[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Tritrichomonas Foetus (A cause of diarrhoea in cats)
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:18 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:26 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:09 am 
Bengal Kitten

Thank you again so much. today i have talked to two vets, who think that there is a high possibility that the reason why our female is vomiting and is acting the way she is, is because is she overdosing on the pancour the breeder gave us. so now we are needing to give them a stool sample. looking for the giardia, coccidia and possible coronivirus. then if they are negative.. we will go fourth with the testing with the TF. but first we want to see what is going on and get them medicated. The Vet Dr I talked to today said even with all of it we can still breed, but they need to be tested and medicated and wait for this long process to be over with. Thank you so much for all of your help,. i will try to keep you updated. we wrote the breeder and told her were keeping our boy and taking him to the vet rather then letting him give her the care and she basically asked for the vet records, which i wont give her if she wont pay for them or help. she basically said it in a nice way of saying f off. :( sad since she is suppose to be a life time mentor. oh well.. I dont know how to put a picture up here, but this is our babies. i wanted you to see what they looked like, they are beautiful, i wish i knew how to make them into the signatures like everyone else so people can see them. :)

http://s1060.photobucket.com/albums/t45 ... C02590.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:07 am 
Bengal Kitten

Giardia is often misdiagnosed for TF.

Does this mean when the lab comes back from the Elisa test and reports Giardia, it might not have been Giardia at all? I had a elisa test report giardia.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:08 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Today is the last day my kitten is on Ronidizole for TF treatment. He does still have diarrhea that is dripping from his bum though. How long should I expect for this to continue? His diarrhea frequency has gone way down and the very foul smell has gone away but he still has loose stools. I cannot leave him to wander the house without constantly checking him. He does NOT like being cooped up in the back room when we cannot constantly watch him and I am just curious if there is actually an end in sight? He lets out a big cry everytime i have to wipe his bum and honestly it's getting really old. I have 2 children still in diapers and 3 yr old who I still have to wipe...i really would love to eliminate one butt i'm wiping!!!!!!!!!!! ugh. Any input on people's experiences with the treatment and the time frame that it completely got better would be appreciated! I have read a ton about TF but nothing seems to ever say how fast treatment should work! Thanks so much. I appreciate any input!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:11 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

awww poor boy :( have you stuck to the same food throughout the treatment? fortunately ive never had to deal with TF here but there are members who have who am sure can offer you more advice.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:24 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

To be honest, all of mine cleared up half way through the treatment.

Have you been keeping on top of the litter tray cleaning? Do you have other pets? I would be retesting him after a week (possibly 2) off Ronidazole if this continues.

Sorry.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:50 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Halfway through treatment?! Awh, man...I was hoping this was normal! Since treatment started (actually before too) I have scooped the litter twice a day and have changed it every other day. The frequency of diarrhea is down and the really foul smell is also gone but he is still having diarrhea and it is still leaking out of his butt so he leaves little smear marks wherever he sits (so gross!). He's pretty much been stuck in the backroom of our basement, unless I can constantly watch him to know where he goes or to keep wiping his butt so he won't get our couches or anything. I feel terrible for him. He has been on the same food the entire treatment and we have no other pets. This has been a nightmare! Never in a million years did I think I'd have such issues with a cat! The kids and I love this spunky little guy to death but it stinks we haven't been able to enjoy him as much as we could because I can't have poop marks all over my house! Never a dull moment I suppose! Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it! :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:03 pm 
Senior Bengal

Hi my kitten has just been diagnosed with TF. He has had diarrhoea for weeks and he's so fed up of it. We have his brother too who seems fine and has no symptoms. The vet is telling me TF is quite an individual thing and it is common for some cats to have it and not others and his brother should be fine if he has no symptoms. However, I have read it can lie dormant and don't want to have one cat treated only for it to come back and catch it again off the other.
The vet says he won't treat the brother without a positive test but I don't want to have to wait another week. I asked about this at the time and they said it wasn't necessary.

Any advice? Should I just take them both to another vet who will treat them both or is my vet right??

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:19 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

TF is very easy to catch. Some cats cope with the infection better than others. It is highly likely that your other cat has it. I would say it is quite unlikely for the other cat to be negative.

If you were to only treat 1 cat, the only thing I can advise is you isolate both cats during treatment. That we you will know that the TF cat is not going to infect (assuming your other cat is negative) before the 2 weeks is up. Then introduce them back together and see if the TF returns in your treated cat.

Personally, I would treat both. I think it is foolish to treat 1 and not at least test the other (which should be done prior to treatment). Then you must separate them, otherwise it is possible for TF to be passed back and forth making treatment pointless.

I would test the other cat, I would wait for treatment (another week won't make much difference in the grand scheme of things). I would actually just treat the other cat, but your vet is unwilling! which is a shame in a way. They do not see that knowledgable about TF so are making assumptions based on incomplete knowledge.

It is also hard to get a positive result from firm poo, as TF can be dormant in those with no symptoms. You could always add a tiny bit of the poo from the cat that is positive in order to get a positive result. You might end up treating a cat that is negative but that is a very low risk to be honest. But it's easy for me to say that and it's up to you what decision you take. The vet can do a fecal loop sample which can be more accurate in those with firm poo but not always.

You can ask advice from Langfords in Bristol.

Ronidazole is the only drug that will help. It often takes a few days at least to get as it is made up in 1 lab in the UK (I assumed you were UK based but I don't know now). The dose is 30 - 50mg per kg in 1 daily dose for 2 weeks. Keeping to the lower end 30mg is best but the range is what is now recommended after it has been used for a while. This range has helped to reduce the possible side effects. These are mostly neurological and are ostly reversible once the drug has stopped. Play with your cat at the same time each day with an interactive toy like DaBird or Feather Frenzy. This will allow you to assess their coordination and motor skills. If you are concerned about their ability, if you see it deteriorate, contact your vet ASAP.

It comes in a capsule that must be given whole. Do not open it to sprinkle on food as it is really bitter. It is designed to be absorbed in the stomach when the capsule has dissolved. There used to be a liquid in the US but this is not recommended anymore.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:37 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I second treating both cats.
One of mine showed the symptons much more than the other. Both had positive test results.

It is very likely that if one cat in your household has it, the other one will too. Its so easily spread through the litter trays its not worth just treating the cat who is showing symptoms. The other cat if left untreated can pass it back to the other one.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:16 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Just out of interest - I am in Uk, what is cost of a PCR test? Also, if a vet refuses to treat a positive result with the recommended treatment, (due to it being unlicensed in cats) is it possible to apply for the medication yourself? Basically, is it only a vet that can order the medication? Many thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:23 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:45 am 
Senior Bengal

Hi thanks for the advice. I paid £100 for the faecal test.
I have spoken to another local vet who will treat both cats so I am going to do this. Will let you know how they get on!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:55 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I, personally, think this is the way to go.

Fingers crossed for you..... do let us know how you are getting on.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:07 pm 
Senior Bengal

Found out today they also have campylobacter. Getting the medication for this on Monday and the TF medication has been ordered - £85 per cat. Can't wait for them to both be better!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next