It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:53 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:04 pm 
Bengal Kitten

:cry:

Greetings All,

I'm afraid it may be getting close to the time to say farewell to my baby girl, Lacey. She is 17 1/2 years old. We think she has gone deaf because her "meow" is louder than ever and she does it OFTEN. We've had to lock her in a room on the opposite side of the house at night because we couldn't get any sleep. Of course she doesn't understand why and it breaks my heart. She had a urinary infection in Feb and they diagnosed mild kidney disease but she was absolutely traumatized by us giving her the meds. I hated it too! She seems to also have kitty dementia because she will walk in a room and be VERY skittish like she has never been there before, then she does her "meow" which no one can understand unless you've had a Bengal. All of this and then at times she seems okay.

I'm really considering in-home euthanasia (mobile vet) so she doesn't have to be traumatized by being put in a carrier which she also HATES! During the constant vocalization I think it's time and then later when she seems somewhat okay I feel guilty and confused. I'd appreciate any thoughts or others experiences.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:33 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

When I lost my boy aged 5 to cancer I had the vet come to my house for the same reason I didn't want to traumatise him and he was very weak.

The only thing I regret and still feel guilty about is the vet and nurse that came with him wouldn't let me hold him while he was passing, the nurse held him by the scruff of his neck while the vet put the injection in and I felt as though I couldn't comfort him as he went, this still upsets me now.

If you decide on it at home make sure you are able to hold and love her as her time comes.

Bristol, UK

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:52 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

The hardest decision one has to make with their pets. As long as your baby is eating and drinking and using the litter box and still appears happy, I would wait with any decision. Cats usually let you know when it is time! 17-1/2 years for a bengal is very old. And kidney failure is very common in elderly cats. I had a moggie that had diabetes and kidney failure and got 2 insulin shots a day and subq fluids twice a day. When she finally decided to stop eating, I knew it was time. I could see she was no longer the happy cat she used to be and she was 17 years old as well.

My heart goes out to you as you watch her age. It's not easy for her either, but try to make her as comfortable as possible for as long as possible. I hope when the time comes, you find a passionate mobile vet who will allow you the time you need with your baby before letting her go. Once you make the decision, there is no turning back.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:07 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Every post on this thread waters my eyes... it even brought back sad memories that I prefer not to share.

OP, we all feel and could relate to what you're going through. All I can say, is God bless you both. It's a very hard decision to be followed by long silent difficult days.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:17 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

When I have said goodbye to all my animals, the vet comes to the house and my babies are held by me or one of my girls, whoever the particular animal is closest to. It's the hardest thing in the world. It does sound like your kitty could have a little dementia. If your baby is not suffering, is eating and drinking and safe inside, just keep a close eye on the situation. The trouble is that animals disguise pain and sometimes we miss the signs. Stay vigilant and you will know when the time has come. My only regrets are keeping my babies for too long because I love them too much.

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:58 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I feel for you! My sweetheart is sixteen and blind (cataracts), and he's starting to have some issues getting lost in rooms or freaking out for what seems to be no reason. However, he's eating, he's drinking, and he's still as social as ever. It's one of those questions every good cat parent grapples with, and whatever your decision, it comes from a place of love and wanting the best for Lacey.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:47 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Having recently had to make this decision myself, I understand how difficult it is.

I would caution, however, not to mistake discomfort for trauma. Having to have meds is no fun for any animal, but they tend to forget about the discomfort pretty quickly. If she is still active and interacting with you, that's a really good sign.

About the neurological thing - I have a kitty who has neuro issues, and sometimes she has what looks like a panic attack. She totally forgets where she is and who I am, and she howls loudly. But then it passes and she goes back to normal. We haven't put her on meds for it, because most of the time she is okay.