It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:37 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:25 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

hi,

My Momo is 5 months 11 days old, and it looks like he is getting in adult teeth, but on the top of his mouth it seems odd. He now has 2 canines on each side, making a total of 6 in his mouth. It looks weird to have 2 fangs, so I am unsure if this is normal, semi-normal or abnormal? and maybe the baby set of canines will fall out. But they are both about the same size, and I have noticed his canines are much larger than they were(even when he had just one) about a week ago. Does anyone know if this is normal?

There is no doubt these extra canines are new, that's why I think possibly it has something to do with adult teeth coming in, but any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by gordong11 on Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:12 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

It sounds like the adult teeth took a different pathway and therefore didn't push the baby ones out. Are they loose? If not, keep and eye on it for a week or so and see if they get loose on their own. If not, then you may have to get the Vet to remove them. It is unusual, but that happens in the human world too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:32 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

The exact same thing happen with my dog. So when he was under anaesthetic for neutering the vet took out the baby teeth.
Your vet may well do the same :)

Katie xx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:01 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thanks. They aren't loose as of yet, but I will definitely keep an eye on. He was neutered last week unfortunately. I work from home so I spend lots of time with him, so that's how I know its new. I actually posted a question about his teeth being small a few weeks ago, in the discussion topic, and he had single but small canines then. I hope everything is ok, but he playing and eating normally now. If the baby set of canines were smaller, I would feel a bit better, but they are both the same size.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:06 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

This is quite a common thing. Two sets for a while. Normally, the kitten teeth fall out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:13 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

There seems to be some irritation going on (redness) I would definitely stay on this. If the redness gets worse, take him to the Vet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:13 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

My Tonks both had 2 sets of canines for a week maybe... baby teeth fell out one by one... so he should be fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:19 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

manic cats wrote:
This is quite a common thing. Two sets for a while. Normally, the kitten teeth fall out

You just made my day, I've been awake all night, unable to sleep. It really has me distressed. I had a f3 bengal before this kitten, who passed in September, but he was 17 years. I never noticed this with him, but I never spent as much time with him as a kitten I do Momo. I work from home now. Plus it took about a year for my last to warm up to people in general.

Momo and I can't thank you enough, and this forum. here's a pic I took a few weeks ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:27 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Bengalsmitten wrote:
There seems to be some irritation going on (redness) I would definitely stay on this. If the redness gets worse, take him to the Vet.

Yes there is a small amount of irritation/redness, its not as bad as the pic makes it seem IMHO. It's the same on both sides. I will for sure keep an eye on it. After all, Momo is my best bud :). In the meantime, I'm thankful he is not in any discomfort that I can tell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:42 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

tis normal 2 of my 4 had 2 sets at once and the baby ones just fell out.... god knows where they went though as i never recovered them, they were just gone from their mouths 1 day xx

Miki & My Beloved Bengals http://mybelovedbengals.blogspot.com/

Shiloh, Darcy, Rudy The Roodster & Ozzy...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:42 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

yep quite normal, both Toshi and Yuki had two sets for a while and one day you notice they have vanished without trace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:49 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thanks all, I'm so happy to hear. I will keep an eye on it JiC, but you all have made me feel comfortable :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:59 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

gordong11 wrote:
Thanks all, I'm so happy to hear. I will keep an eye on it JiC, but you all have made me feel comfortable :)

I panicked when I noticed Toshi has 2 sets about 3 days after he was neutered, when I looked it up online everything seemed to suggest it was retained baby teeth and was going to cause problems for the adult teeth.

I eventually made an appointment to take him back to the vet to get it looked at and the day before the appointment noticed all the baby teeth had vanished :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:18 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I think this is a very common thing: Tess's adult canines (both upper and lower) came through without her losing her baby ones - which gave her a fiercesome-looking yawn!

About two weeks later, they'd gone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:33 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thanks all, Both extra teeth have fallen out naturally like you said. I feel like a idiot for bring ing to your attemtion, but honestly never have seen anything like it before. All is well