It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:42 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Interstitial Cystitis
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:32 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hello,

I have a 4 year old neutered Bengal boy who has recently been diagnosed with interstitial cystitis. Unfortunately he may have a poultry allergy (he has intermittent vomiting, so I am trialling LID diets to isolate the potential allergens), so he cannot eat most of the prescription diets available for managing his condition. I am currently sorting through all the information about treatment and feline nutrition, and am contemplating a homemade rabbit-based urinary diet from a vet-approved recipe. If there are others who have successfully managed this condition I would love to hear about what you are doing, your opinions on what has worked, and how your cat has fared long-term. I'm willing to pay for treatments that work. I want to avoid wasting money on treatments that amount to little more than a hope and prayer.

Here is what my vet recommended:
-Cartrophen injections (eventually to be given 4 times a year, but need to build it up in his system first with more frequent dosages)
-Hills C/D stress diet (unfortunately this is a chicken-based diet, and my cat puked it up, so my vet and I are talking about how to replicate the beneficial stress-reducing effects of this diet through a homemade rabbit recipe with zylkene and triptophan added)
-Feliway classic diffuser (So far completely useless. Plugged it in the room where he was spraying after his recent attack and so far at best it has done nothing and at worse it may have increased his spraying frequency. I'm convinced this is snake oil.)
-Increased play time/attention

Anyone else have success managing this condition? What worked and what didn't?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:06 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hopefully a member who has dealt with this issue will come on and post. There appears to be a ton of information online -- may be truthful, may not. I don't know. It's just any time our babies get a specific issue, it is so hard to remedy. I wish you luck.