[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Tritrichomonas Foetus (A cause of diarrhoea in cats)
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:11 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

If UK based, Idexx lab do a full fecal PCR screen.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:27 am 
Bengal Kitten

My kitten is about 16 weeks and she came out positive for Trichomonas which is very horrible. The breeders weren't quite honest about their cattery and I feel like now we have to be punished for her sickness. Went to vet & they gave us antibiotics & and paste for the poop but it's still not better. Has mucus & blood... Going back to vet on the 17th but I am also pregnant and have a 1 year old. Wondering if she's contagious to us after she poops and comes to sit on the things and locks herself? Help!?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:43 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

TF is not contagious, so don't worry from that perspective. Though you should wear gloves if purposefully handling litter etc...

The only treatment for TF is Ronidazole. Anything else will not kill it. I believe the dose recommended is 30mg per kg per day in one dose... For 14 days.

No other antibiotic will treat TF so is wasting time, energy and money.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:13 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I am so sorry about Minx. This is not pleasant to have to deal with and hate that the breeder was not honest with you. A few members here have had to deal with this. Being pregnant, you should be wearing gloves anyway any time to clean the litter box. Clearing up Tritrichomonas takes some time. Trust me, it's not fun for the kitty either. Hang in there. Congratulations on the upcoming baby.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:10 pm 
Bengal Cat

I looked it up before and found references to a couple different cases where humans were infected.
There was two different people I found who had been infected but both were immune compromised with HIV.

So that would make me nervous personally if I had a very young child since they haven't fully developed an immune system yet.
but

That said my cat has TF and Ronidazole treatment (twice) failed and I have a moderate genetic immune system disorder.
As far as I know, I haven't gotten any stomach issues and he sleeps curled up next to my face most nights -_-

Goes without saying, make sure your vet prescribed ronidazole
it works for most tf pos cats, but if he/she didnt order it from a compounding pharmacy (takes a few days) then he/she didn't prescribe you the right medicine.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:14 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Rally, I am so sorry to hear your cat has this. It takes a while to clear it up. Hope all goes well with your kitty.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:42 pm 
Bengal Cat

As some of you might have seen on other threads my two young Bengals have TF. They came from the breeder with runny poo and she used the usual excuses of diet / environment change. It took weeks of tests and vet visits to get it diagnosed, numerous costs that are not claimable on insurance and hours and hours of my time.

To be honest I am furious that they are continuing to sell kittens to unsuspecting owners who will all have to go through the same long process to get a diagnosis, some might not even get there!

The ronidazol failed to make any difference to my cats and I'm currently looking at ways I can make a second attempt at it effective, extremely difficult with two cats and a puppy...

So for now we are living with the utterly dire stench of the TF poo.... quite an amazingly bad smell... and having to clean the litter box out multiple times per day! I am spending a small fortune on good quality cat litter...

I do wish I had been aware of this earlier. Breeders who continue to sell kittens knowingly should be shut down and be forced to have all their cats sterilised... they are essentially sending trillions of TF cells into the cat population which is unethical and could affect 1000s of cats.

Being a dedicated cat lover I'd never give up on the cats... but others might... who's going to re home a large Bengal cat who continually squits foul smelling chocolate sauce with little chance of a cure..

These breeders should be utterly ashamed of themselves..

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:37 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Totally agree with you.

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:57 pm 
Senior Bengal

Hello. So I read this whole tread. My Bengal Larry has gone through three rounds of anti biotics for a chest infection as well as three treatments of Advantage Multi for ear and nasal mites. He was VERY underweight from being allergic to his food. I had switched him to Orijen about 2 days after I got him mixing it with his old food till just Orijen was all that was left. Larry has been great now!! Very energetic and social he's sleeping less and isn't tilting his head. He seems really happy now. But my vet thinks he may have T- foetus because of his chronic diarrhea. The doctor told me this test would be $125 to test for. They haven't gotten back about what the cost of treatment is. I am in canada. Is anyone from Canada that has had this treatment? What price am I looking at to treat one cat?

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:07 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

It's worth it for $125 in my opinion. My vet wouldn't test for it because it is "extremely rare" in her opinion.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:20 pm 
Senior Bengal

Really. I am so sad for Larry. He's been through so much. I am also afraid of the cost of treatment.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:13 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I think it is important to test for TF. If it comes back clear, GREAT. At least now you know. I'm setting up an ultrasound for Raiden due to his soft stools. It's not diarrhea really. He had a perfectly formed stool yesterday morning. In the afternoon, it was a puddle of mustard. I'm paying over $300 to have this done so they can look at the intestines and see if they spot anything. Raiden is eating like a pig but losing weight. All lab work came back normal, no parasites in the stool sample I brought them. It could be food allergies or Irritable Bowl Disease (my vet calls it Inflammatory Bowl Disease). Regardless, we will be checking out everything. It's not fun for a cat to drip things out. It's not normal, so I hope you allow your vet to run some tests to find out what is going on.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:01 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:55 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

My two had it, one gave to another. Test came positive for one and negative for another and we went ahead and treated both. The reason being is that the parasites shed every few days so hard to catch when they do as mine went from slightly firmer poop to runny. But I knew something has happened. They even soiled themselves and this never happened. Also, you need to get the poop to your vet and they need to speed up sending to the lab as parasites die within 24hours I think and you may get false negative result. Sadly, you have to go through the vet, at least I did few years ago as the lab would not let me send it myself.

I had to find out about it and tell my vet and be firm with the vet as they will give you useless antibiotics which will do nothing. If you are in the UK, antibiotics will need to be ordered from USA. It's called ronidazole. My cats went on it (has to be done as per weight) and we had a problem pilling one of them so I extended the course when I saw runny poop again. Once they went on it, they got better and never had a problem since. I gave them slippery elm in food after the treatment to help recuperate.

Chances are your vet will not know or be interested in finding out how to deal with it. I had to research myself and tell mine. Also sometimes this gets passed by a mother to kittens and gets triggered by stress so your breeder may not have known anything was wrong as cats can have it but show no symptoms too.

This may help
http://vetmed.tamu.edu/gilab/service/as ... richomonas

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:25 pm 
Bengal Kitten

This might be a TMI question, but can anyone describe the smell of the diarrhea? My girl has had diarrhea for over a week and it's got what I would call a pungent meaty smell. There have been no changes to her diet and no stressful or new events in her life.

Thank you!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8