It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:38 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: sick babies!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:31 pm 
Senior Bengal

Hi eveyone - just some advice needed please. I have two bengals aged 15months and over the last week they been sick 4times. I dont no if it is one or both of them. They appear fine, they are playing, eating, stools are ok. I havent changed their food or give them any treats. I have asked my friends who are cat owners and they think that as long as their eating and stuff they should be fine. They also mentioned that it could be hairballs causing it. Due to personal reasons money is really tight, would anyone advise a trip to the vets? Obviously i would have to take both. The vet showed me how to check for dehydration and they dont appear to be dehydrated, and one of them has had sickness occasionally in the past so i know that he has a sensitive stomache. They were first sick last sun, then mon, friday and last one was sun just gone. What do you think??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:57 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Have they been wormed hun? Just a thought :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:04 pm 
Senior Bengal

ooh no neva thought of that!! I keep them in doors but i should try that thanks! x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:20 pm 
The Boss

Is it clear vomit?

If you've not wormed them recently then that'll be the probable cause like Tracey says.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:22 pm 
Senior Bengal

Hi there,
No its not clear its food that they've eaten. Its disgusting to describe but its in chunks with some liquid one night it was just brown liquid :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:35 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

How soon after eating their food do they vomit? Sometimes it can just be a case that they go tearing around the place too quickly and vomit their meal before it's had time to settle in their tummy. Alternatively, it could be hairballs - this is the time of year when they are shedding the most so it could be that. Have you got any kitty grass for them to chew (or spider plants which are a good alternative)? Often a cat will chew grass to stimulate the stomach to bring up a hairball.

If you're in any doubt though, take them to the vet. A simple consultation shouldn't cost too much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:17 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Are there any plant parts mixed in with the food and/or do you have any houseplants that show signs of cat damage? Also, are they maybe eating too much too fast? Mikesch does that sometimes when he's very hungry and then promptly throws it all back up again... Is it dry or wet food? If it is wet, is it at room temperature or cool (e.g. stored in the fridge)? Cold food could also induce vomiting. You could call the vet's office and ask for advice - that's what I usually do and so far advice given over the phone has always been free. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:46 pm 
Senior Bengal

thanks everyone. It is usually a while after food they vomit and i dont have any plants in the house cos they just wreck them! I have never heard of kitty grass what is it? I think they bring up wet and dry food just by looking at it. I will give them couple more days and see how it goes and if not i'll take them in fri when i get a morn off work. Thanks for the advice :) x x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:45 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

jenbo wrote:
I have never heard of kitty grass what is it?

This sort of stuff http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/supp ... /cat_grass

There's a little bit about it on this site (click the eating grass link or scroll down) http://www.moggies.co.uk/behaviour.html

If the vomit looks clearly like regurgitated food, then I suspect they're just eating too fast or exercising too soon but still sensible to keep an eye out and get advice from the vet if necessary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:01 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I had a cat that often threw its food back up, It would look like what i had just put in the bowl...unchewed and undigested. I figured unless she learned to slow down then she would go hungry as i wasnt going to keep feeding her every time she threw it back up. Hair balls can cause sickness too, only you would see hair balls in the sick, I had a cat over 16yrs and got quite an expert on that field.

You could try changing their diet to dried food, then it wont smell twice!! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:53 am 
Bengal Cat

Hi, just to put your mind at rest, bob does this regularly, we initially thought it was dio...diare.... the squirts lol, but having watched him eat, he wolfs it down then runs around then promptly vomits after half an hour lol. Think you with a sunday roast then half hour jogging!...... the very thought makes me queasy :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:23 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Our Tonky boy does it if he has any dry food with rice in it. He gobbles his food down whole without crunching it. The food swells in the stomach with the stomach liquids and, voila, the excess amount the stomach cannot hold is thrown back up. He will promptly try and re-eat it :oops:

Regards