazole.

_________________
Lollo
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:45 am 
Offline
Senior Bengal
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:21 am
Posts: 56
Location: UK
Hi thanks for the advice. I paid £100 for the faecal test.
I have spoken to another local vet who will treat both cats so I am going to do this. Will let you know how they get on!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:55 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:59 am
Posts: 4129
Location: Leicestershire, UK
I, personally, think this is the way to go.

Fingers crossed for you..... do let us know how you are getting on.

_________________
Lollo
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:07 pm 
Offline
Senior Bengal
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:21 am
Posts: 56
Location: UK
Found out today they also have campylobacter. Getting the medication for this on Monday and the TF medication has been ordered - £85 per cat. Can't wait for them to both be better!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by meemonkey